scuba and snorkeling Tortola, St Thomas, San Juan, Nassau

soulja

We'll be sailing on Carnival Freedom on 4/25. Myself and my Wife are going with a Friend of mine and his G/F. Him and I both Dive. The women want to go snorkeling. None of us have ever to been to any of these cruise ports. Does anyone have any recommendations so we can go on the same dive boat, that does both scuba and snorkeling?

First, skip San Juan. There isn't much to see there.

Second, you'll have to book privately. All the shore excursions through the ships are one or the other not both divers and snorkelers.

Most the dive operations in Tortola are going to want to take you out to the Rhone for scuba. This is in open water and not a place you want to go snorkeling. There might be some good snorkeling over at Virgin Gorda. I'd look for a private dive operator in Virgin Gorda (short boat ride from Tortola). You should be able to find someone who will pick you up just outside the cruise terminal (their is a yacht club there).

I've been to St. Thomas twice and all the scuba diving is in water too deep to do snorkeling (well you could but it wouldn't be fun). Search cruise critic for Admiralty Dive. I have seen a lot of good recommendations for them (in St. Thomas).

I have never been to Nassau so I cannot help you out there.

I would try Stuart's Cove for your Nassau stop. I don't know if they will do a combo dive/snorkel, since all of the dives that I have been on there (around 30 or so) go to around 50-80', all too deep for snorkeling. But they are the best dive operation in Nassau. They offer snorkeling trips too, so if you don't mind splitting up once you get to the dive shop, it would be perfect.

• 7 months later...

We did a combo with Admiralty out of St. Thomas. Good operation. Weather was so-so for the snorkelers - a little rough. A storm had been through the previous week. Had the day been sunny and the water a little calmer it would have been perfect for both the divers and the snorkelers. They had guides for both groups which was nice. Plus sodas and snacks afterwards.

Archived