Smoking

tulips*n*truffles

Lets face it, on turn around day they don't address the problem of smoke cleaning any room unless it's obvious that a heavy smoker had been in there previously. They actually have less time to clean rooms than during the week & only the people who complain will get the "treatment". Most rooms don't have the problem to begin with because the room air is constantly being changed with the ventilator in the bathroom- 24/7.

Lets face it, on turn around day they don't address the problem of smoke cleaning any room unless it's obvious that a heavy smoker had been in there previously. They actually have less time to clean rooms than during the week & only the people who complain will get the "treatment". Most rooms don't have the problem to begin with because the room air is constantly being changed with the ventilator in the bathroom- 24/7.

Do you leave the bathroom door open 24/7? Just curious how the exhaust unit would help with the door closed. BTW - it isn't that effective anyway as I have found the mirror steams up when showering with the door closed or partly open.

Ron

Cabin Stewards have a helper on turnaround days.

They actually have less time to clean rooms than during the week & only the people who complain will get the "treatment". Most rooms don't have the problem to begin with because the room air is constantly being changed with the ventilator in the bathroom- 24/7.

Do you leave the bathroom door open 24/7? Just curious how the exhaust unit would help with the door closed. BTW - it isn't that effective anyway as I have found the mirror steams up when showering with the door closed or partly open.

Ron

If we're not using the bathroom the door is always open a l little. There's quite a gap at the bottom to provide constant ventilation.

you can buy cartons of cigerettes onboard-- jsut cant smoke them because Princess holds them til the last night.

correcto - just buy them on shore and save $'s over their prices as well. That's what I do in the Caribbean and Mexico.

They are very effective in getting rid of the smoke smell. They use an Ozone generator. O3 (Oxygen 3 ) is unstable O2 is what we need breathe. Ozone is a pollutant and a carcinogen.

They replace the carcinogen you can smell in the smoke for a carcinogen (O3) that you can not smell and everyone is happy :eek:

The O3 breaks down to form free radicals of Oxygen which reacts with the smoke to eliminate the smell. As long as the room does not smell they do not get complaints so why ban smoking when you can just flood the room with a carcinogen and get nothing but happy passengers.

Not only is smoking in bed a fire hazard but now you know the smoke carcinogen will simply be replaced with other carcinogens. (I wonder if any lawyers read this thread :cool:)

I think they should not allow smoking in the rooms and only on the balconies. Our rooms should be safe from carcinogens and potential fire hazards.

Smokers need to be tolerated as they are people with an addiction they can not shake. But they need to be doing it on the balconies where the smoke goes out to sea.

You can also carry up to 2 empty (no fuel) Zippo lighters in your checked baggage. If you buy a special case http://www.amazon.com/Colibri-Tranzpack-Approved-Airline-Lighter/dp/B000J0KUB0 you can carry up to 2 fueled lighters in your checked baggage. TSA still prohibits any jet type (torch) lighters so make sure you only bring the standard "yellow flame" type disposables like the Bic.

(Brandi, don't forget about the sailaway meet n greet at the aft pool bar!) :D

that is great info to know. can you take any liquid, any size in a checked bag on the plane?

oh and dont worry i wont!! :D im getting more excited every second!!

you can buy cartons of cigerettes onboard-- jsut cant smoke them because Princess holds them til the last night.

Are you serious, or just poking fun? My first time on Princess is next month, and we start off with 2 sea days.

Wendy

This makes me laugh. More really stupid, stupid rules. If Irons and Candles are such threats to safety on a ship (and I agree that they could be), then cigarettes and cigars should also be banned in staterooms, and only allowed in certain public areas where they can be watched.

Luckily, I have never had a problem with smoke smell in my stateroom. I have had a few instances of smelling too much smoke on the balcony, but they were not smoking tobacco. :eek:

Of the 63 ship fires since 1934, only one has been confirmed as started by a cigarette. The rest are all electrical in nature or start in the engine room or are arson.

And, "they" don't need to be watched. 99% of smokers on a ship are adults and don't need a nanny........

On the other hand, the morons who bring on irons and candles with open flames disregard the fact that an unattended candle is 4 times more likely to start a fire onboard than a cigarette....and, ignore the fact that cabins on cruise ships aren't wired for the sort of electrical drain that irons use.

Laundry rooms on cruise ships are specially wired for irons....and heavily insulated to confine any fires.

Are you serious, or just poking fun? My first time on Princess is next month, and we start off with 2 sea days.

Wendy

Cigarettes sold onboard are like purchasing alcohol, duty free. Princess will deliver both purchases the last night onboard. Only cigarettes sold for your use will be by the pack at the bars (limited types) and are about $4 per pack. A CC roll call member ran into this problem last week, poor planning. Plan accordingly when you pack before your cruise.

If you are visiting St. Thomas or St. Martin or some of the other ports, you can purchase them there and carry them back to your stateroom, these are not help like some alcohol purchases made on the islands and brought back onboard.

Not only is smoking in bed a fire hazard but now you know the smoke carcinogen will simply be replaced with other carcinogens. (I wonder if any lawyers read this thread :cool:)

Yes, actually, lawyers do read these threads :D

http://www.fin-tek.com/The-O-Zone/What-Is-Ozone;jsessionid=0a0104451f43c918b0797d3848579f629540811c2415.e3eSbNmQaheLe34Tb40

There you go, letting the facts get in the way of a perfectly good myth about how Princess is trying to kill us all with ozone...

Ozone is a well known pollutant

BTW, it is not just Princess and cruise lines. This is a common practice at most Hotels. The hotels just do not do it as much because they have designated nonsmoking rooms. This reduces the frequency of having to use ozone generators in the hotel industry.

Ozone is a well known pollutant

BTW, it is not just Princess and cruise lines. This is a common practice at most Hotels. The hotels just do not do it as much because they have designated nonsmoking rooms. This reduces the frequency of having to use ozone generators in the hotel industry.

Yes, ozone in concentration is a pollutant and can cause health concerns, but in the extremely low levels used to "clear a room" and with the dissipation rate of it deteriorating into oxygen it's not something that concerns me. The chemicals that they use to clean your bedsheets, bathroom counter, and shower in the room are more toxic in the long run. I was, in my original reply, referring specifically to the myth that ozone is carcinogenic. It can cause already existing deleterious genes to speed up, but there have been no cases in humans that I've ever come across where ozone caused cancer to occur. There are a couple of studies in lab mice, but I question those since mice in general, and especially lab mice, are extremely prone to carrying genes for cancer. I work with ozone generators and there are precautions that are necessary, but for the most part it's safer than the vast majority of chemicals used in the cleaning industry.

If we're not using the bathroom the door is always open a l little. There's quite a gap at the bottom to provide constant ventilation.

Try holding a piece of toilet tissue near the ventilator - there is very little negative pressure there.

Ron

Yes, ozone in concentration is a pollutant and can cause health concerns, but in the extremely low levels used to "clear a room" and with the dissipation rate of it deteriorating into oxygen it's not something that concerns me. The chemicals that they use to clean your bedsheets, bathroom counter, and shower in the room are more toxic in the long run. I was, in my original reply, referring specifically to the myth that ozone is carcinogenic. It can cause already existing deleterious genes to speed up, but there have been no cases in humans that I've ever come across where ozone caused cancer to occur. There are a couple of studies in lab mice, but I question those since mice in general, and especially lab mice, are extremely prone to carrying genes for cancer. I work with ozone generators and there are precautions that are necessary, but for the most part it's safer than the vast majority of chemicals used in the cleaning industry.

Let me understand this. You do not believe the animal studies that are used to test every carcinogen. You are willing to accept the damage that may occur to human genes.

So lets have health and safety issues (fire in a cabin) ignored so the cruise lines can make a few extra dollars.

If I had said the tobacco companies would pay many billions in restitution to the states in the 1960's people would have said I was crazy. One day someone potentially the state of Florida under a future administration might sue the cruise lines for billions for detrimental contributory affects to health to help support outrageous medicare expenses in the not to distant future.

The cruise lines do not care about passenger health and safety as much as they do a few extra dollars. They could end up loosing a small fortune if they continue their current smoking policies.

Let me understand this. You do not believe the animal studies that are used to test every carcinogen. You are willing to accept the damage that may occur to human genes.

So lets have health and safety issues (fire in a cabin) ignored so the cruise lines can make a few extra dollars.

If I had said the tobacco companies would pay many billions in restitution to the states in the 1960's people would have said I was crazy. One day someone potentially the state of Florida under a future administration might sue the cruise lines for billions for detrimental contributory affects to health to help support outrageous medicare expenses in the not to distant future.

The cruise lines do not care about passenger health and safety as much as they do a few extra dollars. They could end up loosing a small fortune if they continue their current smoking policies.

I'll type slowly if it will help you understand. Ozone does not CAUSE cancer even at levels that are more than 100 times the standard exposure for air purification. At elevated levels used for disinfection, problems can arise in the respiratory tract and circulatory system if the proper precautions and wait times are not followed. And no, when studies are done using a compound that is known to accelerate deleterious genes through exposure to levels of concentration that are far beyond any normal use I don't believe that the study is viable. The mice in the studies I've read were exposed to levels that were fatal and were between 100 and 200 times standard concentration. Disinfection levels are significantly higher than air purification levels of ozone and would not be used in a room destined to have occupants within the next 6 to 8 hours. Many of the household air purifiers (Sharper Image, Honeywell, Brookstone, etc) have had ozone generators built in for about 8 years now, I challenge you to find me any credible correlation to those units causing cancer in a human. You're significantly more likely to get and die from E-coli from someone making your Whopper JR at Burger King than to have negative effects from ozone air purification. I do not smoke, I never have and firmly believe that it's a disgusting habit (especially after watching several family members die from lung cancer and emphysema). My original comment stands, there have been no credible studies in 70 years showing ozone to be a carcinogen.

I'll type slowly if it will help you understand. Ozone does not CAUSE cancer even at levels that are more than 100 times the standard exposure for air purification. At elevated levels used for disinfection, problems can arise in the respiratory tract and circulatory system if the proper precautions and wait times are not followed. And no, when studies are done using a compound that is known to accelerate deleterious genes through exposure to levels of concentration that are far beyond any normal use I don't believe that the study is viable. The mice in the studies I've read were exposed to levels that were fatal and were between 100 and 200 times standard concentration. Disinfection levels are significantly higher than air purification levels of ozone and would not be used in a room destined to have occupants within the next 6 to 8 hours. Many of the household air purifiers (Sharper Image, Honeywell, Brookstone, etc) have had ozone generators built in for about 8 years now, I challenge you to find me any credible correlation to those units causing cancer in a human. You're significantly more likely to get and die from E-coli from someone making your Whopper JR at Burger King than to have negative effects from ozone air purification. I do not smoke, I never have and firmly believe that it's a disgusting habit (especially after watching several family members die from lung cancer and emphysema). My original comment stands, there have been no credible studies in 70 years showing ozone to be a carcinogen.

Thats Funny as all of those air purification systems can not be sold any more .And had to be remoded so they don't release ozone.

Thats Funny as all of those air purification systems can not be sold any more .And had to be remoded so they don't release ozone.

It was because Ozone screws up your respiratory system, not that it caused cancer..

Problem is, your statement is not true. California banned the use of ozone generating air cleaners in 2007 (becomes effective this year) but they are still available in the other 49 states and any of the dozens of ionizing air cleaners available emit ozone as a byproduct of the ionization process. Now, whether or not they're effective is another story. Quite a few studies (including one at the Mayo clinic) have shown that the ozone generating air cleaners are significantly less effective than either source control of pollutants or heavy air exchange (opening a door or window for example). Several companies did discontinue the production of ozone generators, primarily because of the effect on the respiratory system, but also because they were proven time and time again in tests to be less effective than the claims made. A standard HEPA filter is much more effective than either a ozone generator or ionization filter for odor control. The ozone generators I use are disinfection level units requiring a respirator and other safety measures, but they run levels much higher than the 2 to 10 parts per billion that the air cleaners emit at a distance of three feet (50 parts per billion is considered by the EPA to be safe exposure levels).

It was because Ozone screws up your respiratory system, not that it caused cancer..

You're 100% correct here. It was the potential problems in the respiratory (and to a lesser degree circulatory) system that could be caused by increased exposure to ozone that prompted many companies to discontinue their ozone generating air cleaners. I don't disagree with their decision to do so, since the constant exposure definitely has the likelihood of causing problems with breathing, especially with those that have existing respiratory problems. Unfortunately, people with asthma are exactly who the companies tended to target sales...

Maybe you should read your own words slowly. :confused:

"It can cause already existing deleterious genes to speed up, but there have been no cases in humans that I've ever come across where ozone caused cancer to occur. There are a couple of studies in lab mice, but I question those since mice in general, and especially lab mice, are extremely prone to carrying genes for cancer."

You already have acknowledge it harms genes and that there are couple of studies supporting the link to cancer. You just think you know more than the other researchers concerning the potential link to cancer for this well recognized harmful pollutant.

The free Oxygen that is released is a very powerful oxidizer and will react with many organic compounds including human cells. Why do you think it is so effective in eliminating the smoke smell????

As to the levels necessary to cause genetic damage or cancer, as you should know this is a very hotly debated topic for all hazardous agents. The safe levels, depending on the carcinogen or agent causing genetic damage, reported by many highly respected groups can vary by orders of magnitude (factors of 10x, 100x, 1000x, etc,) in concentration levels.

There is no way any one person on this planet can establish a safe limit by himself as they are always questioned by other acclaimed individuals. In other words nobody ever knows what a safe level is. So how can you say you know it is safe??? This is true for every hazardous material.

I do not understand why they expose passengers to harmful chemicals that may cause cancer or genetic damage so they can make a few extra dollars.

Actually, if they banned smoking in rooms and continued to allow it on balconies where it will dissipate with the smoke from the engines the smokers may buy more balcony rooms and they would make more money.

I don't know of anywhere they are banned:confused: It is certainly not a federal mandate.

Mike:)

Maybe you should read your own words slowly. :confused:

"It can cause already existing deleterious genes to speed up, but there have been no cases in humans that I've ever come across where ozone caused cancer to occur. There are a couple of studies in lab mice, but I question those since mice in general, and especially lab mice, are extremely prone to carrying genes for cancer."

You already have acknowledge it harms genes and that there are couple of studies supporting the link to cancer. You just think you know more than the other researchers concerning the potential link to cancer for this well recognized harmful pollutant.

There is a significant difference between accelerating the process of deleterious genes and causing the formation of deleterious cells (ie cancer). But, this argument aside, all studies of ozone generation have shown that in the concentrations encountered either in normal daily life or even using an air cleaner, there is no correlation to increased health hazards other than increasing respiratory difficulties in elevated ozone environments (generally above 50 parts per billion and various air cleaners tested at 2-10 parts per billion three feet from the units).

It is not effective in eliminating the smell of smoke and has been proven to be a failure at that in testing. The effectiveness rates significantly below HEPA filters, outdoor air exchange, and just about any other method. Have you ever used bleach to clean? Sodium hypochlorite and the chlorine gas emitted is a significantly higher health hazard and much more likely to cause illness than ozone. How about using hairspray, bug spray, or any other aerosolized product? The propellents used are much more toxic than ozone. Scientists have proven that any product can be toxic at ridiculous levels and in some cases humans have helped on their own free will. Long before water toxicosis (overdose on drinking water) was seen killing a few people, scientists had proven this to be possible in lab animals. No matter the substance, ridiculously high levels are toxic. If you want to avoid potentially toxic substances, the only tried and true manner is to stop breathing for about an hour. The side effect of this isn't good, but you will no longer be exposed to a potentially toxic substance that you'll have to worry about.

Archived