Hotels in Clear Lake/NASA

knomad

We are sailing on Voyager February 15 and are looking to spend the night in the Clear Lake/NASA area.

Does anybody know what is going on with the Homewood Suites in Clear Lake? We have always stayed there before our cruises, but this time they say they are not open to the public and are not taking reservations. We are told to call back and talk to one certain person. Could they still be cleaning up from the hurricane? The Hilton, which I know was damaged, is up and running and taking reservations.

Any other suggestions for Clear Lake? We are looking at the Hampton Inn. Is it fairly new? Is it a nice place? The location looks convenient for restaurants, etc.

Sorry to ask so many questions - thank for any help you can give us!

I believe the Homewood Suites did have some hurricane damage and that some of the rooms are being rehabbed.

The Hampton Inn on Bay Area Blvd. is fairly new and the location is good. Also try the Comfort Suites on Texas Avenue and the La Quinta on Bay Area Blvd. Both are very new and in the same area as the Hampton.

We are sailing on Voyager February 15 and are looking to spend the night in the Clear Lake/NASA area.

Does anybody know what is going on with the Homewood Suites in Clear Lake? We have always stayed there before our cruises, but this time they say they are not open to the public and are not taking reservations. We are told to call back and talk to one certain person. Could they still be cleaning up from the hurricane? The Hilton, which I know was damaged, is up and running and taking reservations.

Any other suggestions for Clear Lake? We are looking at the Hampton Inn. Is it fairly new? Is it a nice place? The location looks convenient for restaurants, etc.

Sorry to ask so many questions - thank for any help you can give us!

There are several nice places on or near NASA Parkway/ NASA Road 1. These include Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, Hampton Inn, the Hilton on Clear Lake and, if money is no object, South Shore Harbor Resort (on the south side of the lake). If you just want a clean, cheap room with free breakfast, there is a Super 8 at the corner of Egret Bay Blvd and NASA Parkway.

There are lots of great restaurants in the area. If you stay in a hotel on NASA Road 1, I recommend Seabrook Classic Cafe (great homestyle meals...try the chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken), Mely's (Mexican....GREAT margaritas!), or East Star Sushi Bar (all you can eat buffet....much more than just sushi....although the Windjammer may be all the buffet you want for a week :D). On the south side of the lake, try Joe Lee's....not much atmosphere, but GREAT, fresh-caught seafood....and very reasonable.

Many of the hotels in the area are still housing families who were displaced by Hurricane Ike, so that may account for the difficulty in finding a room. I know that storm is ancient history for people in other parts of the country, if they even heard about it at all, but we are still living it everyday in this area. :(

Thank you for your replies.

The odd thing was, we were told we could book a room for the next couple of nights, but they couldn't tell us anything about February. It almost sounded as if they are taking walk ins, but not reservations.

One of our group finally did get to talk to the right person at the hotel, and it seems to be a combination of things - hurricane damage, a planned renovation, and long term guests. She said that they were having to shuffle long term guests around as they redid rooms. How awful - their homes damaged or destroyed in the hurricane and now having to constantly pack up and move from room to room in the hotel. My heart goes out to them.

We were able to make reservations at the Hampton Inn, although I understand that they are having some renovation work done, too.

Thanks, too, for the recommendations on the restaurants! Sounds like some great choices!

Archived