RCCL v's Carnival = Crusie with 8yr old son

PLEASE do not blast me. I just want some help and opionions. I know that some people have cruised both lines so I thought I would ask this wonderful board for some help.

We are looking at taken our 9 yr son on a cruise. I noticed that Carnival has some good prices, but I am leary of change. I have only sailed on RCCL and love them. I am not aware of anything Carnival has or does, so I am looking for your help.

Could anyone tell me if Carnival is good for child that age? Do they offer the Kids Club for this age group? What else do they offer that he would like.

I know what RCCL has and I know he would love them. Just a thought as we could save money for better excursions and maybe before/after land days.

JMHO> I know there are others who will not agree with me here, but in sailing both lines, and in discussions with family members who have sailed both lines. Carnival wins for the kids and the kids programs. Maybe because there seems to be more children on Carnival then RCCI. Not sure the reason.

That is not to say that RCCI program for the young is not good or your son won't have a wonderful time, he will. But if I were choosing I'd pick Carnival especially if the price is better. :D

our kids loved camp carnival- we took them when they were 8 and 11 first time, then 10 and 13 , then 11 and 14 - on ccl- they loved the kids programs on all 3 cruises and barely wanted to get off the ship in port days- by the time they went on rci they were 14 and 17 so not into kids programs by then-

i dont think you could go wrong on either line as far as the kids programs go-

what ccl ship and what rci ship are you considering?

We were thinking of on that would go out of Flordia. Airfare from Michigan is cheaper to go there than other places.

So with that said. The RCCl would be one that went to Coco Kay and Carnival ship would be one that went to there private island (sorry not sure of name).

But if you can tell a good place to go or a good ship. I am all game.

We have saild on the Rhapsody, Vouager, and Monarch. So I think that covers - little, big, bigger, but without child in hand.

Thinking about it, maybe I am more into just any ship that takes me away.

I have 3 kids who are now 16, 14, and 12 and we have cruised the past 5 years on RCCL and they love the kids programs.....will have to admit the older one is just about getting "too old" for it but still loves the dance club and all the activities for her age group! I will admit that we have never cruised Carnival but do have relatives and a close friend who has and for that reason have just not elected to venture away from RCCL! The friend I have at work has 2 kids who are now teenagers and she tried carnival 2 different times because the price was right but she has returned to RCCL just because she seemed to like it better for some reason or another....not to say you would not like carnival....I always say...can't imagine not having fun on any cruise!!! :)

Pretty much what I say also. Better on any cruise than home at work!!!!!!

One thing - I know that on the Carnival web site it shows a boat with a big twist slide near the pool. Does anyone know which ship this is on? I will try to figure out, but I do not find the Carnival web page as user freindly as RCCL. Maybe just me.

I know my son would love either ship. I know he would fit in anywhere or anyplace. I just want him to enjoy the best he can.

He is just amazed that we told him he does not need to wear his life jacket the entire time on board. Of which he replied - But I will be on and near the water. We live by and around water and the rule has always been = you wear your life jacket no matter what. I know you can swim but not that well.

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts. I guess it will be a matter of just sitting down with Son, Husband and myself to decide.

Archived