Barbados excursion advice wanted

kevinmm

We are scheduled for the RCCL Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise in 18 days.

I am interested in more than one excursion in Barbados, and they each come recommended.

I've been to Mammoth Cave in (Kentucky?) and thought it was great; my wife wants to see Harrison's Cave in Barbados, which is supposed to be great as well, but I was wondering if 'a cave is a cave is a cave' and whether or not something else on Barbados would be just as spectacular?

Does anyone think I can take in a second excursion if I went to the cave?

If you don't think that would be possible, please help me choose between the following RCCL excursions, listed in decreasing order of my preference (so far):

BB87 - Harrison's Cave 2h15m

BB06 - Atlantis Submarine 2h30m

BB51 - Tiami Sail & Snorkel with Turtles 3h30m

BB90 - 4 x 4 Island Safari and Harrisons Cave Expedition 3h

BB13 - Malibu Beach Break 3h30m

THANKS!

It looks like the excursion...

has the cave plus you get to see some of the island.

I go to Barbados every year. The cave is pretty good. It's a tram ride & not pedestrian. It stops once for passengers to get off and take pictures for about 10 minutes.

The 4 x 4 portion sounds better. It will probably take you to Bathsheba and the east coast. The vehicles would be small, instead of being on a big bus. The east coast landscape is much more interesting than the overcrowded west coast which is hotel after hotel with no space in between. Get away from the east coast and go into the countryside. There are cliffs along the coast, strange rock formations in the east and south, crashing waves in the north, sugar cane fields, monkeys, historic churches (look up St. John's Parish) and a few rum factories.

We're also leaving Feb 7th. Our RCL excursion Harbour cruise got cancelled. So, now we're looking at something to do. Any suggestions? Looking at Blue Trident tours or Kool Kat tours? Has anyone used these tour guides?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know anything about Kool Kat, etc. I went on Cool Runnings last year. It's a much bigger boat than Kool Kat, but it was a great day. I'll definitely do Cool Runnings again. If you want to snorkel and see the turtles, a boat ride is the best way to go. Snorkelling from the beach is not that great in Barbados - limited locations and a ways from the beach. The boat tours take you to a reef and the turtles, supply food, drinks and equipment. You won't see any of the island that way, though. What is your priority? Seeing the sights in Barbados or getting wet and having fun? I guess it depends on what you're doing in the other ports.

We did the Tiami Sail & Snorkle (also from the Serenade just 2 weeks ago). We wanted a leisurely day with sun, water and fun! The weather was picture perfect and the catamaran ride was just wonderful--the crew was entertaining. Snorkeling with the turtles was interesting. Definitely not the best snorkeling (too many people) but since they feed the turtles there are abundant fish and several turtles (one came right up to my nose!) and it definitely was fun. We were one of the first boats out so we did get there before conditions got very crowded. Perfect weather made for a perfect day.

Enjoy your trip!

It looks like the excursion...

has the cave plus you get to see some of the island.

I go to Barbados every year. The cave is pretty good. It's a tram ride & not pedestrian. It stops once for passengers to get off and take pictures for about 10 minutes.

The 4 x 4 portion sounds better. It will probably take you to Bathsheba and the east coast. The vehicles would be small, instead of being on a big bus. The east coast landscape is much more interesting than the overcrowded west coast which is hotel after hotel with no space in between. Get away from the east coast and go into the countryside. There are cliffs along the coast, strange rock formations in the east and south, crashing waves in the north, sugar cane fields, monkeys, historic churches (look up St. John's Parish) and a few rum factories.

Yes, agreed 100%, We had 4x4 safari with paradise beach, we loved it. Yes the 4x4 portion came with Bathsheba (the most photograph site in BB), the ride was fun.

Wow!

Have I been wasting a lot of time trying to get a response from Tiami Catamaran and Glory Tours!

I want to phone them, but I can't find a phone number for either operation and I have emailed every single contact link I have found on the Internet, including "Sarah's" own email addresses.

- Nothing - I got a response that one of them opened my email, but I have yet to receive a reply from either.

I am trying very hard to arrange a tour with either of them, but it just doesn't seem like they can be bothered with me.

*tisk tisk*

I may have to settle with an unhappy combination of RCCL excursions, but hey - they are all so well recommended, I don't think I have anything to lose.

Thanks for all your tips and advice.

"Funbarbados" replied to me right after I posted my last comment.

Tiami Cruises didn't really answer the specific questions about scheduling that I asked them mind you, but they did reply with enough information to allow me to make a decision.

Having seen a review about Glory Tours double-charging a credit card and another review about them not showing up for a reservation without warning, I had asked them what their policies were regarding cancellations, reimbursements and reservation fees.

I still haven't heard from them and I won't be booking with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived