GPS Logs of your cruises

Tafkas

Ha!

Now I can point DW to this thread! She calls me a nerd or geek or <insert your own techno-weenie word here> every time I take our GPSr out on deck with me. I've made it a point to take it with me every time I'm on deck, and just let it keep logging points for a good track log.

Being a geocacher (http://http://www.geocaching.com/), I've learned to waypoint where we park when we head out on the trails.

So, besides logging your cruise tracks, does anyone else here enjoy "cruise caching?"

On our honeymoon cruise this last September to Alaska, we met a friend who lives in Juneau, and she took us out for the day. I kept my GPSr on the whole time, and when I got home, I downloaded the track to GoogleEarth. It was pretty cool seeing all the places that a regular cruiser wouldn't get a chance to see.

I have been logging our trips for about 15 years. I bought a Garmin emap GPS before a trip to Russia and have used it on every trip since then. I use it on airplanes, ships and even in rental cars all over the world. We were lost in the African bush in the middle of Zambia and I got out the emap. It had the dirt road that we were on in the middle of the bush. It helped get us back to the main road about 20km away. I will not travel without it. I got a new Garmin Nuvi for Christmas, but it seems to have less detail outside the USA than the old emap. I will be bringing both on our cruise next week.

Donald

Archived