Christmas in the Bahamas- SURF or TURF

milt

We are sailing on the Majesty of the Seas from Miami on Dec. 24th. Can anyone advise me if there is a good chance we will have decent beach weather for swimming? Is it windy this time of year at either Coco Cay or Cable Beach? If the weather is too cool for the beach I will plan on touring?

Hello, we too are considering this cruise but you are the first person we have found who is going also.Of course I wanted to know about the shopping since it is a holiday weekend there.Have you found a roll call for the sailing?I have looked but with no luck.There are plenty of rooms left so we are waiting a bit to find out more info on what will be open.

Hello. We haven't seen any messages about this cruise either. We'll be docked at Coco Cay on Christmas Day. It is a "beach only" place, so nowhere to shop there. The ship docks in Nassua on Boxer Day Dec 26th, a holiday in the Bahamas. I believe most stores will be open. There is a big celebration at night so many may close early. I still need to get more information about that. Have you been to the Bahamas before? What is a roll call? I haven't posted much with Cruise Critic.

We are sailing on the Majesty of the Seas from Miami on Dec. 24th. Can anyone advise me if there is a good chance we will have decent beach weather for swimming? Is it windy this time of year at either Coco Cay or Cable Beach? If the weather is too cool for the beach I will plan on touring?

We were on a Disney cruise for Christmas last year. December 26, Boxing Day, we were in Nassau. If you get into port early, get off and watch the Junkanoo Parade. Because of the crowds of people, the streets were filthy afterwards. The day after, we were at disney's private island and it was way too cool and windy for me to go in the water. My two teens did get in and enjoyed themselves.

Thanks for getting back to me with the information. What are the times for the Junkaroo Parade? If the weather is too cold for the beach I would tour the Atlantis resort after taking a walk from the pier. I think it is about 1-1/2 miles and a nice opportunity to walk off some of those newly acquired calories. Can I expect a line at the entrance for purchasing tickets? Is there a guided tour ? I am looking forward to this trip even though it is a short one. I hope the weather and the Majesty doesn't disappoint.

Thanks for getting back to me with the information. What are the times for the Junkaroo Parade? If the weather is too cold for the beach I would tour the Atlantis resort after taking a walk from the pier. I think it is about 1-1/2 miles and a nice opportunity to walk off some of those newly acquired calories. Can I expect a line at the entrance for purchasing tickets? Is there a guided tour ? I am looking forward to this trip even though it is a short one. I hope the weather and the Majesty doesn't disappoint.

We were off the ship around 10 am and cought the very end of the parade so it must have started early. Everyone in the shops were talking about the parade and the group that won. Apparently they thought the winners bribed the judges or something like that. As for the Atlantis tour, I am really not sure about the ticket policy.

Were there a lot of shops open on the 26th or just a few?I emailed Bahamas tourism and they told me that most stores would be closed from late on the 23rd till the 28th!:rolleyes:

A lot of the smaller tourist and gift shops were open. I can't say that I recall the bigger jewelry stores being open but then again I wasn't looking at them.

Thanks for the info.We just want to buy souviner type junk, t-shirts ,magnet for the fridge, stuff like that.Not really looking for much jewelry, maybe a pair of tanzanite earrings, but the ship may have those.Guess we'll probably be on baord with yall. The Sovereign will be in Nassau on Christmas day or we would sail on her instead since it is about half the driving time as Miami.

I've read that the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island is a Vegas style theme resort. Has anyone been to the Atlantis Resort? Is it worth a trip and how much time do you need to see it? Is it crowded on cruise ship days and when is the best time, morning or afternoon?

we just returned from Nassau for a weekend trip(not on a cruise) Atlantis is worth the trip over. Its not too far from the port. The aqaurium is AMAZING. It is very much what you'd expect in Vegas. When the ships are in port, it is a little crazy downtown. The straw market is a madhouse! People are super pushy (I'm sure because of limited time) Senor Frogs is pretty expensive ($12 for 2 beers) the weather was amazing. It was 82 and sunny with a slight breeze. I highly recommend a small local cafe right on Bay Ave. Its calles Cafe Skans. The grilled Mahi for lunch in fantastic!! We did a day trip to Rose Island and it was breathtaking but also super relaxing!! Have fun!!

• 1 month later...

Archived