Major Tom?

Dannie138

My family (with 2 kids age 3 and 6) and I booked a tour with Major Tom. My sister, who prepaid with Major Tom, also joined us. We took one of the first tenders off the ship and when we got to port Major Tom shunted us to another operator (I forget their name - I think they are all basically the same.) Major Tom did not tell us he was doing this nor asked us if this was ok. I was later told by a fellow cruise pax that this is fairly common practice and this also happened to others in his group (his tour included other cruise pax who booked with a different company but ended up with the Major.) Did not realize we were with a different operator until after we paid. I would have at least protested if I knew I wasn't going with the guide I researched and reserved with.

This trip was on 10/30/08. About a month earlier, there was a drowning accident on the river. Since we wer traveling during the tail end of rainy season I wrote to Major Tom with some concerns/questions and he was VERY prompt and reassuring with his answers (it was posted on cc on NCL Jewel 10/28/08 rollcall).

It's a long drive to the river site, at least 45 minutes each way - I believe this is due mostly to poor road conditions and not to actual geographic distance. Uneventful and unstrenuous walk thru the woods - kids carried their own tubes with help from DH and me. I was busy minding the kids so didn't catch much of anything the guide said, he certainly didn't stop to have us sample any native fruits and bugs. I was bitten alive by skeeters on this walk. Once at the river we were split into 2 group of 7/8 linked with our feet. While the float down the river was enjoyable, it was also uneventful and unstrenuous walk. It was maybe 30/40 min float and not anywheres near high-action...water was very calm. Water sandals/shoes with good treads is a must.

We just returned from the Pearl and did cave tubbing with Major Tom.

We did not prepay nor did he ask us to. We were on the 2nd tender and when we got to the dock Major Tom was waiting for us.

I will agree it is a long drive to the river but they do stop for a 10 min break to get water.

I will say that at no time did I feel unsafe. Major Tom runs a 1st class operation. His staff is very friendly and took excellent care of us. Jr and Micheal were great with my 7yr old son and were always joking with him. When he got a little nervous in the caves Major Toms son, Minor Tom came over and held his hand and talked to him until he felt better.

I would recommend his tour to anyone, you will see other tours with people free floating and no life jackets. Major Tom is all about safety there is 1 guide for every 5-6 people and everyone must wear a life vest.

At the time we went (10/31/09) the water was fairly low, tame, and "refreshing". The walk to the river was a bit tiresome for the 3yo. Kids had no trouble in the water.

I forgot to mention that once we were dropped off to the other operator we had to follow him to his kiosk and wait for him to fill up his van that held about 18 pax. The wait was apprx 45 mins long. We are not shoppers so the tourist shops did not appeal to us. The wait was a letdown b/c I had specifically asked Major Tom (amongst many other reassurances) whether we could leave immediately for our trip as soon as we got to the dock and not have to wait for him to fill up his van. Major Tom confirmed via e-mail that there would be NO waiting.

In the end, Major Tom's reassurances to me didn't mean squat b/c he traded us to a different operator w/o my consent. I had spend a lot of time on cc doing my research and was very disappointed that Major Tom didn't deliver. And this other operator wasn't terrible, just not what Major Tom promised. In any case, Major Tom or not, it was the same river and the same scenery. Cavetubing was enjoyable , just not thrilling.

We will be back to Belize in April 09, cavetubing will not be on our agenda. Glad we did it, but not worth the travel time to do it again esp. considering the river part lasted like 30-40 minutes.

Oh, and as best as I can recall everyone I saw on the river had life vests and head gear. And we got back in plenty of time for more shopping at the port. Sister, me and 3yo ventured out beyond the port gates, a little scary looking, i.e., poor - we weren't harassed, but not much out there.

If going with Major Tom...Be prepared for scary, hot, stinky bus and while some of his tour operators must be quite good - I would have been terrified for any children to have been "led" on a tour by our frightfully inept guide. I will never let anyone I plan for, or cruise with...take the chance on this operator ruining our day when there are many other, more comfortable, more safe options.

Since I haven't been yet, I can't say if they are good or bad, but anyone with concerns should also read the thread entitled "Cave Tubing with Major Tom." The posts on there are overwhelmingly positive. I am very excited about the trip. I will happily post my opinions after I return. Hopefully they will be as positive as the vast majority.

cave-tubing dot net is who I booked through...and had done extensive research as I always do...and had found excellent reviews for Major Tom and his group. I DO believe that most people enjoy this experience, no matter who they book through...I also think that we probably had a uniquely bad experience - but we are returning to Belize in July and will be tubing again through another tour operator..and will be doing more caves than the others offer and will be in an Air-conditioned van, instead of packed like sardines in scary ex-school buses.

FYI...I am not a complainer...I am used to little problems here and there with excursions, etc....We have been cruising for years and I know that sometimes things aren't perfect and I'm soooo O.K. with that and normally take it all in stride...but this time it ruined my entire experience and am just thankful that no one got hurt...other than my bruises.

Archived