Don't want to do Berlin

sheilauk

We are on Celebrity Century in May, and won't be going to Berlin.

Can you recommend an alternative trip for us, we arrive at Warnemuende at 9am and depart at midnight. We are looking at about a two hour max train journey

We have holidayed many times in Germany, but always in the Koblenz area, or Schwarwald area around Freiburg. Would like to go somewhere with an altstadt, a castle like Neuschwanstein, and I love the Lubeck chocolate covered marzipan, so a shopping area is needed , preferabley not a commercial shopping centre.

Thanks

Check this link:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/heinbloed-cruise-guides.html

I am only allowed to post five pictures and I do not like to repeat, repeat and repeat:

that's why I put all postings to external links and you get an impression of the spots around Warnemünde.

Have fun.

Ask if you have further questions.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Yo no hablo Aleman! Or something like that.

Hey, sheilauk, maybe we can team up on the Berlin day! We were thinking of staying local to the cruise port. Hein Bloed has given us a wealth of info, hasn't he? Do you think we can hit these places in a loop? That would best use our time and efforts. I'll check on a map and see if it's doable.

Maybe Hein Bloed can chime in on an itinerary that would fit our needs. Is a loop a possibility with train or car rental?

Thanks!

Neal

Si - I can...

but CELEBRITY CENTURY is calling twice in May Warnemünde.

So once on a weekday and once on a weekend.

Therefore both of you must tell which day you are in Warnemünde and I can get you a tour suggestion by train.

Regards,

HeinBloed

OK - done.

I saved the schedule here and will update the platform information when they are available:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

Subject sheilauk is on the same itinerary and subject he is willing to go with you on the same tour:

For five of you it's 26.00 EUR in the 2nd class together.

So min. is 5.20 EUR and max. is 26.00 EUR for the whole day excursion.

When you arrive in Lübeck it's the best time to go first to Niederegger: Coffee and Cake Time.

Enjoy

HeinBloed

Yes we are on Celebrity Century departing Amsterdam 9th May. Neal, are you signed up on the CC roll call for this trip ? There are lots of plans afoot on that thread :p

Heinbloed, vielen dank nochmal, eine Frage mehr - ist es moglich mit dem ?Bus nach Lubeck fahren? Fuenf stunden mit dem Zug von Warnemuende nach Lubeck zu fahren - ist vielleicht ein bisschen langweilig ?

HeinBloed - that's perfect! Thanks so much!

Sheilauk - we're on the Roll Call for that trip. I don't have our complete info for the Meet & Greet or whatever yet. How does this itinerary and info to come sound to you two?

Neal

Heinbloed, vielen dank nochmal, eine Frage mehr - ist es moglich mit dem ?Bus nach Lubeck fahren? Fuenf stunden mit dem Zug von Warnemuende nach Lubeck zu fahren - ist vielleicht ein bisschen langweilig ?

To make sure that the other understand:

There is no bus connection from Warnemünde to Lübeck by bus.

The computer of German Railways which includes all public bus services cannot calculate an itinerary within one day.

You better take a car rental - so you can go on any road you want.

Railways has the disadvantage that you must stay on the rails and might see something on the same route again when you are going back.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi, HeinBloed-

We will arrive in Warnemunde on the Celebrity Constellation on August 11 at 0700 and will depart at 2130. We would like to take the train to/from Berlin.

Can you tell us how to get to the train station from the port?

Could you also give us recommended train schedules and fares?

Do you have a link to a website where we can find this information?

Thank you......it would be much appreciated.:)

We will arrive in Warnemunde on the Celebrity Constellation on August 11 at 0700 and will depart at 2130. We would like to take the train to/from Berlin.

Can you tell us how to get to the train station from the port?

"Yes, we can..." - the train station is just next to the cruise terminal.

I am updating the Warnemünde information with new pictures and will post them in few weeks. But you are going anyway in August.

For your plannings: 6-8 minutes walk.

Could you also give us recommended train schedules and fares?

Do you have a link to a website where we can find this information?

Thank you......it would be much appreciated.:)

"Yes, we can..." - but this is the forum for those cruisers who do not want to go to Berlin... therefore you cannot find here anything...

"Yes, we can..." - check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-berlin-train-schedule-2009.html

Service for all cruise-mates from all over the world who requested such information.

Scroll down for light blue sector until your ship appears.

Schedule information will be updated end of June 2009 when new schedule is confirmed.

And if you wait few days: I just returned from Berlin and I am working on a personal walking guide for Berlin for 2009. As soon as it will be available I will post it in the section for those cruisers who wants to go to Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

For those of you who might consider a car rental for a loop trip to Lubeck as HeinBloed suggests in an earlier post, it is really quite easy to do and driving around the Mecklenburg countryside there is a pleasant change from the big cities and constant parade of churches and museums on the other Baltic stops.

You can pick up your car from a Hertz "desk" inside the terminal building at Warnemunde (I think you must reserve it specifically from the St Petersburger Strasse Hertz office in Rostock and they will deliver it to the Warnemunde port for you--I don't think the other listed Hertz offices in Rostock will necessarily do that for you, but HeinBloed can confirm that).

We took our time along the backroads on the northern portion of the loop in the morning, going through Heiligendamm and Wismar, then into Lubeck for late lunch and Niederegger's for dessert. Also a nice town square in Lubeck to hang out in and people-watch. Then we took mostly autobahn on the southern portion of the route back into Warnemunde, with a long late afternoon stopover in Schwerin. Huge golden castle there, which really gleams in the late afternoon sun. Then, back to Warnemunde, with very easy dropoff of the Hertz car in the terminal parking lot.

Viel Spass und guten Reisen !

"Great, but not exhausting" would be an excellent description. We left probably about 9:30 in the morning and returned about 8:00 pm (ship didn't leave until 11 that night).

You can definitely make the initial reservation for that St Petersburgerstrasse office on the internet and I think you can include in that reservation a special request to have them deliver to the port. But, to be extra safe and following recommendations I learned here on CC, I called that office directly a couple weeks later to confirm that my booking included the instructions for the car to be delivered to the agency desk in Warnemunde.

The car was there as promised when we arrived in Warnemunde and the process was easy.

When we were in Warnemunde last year we took a very interesting excursion to the west of town. The Mollie Train was the highlight and it was a perfect trip through the country and beach areas along the Baltic Sea.

For lots of pictures and details how to do this go to http://www.*****.com/Germany.html

While your German can come in handy, we found that mine was generally worse than the English of the local people.

Happy travels.

Lair Bear - I've checked your pictures quite often. Great job - it's like an Internet scrapbook!:p

I'm still torn between rental and public transportation but both on my own. With all the info on CC, it can make the gathering easy but the decision difficult.

ANYWAY, I'll make up my mind with some help from The Boss and see what happens. Thanks to all the contributors!

As this question comes again and again about car rental in Germany:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

There you can find the answers about all car rental options in Warnemünde.

And here is a selection of most destinations you can do out of Warnemünde:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/heinbloed-cruise-guides.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Each of you has different reasons not to visit Berlin.

There are enough beautiful spots outside Berlin which are closer to Warnemünde.

But let me just show you what you will miss when you are not doing Berlin.

Before you click the link:

About 160 pictures will be opened - so users of old modem-connection: hope you paid your phone bill...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/berlin-germany-walking-and-public.html

For all others: I help you with any destination you choose.

Best regards,

HeinBloed

Lair Bear - I've checked your pictures quite often. Great job - it's like an Internet scrapbook!:p

I'm still torn between rental and public transportation but both on my own.

ANYWAY, I'll make up my mind with some help from The Boss and see what happens. Thanks to all the contributors!

What ever you and the Boss do, have fun.

Thanks for your comments about our web site.

As you well know (no matter what ship, unless yours is too big), the trip throught the Kiel canal will be interesting and having Warnemunde as the main German port made sence for the cruise company.

To rent a car gives you more freedom. Will you have a GPS unit and good maps? There were several people who toured the country both ways and enjoyed it all (bus and Mollie Train, or rental car).

We've decided to just concentrate on the Schwerin area - at least for now. The Bundesgartenschau garden exposition is there this year from April to October. Since we'll be at Keukenhof for the very last day when we're in Amsterdam, we thought this would be a good trade. We'll do the train to Schwerin and just relax for the day, smell the flowers and see the sights. No rental car.

Neal

We've decided to just concentrate on the Schwerin area - at least for now. The Bundesgartenschau garden exposition is there this year from April to October. Since we'll be at Keukenhof for the very last day when we're in Amsterdam, we thought this would be a good trade. We'll do the train to Schwerin and just relax for the day, smell the flowers and see the sights. No rental car.

Neal

It's a brilliant idea.

Bundesgartenschau is the Federal Garden Show. It's every two years in another city in Germany. And 2009 in Schwerin:

http://www.buga-2009.de/en/garden-festival/idea-and-concept/

And this year the concept sounds very great as typical and classical gardens and flowers are in the focus.

I am sure that German Railways will provide specials later this year.

Here is your schedule suggestion - scroll down in Red:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Many thanks, HeinBloed!

I'll keep an eye out for the train fare specials and probably get tickets later, maybe even when we arrive. Which do you recommend? I know how much you like Lubeck; we would love to go there but I'm not sure if we have enough time, especially if we arrive in Schwerin around noon.

Neal

Many thanks, HeinBloed!

I'll keep an eye out for the train fare specials and probably get tickets later, maybe even when we arrive. Which do you recommend? I know how much you like Lubeck; we would love to go there but I'm not sure if we have enough time, especially if we arrive in Schwerin around noon.

Neal

It's you who is doing the shore excursion and it's you who need to like it.

So do not worry about my preferences. Any decision you made - I will help you to find around.

And as the subject of the BUGA (BUdesGArtenschau = Federal Garden Show/Festival) sounds very interesting so I might visit it by myself in this Summer. I love the Garden of Monet so that's why I will visit it from Le Havre in May.

In the last years the subjects were somehow less interesting but this year:

short ways

historical gardens as it is the 50th anniversary of BUGA.

Now we need only good weather that you can fully enjoy it.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived