Call from Carnival for an upgrade?

iluvazsun

I received a call last night from carnival (unfortunatley I missed it) and they left a msg asking if I want an upgrade from my 8G cabin to a suite on my 2/22/09 cruise on Freedom. They said the price has been "drastically reduced" but I wasn't given the price or any other info. I returned the call but had to leave a message and have not heard back. Has anyone received a call like this? Do you think the price will be close to what I paid or are they just trying to make more money?

I got a call like this yesterday for our 5 day Fantasy cruise. We paid $1130 for 4 of us in an inside stateroom, and they said it would be $800 additional to upgrade to a penthouse suite (I think they said the normal price for the suite was $3300 or $3600 - not sure which). A deal? Sure. But IMO, still not worth it. We got a call an hour later from a different department upgrading us for free to an oceanview stateroom - unfortunately, this also bumped us DOWN a deck. I was not thrilled, but my husband got the call and didn't know what to do, so he accepted the upgrade. Guess we'll enjoy our window, lol!

Well they just called me back with the info! $270 pp extra for the suite...so $540 for the 6-day cruise. I passed. I can use that money for excursions, drinks, gifts, etc!! Maybe they won't be able to sell it & will get desperate & drop it even more!

Thanks for the info from those who replied so quickly!

Well they just called me back with the info! $270 pp extra for the suite...so $540 for the 6-day cruise. I passed. I can use that money for excursions, drinks, gifts, etc!! Maybe they won't be able to sell it & will get desperate & drop it even more!

Thanks for the info from those who replied so quickly!

If you are really interested, you could have made a counteroffer while they were on the phone.

I got a call last night to upsell for a cruise that leaves sat...LOL

I took it.

This cruise was such a deal !

veranda balcony on the liberty for less than $575 a person including all taxes etc.

Wow that's an awesome price! Congrats!

If you are really interested, you could have made a counteroffer while they were on the phone.

Dang ! I didn't know that! Where was your post 20 mins ago? LOL I guess I could call em back. I'm not sure how much extra I would pay for the suite though. I'm cheap! Only thing that really entices me is the VIP check-in & the whirlpool tub! Hmmmm...

I got a call last night to upsell for a cruise that leaves sat...LOL

I took it.

This cruise was such a deal !

veranda balcony on the liberty for less than $575 a person including all taxes etc.

That's an excellent price! Have a great trip!

Henepup

I got a call like this yesterday for our 5 day Fantasy cruise. We paid $1130 for 4 of us in an inside stateroom, and they said it would be $800 additional to upgrade to a penthouse suite (I think they said the normal price for the suite was $3300 or $3600 - not sure which). A deal? Sure. But IMO, still not worth it. We got a call an hour later from a different department upgrading us for free to an oceanview stateroom - unfortunately, this also bumped us DOWN a deck. I was not thrilled, but my husband got the call and didn't know what to do, so he accepted the upgrade. Guess we'll enjoy our window, lol!

Wow $800 to go from an inside room to a suite for 4 people! I would have jumped on it. Of course I would never have 4 people in a inside room either.

Wow,

I am hoping that I get a call from my TA about upgrades on Victory 3/1/2009. There are still 5 Cat 12's and 10 Cat 11's left on the cruise.

It would be nice to upgrade. I have a balcony, but I really don't like the location (however, a balcony!!!).

Vicki

I booked with a TA, can we expect an upsell offer as we get closer to the cruise? If yes, will we hear from Carnival directly, or through the TA?

(assuming, of course, that upsell offers are being made on that cruise) - I suppose my question should really be.....does carnival offer upsells, in general, to those who book through a TA, or only those who book direct?

I'm on the same sailing and i would call them back as balcony cabins are NONE existent

for this cruise!!But suites are plentyful..Just would say how much is balcony really worth to you..I haven't gotten call :( but i also booked as group!

Carnival Freedom 2/22/2009

Carnival Freedom 12/2007

Carnival Liberty 2/2006

I am booked in a group also, but we are spread all about the ship. Most of the balconies are on Verandah (right under the bars and tables & chairs). Our TA already has put a bug in the ear at Carnival, so I am hoping that maybe we may get a call. But, I will do with my balcony if not:)

Vicki

I'm on the same sailing and i would call them back as balcony cabins are NONE existent

for this cruise!!But suites are plentyful..Just would say how much is balcony really worth to you..I haven't gotten call :( but i also booked as group!

Carnival Freedom 2/22/2009

Carnival Freedom 12/2007

Carnival Liberty 2/2006

That's an idea. I did see the balconies were sold out. I do like the cabin I have though...aft balcony. wonder if I low ball em and say I'll book it for $100 extra (which is pretty much my fuel surcharge credit) if they'd accept. :rolleyes: and I wonder why they called ME??? lol

That's an idea. I did see the balconies were sold out. I do like the cabin I have though...aft balcony. wonder if I low ball em and say I'll book it for $100 extra (which is pretty much my fuel surcharge credit) if they'd accept. :rolleyes: and I wonder why they called ME??? lol

I would, my oppion fact that balconies are sold out makes them that much more valuable to carnival!! :)

Yes my group is spread out as well from main deck to empress!!

Carnival Freedom 2/2009

Carnival Freedom 12/2007

Carnival liberty 2/2006

I booked with a TA, can we expect an upsell offer as we get closer to the cruise? If yes, will we hear from Carnival directly, or through the TA?

(assuming, of course, that upsell offers are being made on that cruise) - I suppose my question should really be.....does carnival offer upsells, in general, to those who book through a TA, or only those who book direct?

CCL does not deal with those who have bookings with a TA, as all dealings will be with your TA.

This is an "upsell" call' date=' not an upgrade.

[/quote']

Losing battle, G'ma. I see you insert this in almost every post on this topic. I know the distinction you're trying to make, but you're trying to hang onto language that has becoming archaic. In fact, they are being offered an upgrade, just not a free upgrade. "Upsell" is too obscure a term to expect it to be used widely.

CCL does not deal with those who have bookings with a TA, as all dealings will be with your TA.

So if Carnival is making upsell offers on my cruise, is there a chance they will offer an upsell to me through my TA, or are upsells only offered to those who book direct?

We booked directly through Carnival for the Freedom cruise leaving next week: 1/31/09. We got a call 2 weeks ago from Carnival saying they had this terrific offer. $840 more for larger balcony room on Deck 9 with VIP check-in, etc. That's a lot of money for just a little more space in a cabin. Plus I didn't like the location of this other cabin. I like our mid-ship, Deck 7 balcony location. Maybe it's the economy, but these larger cabins/ suites must not be all booked. Since it's so close to sail time and passports, etc. must be all in order, Carnival must try to sell these higher- priced available cabins to those already sailing on this ship.

Then last week we got another call from the same Carnival "sales" agent with another "great offer." Just as expensive as the last one, different cabin available. I then told him we sailed on Celebrity Millinnium in Jan. '08 where we were booked for a concierge cabin and got a call from our travel agent 2 weeks prior to leaving. Our agent said we had be given a sky suite with a butler at no additional cost. (This was our 2nd Celebrity cruise, just like this will be our 2nd Carnival cruise so it's not like we're in a special platinum club) The agent then said, "Oh, Carnival doesn't upgrade like that."

Hmmmm....interesting.

We booked directly through Carnival for the Freedom cruise leaving next week: 1/31/09. We got a call 2 weeks ago from Carnival saying they had this terrific offer. $840 more for larger balcony room on Deck 9 with VIP check-in, etc. That's a lot of money for just a little more space in a cabin. Plus I didn't like the location of this other cabin. I like our mid-ship, Deck 7 balcony location. Maybe it's the economy, but these larger cabins/ suites must not be all booked. Since it's so close to sail time and passports, etc. must be all in order, Carnival must try to sell these higher- priced available cabins to those already sailing on this ship.

Then last week we got another call from the same Carnival "sales" agent with another "great offer." Just as expensive as the last one, different cabin available. I then told him we sailed on Celebrity Millinnium in Jan. '08 where we were booked for a concierge cabin and got a call from our travel agent 2 weeks prior to leaving. Our agent said we had be given a sky suite with a butler at no additional cost. (This was our 2nd Celebrity cruise, just like this will be our 2nd Carnival cruise so it's not like we're in a special platinum club) The agent then said, "Oh, Carnival doesn't upgrade like that."

Hmmmm....interesting.

Carnival has now gone to what NCL does, upsells.

It used to be, if you booked a cat 11 and the cat 12's were empty they would upgrade you. The same for other cabins.

Now they call and ask you to pay for it.

In a way it's good. I got my son and his fiance a wonderful upgrade for less than I would have paid, even at the balcony's lowest price.

It would never happen, if they still did the free upgrade way.

So it works out for me, because I was able to pay for it. I'm sure for many people that extra few hundred dollars would mean less money to spend on their cruise.

Fortunately, my son doesn't have to worry about that :) Momma paid..LOL

Archived