Chankannab anyone been there

worry wart

What is Chankannab like and is the snorkeling good there? Also, do you have to book the swim with dolphins in advance?

Probably have better luck asking on the Cozumel port of call board. I would recommend booking the dolphin swim in advance. Good snorkeling! :)

Chakanaab is very nice. Pretty good snorkeling in nice calm waters. Great facilities too. It can get crowded so the earlier you get there the better. There are steps and ramps that make for easy entry and exit from the water.

I'd definately book well in advance for the dolphin swim!

Are there taxis waiting when it is time to go back to the ship or do you have to tell them to come back? MyDH is worried about getting back to the ship on time. Thanks for any help.

They are there waiting on you. There will be someone at the gate who's sole job is to get you a taxi. The taxis are lined up so there won't be any waiting. Have a great time...also, click the link below and there is pics and info for first time visitors.

We have not done the dolphin encounter but we always bring a camera when we go to Chankanaab and there is no reason you can't take your own pictures. They do take pictures for you at the dolphin encounter that you can choose to buy or not (I believe).

Can one only snorkel from shore, or can you pay for a boat to take you out further to a reef ? Can you get on the atlantis mini submarine here or do you have to meet it elsewhere? Are there good places to eat in the park? Are they expensive?

If you forget to bring the coupon with you, ask your cab driver if he has one. They often have coupons with entrance into the park plus 2 drinks and a free t-shirt for a package price. They also have packages with snorkel gear, etc.

You snorkel and scuba dive from shore. I have not seen Atlantis Submarines at Chankanaab, but they keep adding things every time we go since they recovered from the hurricane. I know they offer snuba, swim with the dolphins, a beautiful floral walk area, a mayan ruins replica area, a pool, shops, restaurant, etc. They also have a huge clean restroom with showers.

The restaurant was relatively inexpensive and waiters/waitresses walk along the beach taking orders for anyone that wants anything (you don't have to get out of your lounge chair if you don't want to).

Just a note - we drove by Discover Mexico and it was a huge tourist place with busses everywhere. It didn't look appealing to us.

My brother just got off the boat today and said he really like Chankanaab (sp?).

They did not have to book the swim with the dolphins ahead of time and had no problem getting in (at nearly half the price that was charged on the ship). I assume this has to do with the season. I am going in a week in a half so I hope to have the same luck. It will either be here or punta sur, which I heard was also beautiful.

We're planning to do the Dolphin Encounter but book it ourselves to save some $$$.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get there from the port in Cozumel with 3 kids...our youngest will be 2 1/2 so I am trying to think of a safe way to get him there, especaially if we can't use a carseat there.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the dolphin encounter booked at Chankanaab for our 2/14 cruise...when I was looking at our bookings today, the Chankanaab excursion was xxxx'd out on our itinerary, said 'booking info cannot be found' and now when we look up Cozumel excursions it shows one in Dolphinaris instead.....

So I quickly cancelled the Chankanaab encounter and rebooked for Dolphinaris, since is the one excursion I cared about doing more than any other.

Anybody else hear anything about the encounter being canceled or changed?

Heads up to anyone interested. Chank. is offering a 30% discount to carnival and disney cruisers. Must be to make up from Carnival pulling all their excursions from there.

www.*****promos/

I have a reservation for Feb. 16th. I emailed and asked them to adjust my total. I hope they will...

I wonder why Carnival pulled their excursion?

Another Promo from Chankanaab is a free cab ride from the port if you have 4 or more paid swimmers. You have to ask for it in advance (I did so by e mail).

I have a group of 8 scheduled to swim with the dolphins on 2/19/09. I will try to get the promo rate. That wasn't posted when I scheduled a month ago.

Thanks for the heads up! jm

Archived