Starboard or port side cabin - Mexican Riviera

alaskafam

I'm trying to choose between a starboard or port balcony cabin for a spring Mexican Riviera cruise? Any suggestions? We are early risers, like drinking coffee on the balcony, and do spend a fair amount of time in the room. We also have the 6 pm seating for dinner.

If you're going to Cabo from the north, the port side (left) would be better. Most of our MR cruises we've gotten to Cabo a little later in the morning after cruising close the shore. The sea and beach against stark moutains is very beautiful and Los Arcos will greet you as you turn into the bay.

Thanks for your input! I am also wondering about sun exposure. Another blogger said that the port side has limited morning sun on the way south, while the starboard side enjoys long hours of afternoon sun. I'm not sure when that person cruised but I think it may have been a winter cruise. Ours is in April, and most of our sea days are on the way south. We are morning people who like to hang out and drink coffee on the balcony, if temps permit. With that in mind, any suggestions?

I'm not sure about that, other than you'll have the opposite on the way back. The only Mexican cruises we've done with a balcony cabin have all been on the aft. Our last was back to back so the sun kept changing as we went south, north, south and north again!

The first day out of S.D. or L.A. will most likely be a bit brisk, but in April, it will warm up quickly and be hot by the time you get to Cabo.

In general there is no way that someone can give you a 100% answer regarding the ports.

The Captain has the option to "park the ship" any way he wants.:cool:

So, as with Victory 2020, starboard has been facing the industrial side probably on about 80% of my cruises there - it's been faced the opposite way on the other 20%.;)

(and I agree with Victory 2020, that Mazatlan industrial view isn't the best).

But, for what you want, and your best bet - you personally should book port side. Most days it is more likely to fit into the "sun schedule" that fits "your schedule".

:D

Curt is right about never being sure which way you'll dock. Everytime we've been to Mazatlan (8 or 9 times)we've docked with the starboard pier side. It is a little noisy, but I enjoy the activity of the bustling port, especially since I'm not doing a thing. It's also fun to watch people returning after an afternoon of too many Margaritas!

Archived