anyone ever fallen on ship and needed stitches

worry wart

I see someone is definitely living up to their posting name.

If the Dr. can't do stitches find any blue hair on deck that has a pair of knitting needles. Ask if she does embroidery as well.

Watch ER or Grey's Anatomy and you'll know that any second year med student can do stitches.

Staples work better than stitches, take less time and look cooler.

My granddaughter fell on the slide at Half Moon Cay and suffered a nice gash above her eye. I felt it was handled very well. They have either a Nurse practitioner or Physician's Assistant on the island and he was in radio contact with the Doctor on board. They discussed the merits of "dermabond" which my DD and I requested and he was able to fix it on the spot. He was very kind and patient with her and did a quite nice job in spite of the difficult spot he was working on. My DD was told to return the next day to have it checked, which she did and the total for all that care was only $55. I wrote a letter to Carnival praising the efficient and cost effective care.

I've worked in a Pediatric Emergency Room, and I felt quite good about the care given.

We saw a guy on our cruise who DOVE INTO THE POOL WHEN IT WAS EMPTY. No kidding. Not sure why the net didn't save him...actually it probably did save him...but he had several stitches in his face/head.

Same trip - my daughter grabbed Mom's hot curling iron and burned her hand. They gave her some lotion, wrapped it up a bit, and all in all did a nice job taking care of her. It wasn't a bad burn and she was fine the next day.

Thanks everybody. The reason I have the concern is because my son has a seizure disorder. Although we tend to monitor him very closely he has had occasions to fall and cut his head. Just wanted to be sure someone would be able to handle the situation on board.

At sailaway, some idiots were blowing bubbles, and an elderly lady walked by, slipped in the soapy water, and cut her chin. I saw her later on deck with a bandage; she said she had four stitches. We chatted about the irresponsibilty of using bubbles on deck, as they're always messy.

I did fall at Dunn's River Falls on a CCL shore excursion (booked through the ship). When I got back to the ship, I stopped by the infirmiry to get some antibacterial ointment and the nurse suggested stitches. When the doc returned from port (just after me) he did the stitches. Good thing he hadn't had the red stripe beer I'd had! This was just under my chin, tiny little scar - my souvenir!

Sol y Mar

"At sailaway, some idiots were blowing bubbles, and an elderly lady walked by, slipped in the soapy water, and cut her chin." Unless the people were actually spilling the bubble solution on the deck, each and every bubble would have had to burst in the exact same location in order for there to have been any soapy water from the "idiots" who were celebrating their voyage in a happy manner.

Most likely she slipped where someone had spilled part of their drink.

Thanks everybody. The reason I have the concern is because my son has a seizure disorder. Although we tend to monitor him very closely he has had occasions to fall and cut his head. Just wanted to be sure someone would be able to handle the situation on board.

Make sure your PVP knows of his condition so they can advise the ship in advance of your arrival.

I received a "tour" of the clinic when another passenger dumped a cup of scalding coffee down my arm in the buffet line. I started first aid immediately, as I worked my way to the clinic. The doctor provided me with some great ointment that really took away the pain. I wasn't even billed for the visit or the follow up since incident was caused by another passenger. :p

My granddaughter fell on the slide at Half Moon Cay and suffered a nice gash above her eye. I felt it was handled very well. They have either a Nurse practitioner or Physician's Assistant on the island and he was in radio contact with the Doctor on board. They discussed the merits of "dermabond" which my DD and I requested and he was able to fix it on the spot. He was very kind and patient with her and did a quite nice job in spite of the difficult spot he was working on. My DD was told to return the next day to have it checked, which she did and the total for all that care was only $55. I wrote a letter to Carnival praising the efficient and cost effective care.

I've worked in a Pediatric Emergency Room, and I felt quite good about the care given.

Wow, that's a good deal for that care. I thought I remember Dermabond being about 100 dollars per treatment

Your a good Mom (Dad) for worrying and asking!

I know they can handle just about anything on board if needed and for more severe emergencies, they have access to ports nearby, helicopters etc for those.

You can always pack with your carry on first aid kit some GOOD butterfly patches and neosporin. I have used them for smaller wounds that could have used one or two stitches. In your situation with your child having seizure disorder, I would see the ship doctor no matter what.

Try not to worry too much, and have a great time! :D

"

Most likely she slipped where someone had spilled part of their drink.

Nope, I was right there, even tried to help the lady get up. It was those pesky bubbles, an inconsiderate thing for folks to bring on board.:rolleyes:

Wow, that's a good deal for that care. I thought I remember Dermabond being about 100 dollars per treatment

Prices in the medical field are relative [and wacky]. I had to have a spur from an old break removed. They had to cut loose a tendon over the spur, remove the spur, then insert a piton [less than a quarter inch in size] to anchor the reattachment of the tendon. 2 days before the scheduled procedure, Medicare decided it had to be done in a hospital rather than in the outpatient surgery center. My Doc was going to supply the piton to the surg. center. The hospital supplied their own. Same size, same model, same number.

My Docs price for this little tiny piece of stainless steel? $800.00

The hospital's price for the same thing ? $4000.00

Eight hundred was an insane number, There is no word for what Four Thousand is.

Those prices are only for the piton [looks just like a climbers piton, just tiny], not the entire operation.

Dan

Dermabond is good for certain lacerations. I had cut my palm on a round head gasket on a jetski engine. Went to the ER, they used Dermabond and bandaged me up. I went home, went to get in the recliner and put my hand down. I immediately felt a pop and my hand get warm. Darn it.

Back to the ER where they put 4 stitches in. Because the center of the cut was deeper than the edges, the Dermabond didnt hold up. I have a nice two inch scar now as a reminder to use a rubber mallet instead of my hand when trying to loosen a cylinder.

Dave

Archived