Renting a car....

thegpars

I think we are going to try renting a car in Cozumel.. we have never been and thought this would be fun. My question is should we rent in advance are just rent when we get to the pier...

Renting a car is a great way to see Cozumel but be extremly cautious when doing so. Be sure to buy insurance. Most U S insurances do not carry over internationally. Be prepared to pay upfront if you should have an accident. Also I would carry your passport with you if you have one. Also please do not think about renting scooters. They are dangerous. People there drive really fast. Just trying to give you a heads up. Have a great time. Cozumel is a beautiful place to visit.:)

I think we are going to try renting a car in Cozumel.. we have never been and thought this would be fun. My question is should we rent in advance are just rent when we get to the pier...

Read the other thread here about the warnings.....hire a tour guide......MUCH safer!

My sister and I (both in our 50's) rented a VW, had no problems at all.

We had the owner go over the car with us before we left and the total including ins, etc was about $35. That was in 2007.

We drove around the whole island stopping whenever we wanted. As soon as you get out of the shopping area there isn't much traffic.

Have a great time.

My wife and I rented a Jeep, it was around $100 for the day and that included all the insurance. We did not have a reservation, went to the Budget counter when arrived. We did get one of the last ones so I would recommend advance reservation if you can. Just Google Cozumel car rentals.

We loved the other side of the island.

Just remember that if you rent a car, the driver never gets to see the sights.....he/she has to be on alert at all times!

We always take a cab or book a tour (independent local guide or ship-sponsored excursion).

We've had better experiences with independent operators, as they have to make the customer happy or risk a bad review. The ship-sponsored excursions seem to also be through local companies, but those companies must have some sort of contract, because they don't seem to care much about the quality of the tour or the satisfaction of the customer!

The advantage to a ship-sponsored excursion is that the ship will wait if the tour returns late. We have used such an excursion if we want to see something that will require almost all of the time in port.....like Chichen Itza. We certainly don't want to risk "missing the boat!" :D

Archived