Puerto Rico's El Yungue rain forest excursions

Binky fairy

I am going to Puerto Rico on Holland America Maasdam. They offer 2 excursions to the El Yungue rain forest. One of the excursions is a hike, the other is a driving tour. My questions are: Is the rain forest drive boring, do you get to experience the feel of the rain forest, and are the stops long enough to take photos? If I took the rain forest hiking excursion, is it strenuous, is it a relatively flat hike, do they have many stops to photograph/enjoy the scenery/catch my breath? Is this a great excursion? I am in my mid 50's and in moderate shape. Is it best to take this excursion in the morning or afternoon? Does it rain more so in the morning or afternoon in Puero Rico, as I want to plan other activities? Thank you:)

Hi

Can't really comment on the excursions offered, but if it were me I would go for the trip with the hike as that's going to give you a better feel for the rainforest. Most of the trails are pretty good and i would imagine that the one the tour does will be relatively easy/ Here is a list of the various trails http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/places-to-see/el-yunque/walking-trails-in-el-yunque-rainforest/

I think it's better to do El Yunque in the morning and then you will have the rest of the day to explore Old San Juan.

You can walk around OSJ or do a segway tour or carriage ride of Old San Juan.

There is a free trolley service that will take you to El Morro and San Cristobel Fort.

There are several museums and plazas and of course plenty of retsaurants

have fun

I also have not done the cruise line tour, but I have seen hundreds of the tour buses and see what they do.

They go up RT 191 into the rainforest. They stop at La Coca Falls, then the Yokahu Observation Tower. You can get out and take pictures.

Then they continue up.

From there, they usually go either of 2 places.

They either use Caimatillo trail to La Mina waterfall.

For Caimatillo- it is a short, relatively easy trail, through woods. Pretty but nothing spectacular.

To hike to La Mina Falls, they use either of these trails:

La Mina is more steps down to the waterfall, it goes along the river- very pretty!

Big Tree - is nice, deep into the woods. A little longer than La Mina trail, but less steep (easier). It has informational placards along the way.

If you are in decent shape, you can do any of the trails. My 81 yo FIL did Big Tree trail!

Personally, I try to avoid the rainforest in the morning, since ALL the tour buses go then. By 10am, La Mina Falls is busy! If you have the chance to do an afternoon tour, it will be less crowded and you may enjoy it more.

But, you would have to plan what other activities you want to do, and see which time works best for you.

The hike to Las Minas falls is worth it. There are three options to get there. One is to start at Palo Colorado and walk the Las Minas trail down to the falls. A very nice walk along the river. I really like it. The problem with that is returning to Palo Colorado requires walking back up a lot of stairs.

A second option is to walk the big tree trail to the falls. A little less steep. Nice trail with signs describing the rain forest at that level. (It changes further up the mountain.) The problem there is the trail is not along the river so you miss that.

My preferred way is to have the tour driver (or who ever is transporting you) drop you off at Palo Colorado and then walk down to the falls and then to the parking lot for the big tree trail. It is less strenuous and you get to see the entire trail.

My questions are: Is the rain forest drive boring, do you get to experience the feel of the rain forest, and are the stops long enough to take photos? If I took the rain forest hiking excursion, is it strenuous, is it a relatively flat hike, do they have many stops to photograph/enjoy the scenery/catch my breath? Is this a great excursion? I am in my mid 50's and in moderate shape. Is it best to take this excursion in the morning or afternoon? Does it rain more so in the morning or afternoon in Puero Rico, as I want to plan other activities? Thank you:)

The rain forest is up in the mountains, so there's some grandiose scenery in addition to the plants. Also it's going to be cooler than an Amazonian rain forest. The drive to/from the rainforest is not terribly exciting, but the landscape itself is photogenic and interesting. You can take as much or as little of the "hikes" as you want, at your own pace; experienced hikers probably wouldn't regard it as a hike at all (more of a brief amble).

We have a day and 1/2 to explore PR. before getting on Celebrity Galaxy. We thought of exploring Old San Juan the afternoon we arrive and maybe have dinner there. Any thought on a moderate place the locals might go to. The next day we thought of going to El Yunque. We figure we can do a few of the trails maybe have lunch some where then perhaps a beach or something else in that area???

Thanks for all the advice RayinPR and Coquishideaway. Having been an innkeeper for 20+ years I really appreciate all you are doing to help your Island. Would love to check out your place sometime. I am traveling with friends that are city folk so staying in San Juan is more their speed!

We have a day and 1/2 to explore PR. before getting on Celebrity Galaxy. We thought of exploring Old San Juan the afternoon we arrive and maybe have dinner there. Any thought on a moderate place the locals might go to. The next day we thought of going to El Yunque. We figure we can do a few of the trails maybe have lunch some where then perhaps a beach or something else in that area???

Thanks for all the advice RayinPR and Coquishideaway. Having been an innkeeper for 20+ years I really appreciate all you are doing to help your Island. Would love to check out your place sometime. I am traveling with friends that are city folk so staying in San Juan is more their speed!

The nearest beach to El Yunque is Balneario Monserrate in Luquillo. After you're through with the rain forest, head back down to Route 3 and continue east (toward Fajardo) for about 5-10 minutes. You'll see the row of "kiosks" on the left (you can stop into one of those for lunch). Take the next jug handle on the right which takes you under Route 3 and to the entrance for the beach. There is also a small selection of typical fried snacks available inside the beach.

If you want to visit some uncrowded spots in El Yunque, take a look a Juan Diego Falls and Angelito Trail. You won't be disappointed!

Ther is only one beach to go to if you are in that area. Continue on Rte three past Palmer and you will come to Th Balinaerio Montserrat or Luquillo Public Beach. A beautiful horseshoe bay ringed with palms. Maintained by the state it is clean and gorgeous. Safe swimming with showers and toilet facilities. Best beach in PR. For lunch try Antojitos right off rte three at the road to Rio Mar. Excellent and friendly..

Archived