Smoking

tulips*n*truffles

I don't know of anywhere they are banned:confused: It is certainly not a federal mandate.

Mike:)

The ban in California was passed in 2007 and had a two year phase-in period. It takes effect this year but still allows for any unit that emits equal to or less than 2 parts per billion. As an example, the Brookstone Pure-Ion emits 2 PPB at a distance of three feet so it still passes CA law. The Sharper Image Quadra emits 5 PPB so it doesn't pass the test.

The ban in California was passed in 2007 and had a two year phase-in period. It takes effect this year but still allows for any unit that emits equal to or less than 2 parts per billion. As an example, the Brookstone Pure-Ion emits 2 PPB at a distance of three feet so it still passes CA law. The Sharper Image Quadra emits 5 PPB so it doesn't pass the test.

I should have said, "Other than California":D

Mike:)

Maybe you should read your own words slowly. :confused:

"It can cause already existing deleterious genes to speed up, but there have been no cases in humans that I've ever come across where ozone caused cancer to occur. There are a couple of studies in lab mice, but I question those since mice in general, and especially lab mice, are extremely prone to carrying genes for cancer."

You already have acknowledge it harms genes and that there are couple of studies supporting the link to cancer. You just think you know more than the other researchers concerning the potential link to cancer for this well recognized harmful pollutant.

There is a significant difference between accelerating the process of deleterious genes and causing the formation of deleterious cells (ie cancer). But, this argument aside, all studies of ozone generation have shown that in the concentrations encountered either in normal daily life or even using an air cleaner, there is no correlation to increased health hazards other than increasing respiratory difficulties in elevated ozone environments (generally above 50 parts per billion and various air cleaners tested at 2-10 parts per billion three feet from the units).

It is not effective in eliminating the smell of smoke and has been proven to be a failure at that in testing. The effectiveness rates significantly below HEPA filters, outdoor air exchange, and just about any other method. Have you ever used bleach to clean? Sodium hypochlorite and the chlorine gas emitted is a significantly higher health hazard and much more likely to cause illness than ozone. How about using hairspray, bug spray, or any other aerosolized product? The propellents used are much more toxic than ozone. Scientists have proven that any product can be toxic at ridiculous levels and in some cases humans have helped on their own free will. Long before water toxicosis (overdose on drinking water) was seen killing a few people, scientists had proven this to be possible in lab animals. No matter the substance, ridiculously high levels are toxic. If you want to avoid potentially toxic substances, the only tried and true manner is to stop breathing for about an hour. The side effect of this isn't good, but you will no longer be exposed to a potentially toxic substance that you'll have to worry about.

Well thank you for broadening the discussion to other harmful cleaners they are likely using to remove the smoke smell.

I understand they use chlorinated compounds to clean the rooms and the rest of the ship to prevent norovirus and other potential diseases. That is a good thing and must be tolerated to prevent illness and potentially death.

However when an increase in chemicals is needed to eliminate the smoke smell they are again increasing passenger exposure to harmful agents that can damage human cells just to make a few extra bucks to fill cabins with smokers.

You are also being overly simplistic in looking at the damage only caused by ozone in these discussions. Humans are exposed to various harmful agents every day that damage are cells the cumulative effects of all of these harmful agents is clearly acknowledged by most researchers even if the amount of damage from each or their interactions can not be clearly identified.

I believe people should not be exposed to additional harmful agents, but should be exposed to less harmful agents. The additional exposure to ozone or other cleaners to eliminate smoke smell is unnecessary in the cabins as it is simple enough to eliminate the smoking in the first place.

No one would have the exhaust from a tail pipe or smoke stack vented to sleeping quarters. It makes no sense to have other smoke collecting in sleeping quarters either. Furthermore, the passengers will end up with long exposure to whatever harmful agents are used in the cabins because they spend significant amount of time sleeping there.

I am well aware people are exposed to various harmful agents on a regular bases even if your humor concerning holding my breath is feeble. If you know we are exposed to lots of harmful chemicals every where why would you want an increase in their use?

Increased exposure to all of these harmful agents just to permit smoking in cabins so the cruise lines can make a few extra bucks makes no sense to me.

Why don't they just turn off the engines and start using oars...now that would end a lot more pollutants.:rolleyes: Come one people the person that started this thread asked a question and it was answered..let's end this now

Why don't they just turn off the engines and start using oars...now that would end a lot more pollutants.:rolleyes: Come one people the person that started this thread asked a question and it was answered..let's end this now

Actually I was kind of looking forward to Coracii's next comments. His barbs have not been particularly harsh and he is knowledgeable (and IMO should know better :rolleyes:)

Islandchick you are right, this is a seriously dangerous situation.You should stay far, far away from any Cruise Ships.

Back to OP's question- We have taken 9 cruises and have never smelled any remnants of smoke.Quite amazing actually with the size of the cabins and lack of ventilation. Maybe it's the toilet flushing that keeps them aired out.:D

Not sure if I'm going to come down with cancer or respritory problems, but so far so good.

Archived