Cruise on Millenium Sydney to Auckland March 2009

Benjis

Travelling around Australia and New zealand before and after cruise from Sydney to Auckland. What dress code is required on board would one normal suite be sufficient or do I need to take both evening suite as well

My husband and I are set to cruise on the Millenium in March 2009, from Sydney to Auckland. Of course, I'm temperature conversion impaired (e.g. 22C equals WHAT in Farenheit???) I too have been wondering how "dressed-up" we need to be for evenings?

Are floor length gowns for women de rigour? Can I fit in with the crowd wearing knee length evening dress? Is black tie required for the gents or, can my dear one wear his standard business suit? We love the social aspect of cruising and would certainly want to fit nicely in with our new friends at our accustomary "TABLE FOR 8". TIA!

Travelling around Australia and New zealand before and after cruise from Sydney to Auckland. What dress code is required on board would one normal suite be sufficient or do I need to take both evening suite as well

My husband and I are set to cruise on the Millenium in March 2009, from Sydney to Auckland. Of course, I'm temperature conversion impaired (e.g. 22C equals WHAT in Farenheit???) I too have been wondering how "dressed-up" we need to be for evenings?

Are floor length gowns for women de rigour? Can I fit in with the crowd wearing knee length evening dress? Is black tie required for the gents or, can my dear one wear his standard business suit? We love the social aspect of cruising and would certainly want to fit nicely in with our new friends at our accustomary "TABLE FOR 8". TIA!

Hi Benjis & Pugsruleno1, I am new to cruising with an american cruise line and have recently asked the same questions. We are travelling march1 syd-auck and apparently tuxes are not uncommon on Mille. However, my husband (aka mr grumpy) will be wearing a suit because he will not wear a tux. Women can wear cocktail dresses more so now - rather than full evening gowns from what i have learned in the last few weeks. A good idea is to look up the thread "Millenium -Sydney to Auckland - March 1, 2009" as there is a lot of information there. This thread can be found under Millenium Roll Calls http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=12170216. There is differing information out there though as I had posted questions in a new thread re: attire http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900898&highlight, just to then read criticisms by others regarding "underdressing" at times - see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=910802.

:confused:WHO KNOWS?!?!?!:confused:

The bottom line is that I bought a couple of medium length black dresses for the formal nights. My husband will wear a suit for the formal nights and slacks for the informal for dining at night. Hope this helps - look at some of the links to find out what you will be comfortable in.

Oh yeah, by the way 22 Celcius :cool: is about 72 farenheit (I worked out some coversions just in case the ship uses farenheit). Have you signed up for the Connections Party? If u r on the same cruise (March 1) there are currently 63 people signed up so a good way to meet people at the start of the cruise, hope to see you there, Lisa

PS I'm still stressing about the whole tipping thing!! Gonna prepay and hope I don't get harrassed at the time for tips!!!:confused:

Hi Benjis & Pugsruleno1, I am new to cruising with an american cruise line and have recently asked the same questions. We are travelling march1 syd-auck and apparently tuxes are not uncommon on Mille. However, my husband (aka mr grumpy) will be wearing a suit because he will not wear a tux. Women can wear cocktail dresses more so now - rather than full evening gowns from what i have learned in the last few weeks. A good idea is to look up the thread "Millenium -Sydney to Auckland - March 1, 2009" as there is a lot of information there. This thread can be found under Millenium Roll Calls http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=12170216. There is differing information out there though as I had posted questions in a new thread re: attire http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900898&highlight, just to then read criticisms by others regarding "underdressing" at times - see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=910802.

:confused:WHO KNOWS?!?!?!:confused:

The bottom line is that I bought a couple of medium length black dresses for the formal nights. My husband will wear a suit for the formal nights and slacks for the informal for dining at night. Hope this helps - look at some of the links to find out what you will be comfortable in.

Oh yeah, by the way 22 Celcius :cool: is about 72 farenheit (I worked out some coversions just in case the ship uses farenheit). Have you signed up for the Connections Party? If u r on the same cruise (March 1) there are currently 63 people signed up so a good way to meet people at the start of the cruise, hope to see you there, Lisa

PS I'm still stressing about the whole tipping thing!! Gonna prepay and hope I don't get harrassed at the time for tips!!!:confused:

We were on the Jan 4th Millennium cruise from Sydney to Auckland.

I honestly have to wonder if we were on the same ship as those who are complaining about the "lack of enforcement" of dress codes and other rules!

What we saw was that most people complied with the dress code, which was "smart casual" on most evenings and "formal" on 3 evenings. While there may have been the occasional person who underdressed, most people complied. And it they did not, it was none of our business and did not ruin our cruise! Some men wore a tux, but the majority did not.

DH wore slacks and a shirt (changed into slightly smarter than the clothes he wore all day) for most eveings and wore a dark suit with white shirt and a tie for the formal evenings.

I wore slacks and a blouse for most evenings and black trousers and a fancy blouse for the formal evenings.

Please don't stress about the tips. We prepaid and no one hassled us. You will be given an envelope for each person normally tipped, along with a voucher to insert in the envelope - this tells the staff that their tip has been prepaid.

I guarantee you will not be hassled about tips!!! It is very discreet. And you will be fine in a cocktail dress--some will be more dressed up, some less, and you will fit right in. Promise!

Remember that the nights that are not 'formal' are now 'smart casual'--meaning country club or what you would wear to an upscale restaurant at home. No need for a jacket for your DH on smart casual evenings unless he prefers to wear one. I brought one pair of nice white slacks and black slacks, then a variety of nice tops (generally nicer than what I would wear to work) and fit right in. The fact that you are even thinking about it means you will be fine!!! It's the people who don't pay any attention that get everyone in a huff.

Cathy

My DH won't wear one either and doesn't even want to pack a suit especially given the luggage limitations. He bought a nice black travel sport jacket from travelsmith.com ( I am sure you have equivalent companies) - in a microfiber non wrinkle fabric -then he has his black chino type pants and he takes a white shirt and a tie - his tux. No one has ever said a word to him and we have been on alot of different cruises. We women can pretty much wear anything we wish - slacks, nice blouse, or a dress - it doesn't matter as long as you are not in shorts and a T shirt though some of the mini dresses I have seen are shorter than the shorts I wear. LOL. Have a good time - we took this cruise and the crew is wonderful and we had a great time.

My DH won't wear one either and doesn't even want to pack a suit especially given the luggage limitations. He bought a nice black travel sport jacket from travelsmith.com ( I am sure you have equivalent companies) - in a microfiber non wrinkle fabric -then he has his black chino type pants and he takes a white shirt and a tie - his tux. No one has ever said a word to him and we have been on alot of different cruises. We women can pretty much wear anything we wish - slacks, nice blouse, or a dress - it doesn't matter as long as you are not in shorts and a T shirt though some of the mini dresses I have seen are shorter than the shorts I wear. LOL. Have a good time - we took this cruise and the crew is wonderful and we had a great time.

Thanks Tupper10, I feel ok with what I'm taking just have to check out what DH thinks he will be! We'll have to see if I approve!!!LOL

Hi. We are frequent cruise travelers but have never been to this area. What excursions did you take? do you know of people outside of the cruise line who do very good tours?

I, too, do not care what the others wear!

We were on the Jan 4th Millennium cruise from Sydney to Auckland.

I honestly have to wonder if we were on the same ship as those who are complaining about the "lack of enforcement" of dress codes and other rules!

What we saw was that most people complied with the dress code, which was "smart casual" on most evenings and "formal" on 3 evenings. While there may have been the occasional person who underdressed, most people complied. And it they did not, it was none of our business and did not ruin our cruise! Some men wore a tux, but the majority did not.

DH wore slacks and a shirt (changed into slightly smarter than the clothes he wore all day) for most eveings and wore a dark suit with white shirt and a tie for the formal evenings.

I wore slacks and a blouse for most evenings and black trousers and a fancy blouse for the formal evenings.

Please don't stress about the tips. We prepaid and no one hassled us. You will be given an envelope for each person normally tipped, along with a voucher to insert in the envelope - this tells the staff that their tip has been prepaid.

Archived