How does one find out about an upgrade?

Do you just happen upon it while looking at your reservation, or get a phone call? Sent something in the mail, or an e-mail? I've got a pretty good cabin chosen on Freedom 2/10, and I would like the option to keep it if by chance I was offered an upgrade. Any info appreciated.

Do you just happen upon it while looking at your reservation, or get a phone call? Sent something in the mail, or an e-mail? I've got a pretty good cabin chosen on Freedom 2/10, and I would like the option to keep it if by chance I was offered an upgrade. Any info appreciated.

a couple of weeks before our first rci cruise, the dw was checking in online and seen the cabin number was changed...that is when we found out the we were upgraded from an ov to our first balcony!!!

I guess it depends what the upgrade would be! I really like my aft balcony 1402, but if it meant getting into a suite, well maybe I'd like to think about that! It sounds like people aren't notified before hand, I booked directly with RCCL also.

Thanks all for your input.

With RCCL if they upgrade you, they do it automatically - no chance to say yes or no. You just log into your reservation one day and discover you've been assigned to another cabin. If you do not want an upgrade or only want certain upgrades, then you need to mark your reservation No Upgrade, because there isn't a way to say I want X stateroom but not Y stateroom if I am upgraded.

With RCCL if they upgrade you, they do it automatically - no chance to say yes or no. You just log into your reservation one day and discover you've been assigned to another cabin. If you do not want an upgrade or only want certain upgrades, then you need to mark your reservation No Upgrade, because there isn't a way to say I want X stateroom but not Y stateroom if I am upgraded.

When we became D+, we were sent a package from RCI which stated upgrades to D+ if available. Both times we were given upgrades, they called first, and we actually had a choice of cabins on one sailing.

I don't know if that's changed or not, we haven't been offered one in over a year as the ones we have chosen have sold out.

When we became D+, we were sent a package from RCI which stated upgrades to D+ if available. Both times we were given upgrades, they called first, and we actually had a choice of cabins on one sailing.

I don't know if that's changed or not, we haven't been offered one in over a year as the ones we have chosen have sold out.

The Diamond Plus upgrades are handled differently than other upgrades - in fact they are handled by a completely different department.

We have a "do not upgrade" note on our Jewel booking for this fall because we have a PRIME mid-hump balcony cabin. I learned the hard way.....we had a hump D1 (on the end with the larger balcony) on our 14 night Alaska cruise and about a month before sailing I looked at our reservation and noticed we had been upgraded to a JS. Nice upgrade, but the JS was the third from the back on the starboard side, right under the WJ, which begins to rev up at about 4:30 am, just in case you're interested. Beautiful cabin and we enjoyed having it for the long cruise, but the location was not the most desirable. I DID learn to not forget anything when leaving the cabin!!!

We did not receive any kind of notification about this and when I asked my TA about it she went through all the correspondence at her agency and there was nothing.

Are these GUAR(guaranty) reservations that are being discussed or can you also be upgraded if you have booked a specific cabin? How do I check and see if my reservation is set to allow upgrades or not?

I guess we are discussing non gurantee cabins. If you have a particuliar cabin & you do not want an upgrade then either you have to let your TA know, or if you booked through RCI then you call them & tell them no upgrade. If you do not care & they need your cabin for a reason then the upgrade fairy may visit you. When I was upgraded on Celebrity & inquired I was told if I did not want it they would let me have my original cabin back. Because I was upgraded to a sky suite cabin I was more then happy to keep that upgrade.

Are these GUAR(guaranty) reservations that are being discussed or can you also be upgraded if you have booked a specific cabin? How do I check and see if my reservation is set to allow upgrades or not?

We were booked in a specific cabin and were upgraded from that.

I guess we are discussing non gurantee cabins. If you have a particuliar cabin & you do not want an upgrade then either you have to let your TA know, or if you booked through RCI then you call them & tell them no upgrade. If you do not care & they need your cabin for a reason then the upgrade fairy may visit you. When I was upgraded on Celebrity & inquired I was told if I did not want it they would let me have my original cabin back. Because I was upgraded to a sky suite cabin I was more then happy to keep that upgrade.

How did you find out you were upgraded? How long do you think you were upgraded before you called and inquired? I do check often, so I'm sure I"ll notice quickly if it did happen. I may call and put a no upgrade on my reservation, because if we did get upgraded, it probably would only be to a JS, and thats not an upgrade to my aft balcony IMHO!;)

Archived