Would you be offended?

HighSeaslover

I think the lido deck during lunch would be more appropriate for such an activity you are proposing. I would hate to see this start a trend where next we have other characters, eventually having Mickey Mouse or the Incredible Hulk showing up for dinner. Formal or otherwise, I would not like to be seated next to your table.

I wouldn't mind the costumes at all but would mind if the party got too rowdy. I'd like to be able to have the dinner I'd like to have to and not be hostage to someone else's party. Maybe the partying could wait until after dinner in a bar?

And for those of you who "don't care what others think"- why in heaven's name not? I am getting tired of seeing this- I care if my kids are running around and screaming because it will bother other people, I care if the cabin next to me is blaring music in the middle of the night so I can't sleep, or if my teens are doing the same and bothering other people, I care if a bunch of people get drunk and puke into my balcony. Is this a generational thing or what? Not caring what other people think is frankly barbaric.

I don't think the posters were referring to loud bothersome acts like you describe.

She was talking about the attire of the Gilligans party guests and such.

Believe it or not some people are happy with themselves and their looks and their lives and it is not incumbant on the person next doors or at the next tables approval for them to be so.

Many people wouldn't hurt a fly or offend another human being, but they get plenty of abuse because of their choice of dress or hairstyle, or lifestyle. And that is sad.

I think the lido deck during lunch would be more appropriate for such an activity you are proposing. I would hate to see this start a trend where next we have other characters, eventually having Mickey Mouse or the Incredible Hulk showing up for dinner. Formal or otherwise, I would not like to be seated next to your table.

I could have sworn I saw the hulk on our last cruise at dinner.. :eek:

Who cares if it's the dining room. If waiters can dance on tables' date=' start huge conga lines and people can wear shorts, what's the big deal with a few people having some fun dressing up??:rolleyes:

Seriously, some people need to loosen up and stop making the dining room out to be some high class black tie affair...especially if it's not formal night.

Tell your friends to have a great time and don't worry about the few people who might be offended by your fun. ;)[/quote']

Ditto! Well said. Have fun!

I don't think the posters were referring to loud bothersome acts like you describe.

She was talking about the attire of the Gilligans party guests and such.

Believe it or not some people are happy with themselves and their looks and their lives and it is not incumbant on the person next doors or at the next tables approval for them to be so.

Many people wouldn't hurt a fly or offend another human being, but they get plenty of abuse because of their choice of dress or hairstyle, or lifestyle. And that is sad.

Nor was I addressing the OP in my musings about not caring about others. The OP is asking- proof that she does care about others. And I am not looking for approval by the table next to me. But I am asking that their activities do not require that I give up my activities. This has nothing to do with being secure with myself. Laughing and having a great time is fine and wonderful. But often parties like that get somewhat out of control for a dining room- a situation which has different expectations than a bar, for example. I really don't see this as a difficult to understand opinion.

Heck no! I would not be offended. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd enjoy watching!! I have to ask though.........what is the significance of your BIL birthday and Gilligan's Island?

Go, do it, have FUN and to heck with the stuffed shirts that may not like it!!!!! They don't have to watch.

Nor was I addressing the OP in my musings about not caring about others. The OP is asking- proof that she does care about others. And I am not looking for approval by the table next to me. But I am asking that their activities do not require that I give up my activities. This has nothing to do with being secure with myself. Laughing and having a great time is fine and wonderful. But often parties like that get somewhat out of control for a dining room- a situation which has different expectations than a bar, for example. I really don't see this as a difficult to understand opinion.

I agree... They should be able to do this without disturbing others.. I dont see it as a potential problem.. jmho ;)

But imagine if they wanted to dress as the Banana Splits and sing that song.. oh boy...:eek: or perhaps the cast of Married with Children...

:p

I wouldn't mind the costumes at all but would mind if the party got too rowdy. I'd like to be able to have the dinner I'd like to have to and not be hostage to someone else's party. Maybe the partying could wait until after dinner in a bar?

And for those of you who "don't care what others think"- why in heaven's name not? I am getting tired of seeing this- I care if my kids are running around and screaming because it will bother other people, I care if the cabin next to me is blaring music in the middle of the night so I can't sleep, or if my teens are doing the same and bothering other people, I care if a bunch of people get drunk and puke into my balcony. Is this a generational thing or what? Not caring what other people think is frankly barbaric.

There is a difference in getting drunk, rowdy, intruding on other people and being just plain rude, and simply having fun. I don't think a 2 minute theme song would interfere with my dinner or the atmosphere in the dining room in the least. And certainly seeing them dressed up in character would not bother me. So I really don't see the comparison to what they plan to do and the above examples, which I feel most people here WOULD care about and I do feel the majority of people are considerate of others around them.

We are planning a surprise b-day party for my BIL on the Glory next week. During dinner (not formal night) each person in our party is dressing as one of Gilligan's Island stars and we have ordered a cake and have a MP3 player with the theme song. If your table was next to ours would this bother you. I promise we will not be loud and out of hand just laughing and having fun. No big drinkers here.

....sounds like a great idea......post a picture after you return.....:D

I agree... They should be able to do this without disturbing others.. I dont see it as a potential problem.. jmho ;)

But imagine if they wanted to dress as the Banana Splits and sing that song.. oh boy...:eek: or perhaps the cast of Married with Children...

:p

How cool would that be "The Banana Splits" *LOL*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Al Bundy is the man :) and Kelly Bundy ...uh .....Lets just say I wouldn't be against a "Married With Children" theme party *LOL*

There is a difference in getting drunk, rowdy, intruding on other people and being just plain rude, and simply having fun. I don't think a 2 minute theme song would interfere with my dinner or the atmosphere in the dining room in the least. And certainly seeing them dressed up in character would not bother me. So I really don't see the comparison to what they plan to do and the above examples, which I feel most people here WOULD care about and I do feel the majority of people are considerate of others around them.

The point was that repeatedly in this and in other threads on this web site I see people who say- what difference does it make what other people think. And I find that a very uncivilized thought. I think I made it plain that a brief theme song and general pleasant hilarity at a table is fine. And I don't really care what they wear- within reason. As somebody pointed out, a table of folks dressed in banana costumes....well... But parties like this can easily go over a line and become disruptive, something I would not be happy with if I were sitting nearby. If they were sure it was going to be reasonable- go for it. But if the probability is that the group would become rowdy- then have it in a bar where rowdy was the norm.

The point was that repeatedly in this and in other threads on this web site I see people who say- what difference does it make what other people think. And I find that a very uncivilized thought. I think I made it plain that a brief theme song and general pleasant hilarity at a table is fine. And I don't really care what they wear- within reason. As somebody pointed out, a table of folks dressed in banana costumes....well... But parties like this can easily go over a line and become disruptive, something I would not be happy with if I were sitting nearby. If they were sure it was going to be reasonable- go for it. But if the probability is that the group would become rowdy- then have it in a bar where rowdy was the norm.

You have a valid concern.. .. Lets hope the skipper and gilligan do not set up a hammock in the DR!

I agree with your post but just wanted to say . The people wouldn't be dressed as bananas if they were The Bananas Splits. They would be dressed as a dog (Fleegle), a gorilla (Bingo), a lion (Drooper), and a baby elephant(Snorky) .

The Banana Splits were a 1970s Saturday Morning kids show. :) :)

I agree with your post but just wanted to say . The people wouldn't be dressed as bananas if they were The Bananas Splits. They would be dressed as a dog (Fleegle), a gorilla (Bingo), a lion (Drooper), and a baby elephant(Snorky) .

Imagine Sigmond and the Seamonsters! that would be disturbing...:p

Oh- well, a dog a gorilla a lion and an elephant would be fine. Just no bananas!

Guess I'm showing my age- either too young or too old for 70s sat morn tv!

Imagine Sigmond and the Seamonsters! that would be disturbing...:p

The Seamonsters wouldn't be so bad , but that kid from Family Affair would get a little annoying after a while :)

Do you remember" Uncle Crocs Block"

I always had a vague rememberance of it all these years and then I stumbled accross an episode of it on You Tube.

Charles Nelson Reilly as a kid show host dressed as a giant crocdile.

It was fun growing up in The Age of Aquarius *LOL*

The Seamonsters wouldn't be so bad , but that kid from Family Affair would get a little annoying after a while :)

JOHNNY WHITTAKER!

Do you remember" Uncle Crocs Block" NO??

I always had a vague rememberance of it all these years and then I stumbled accross an episode of it on You Tube.

Charles Nelson Reilly as a kid show host dressed as a giant crocdile.

It was fun growing up in The Age of Aquarius *LOL*

lol

ever see the movie Frequency? rent it..

Archived