Question about Priceline

chrob

I have read so much on these boards about Priceline and the really good deals which people get........but what happens if you're not happy with the choice of hotel which you are allocated?

Can you refuse the first offer and request another one?

Once that bid is accepted, that money is whisked so fast from your credit card :) From what I have gathered (and Ive only used Priceline 3 times) you don't get to refuse, but then if you wanted to choose your hotel, Priceline is not the place to do it. Just read up on the hotel lists here: http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding and see if you'll be happy with the hotels in the *rating you choose. We could not have been happier with what we were given, and I would not hesitate to use it again.

You're bringing out my legal side: On Priceline, YOUare the one making the OFFER (to pay a certain nonrefundable amount for any hotel that meets the requirements you listed -- level of stars as rated by Priceline and location) and it is for the hotels to accept or refuse...it is there action that creates the contract. You give credit card info up front, so once the bid is accepted the transaction is complete. If the deal can be broken its by pleading your case of gross error to Priceline and not just by saying you're unhappy with the selection. [in some cases, Priceline counter-offers by asking you to increase your bid. You can then raise your bid to any number between your first price and the suggested price and see if any hotel bites. But, you're still in the same boat of not knowing which hotel you're bidding on.]

That doesn't mean that you can't get an edge in the process. At the bidding for travel site that was linked above, you can go under Vancouver and select "Hotel List" to see what has come up in the past. Its possible that the possible hotels change without being reflected on the list, but its a fairly safe bet. So, you can narrow the field and decide whether you'd be happy with all/most of the likely hotels. The site will also let you see what people are getting by certain bids and will walk you through the bidding process generally to get you more comfortable.

I'm wary of Priceline generally. But in Vancouver, the number of 4-star hotels on Priceline is so limited that you can feel more comfortable in what you are getting. (Just make sure you are selecting Vancouver's geographic area rather than the Vancouver airport area or one of the suburbs ... if that is what you want.) Last year, I was hoping for the Hyatt...got the Sheraton...no big deal...thought it was an amazing place. I'm very risk averse but thought it was worth it in this case -- still pretty scary when you hit that button to enter your bid.

If you could refuse, then the whole concept would not exist, at least not in the current form. You offer and they either say yes they will sell a room at that price, or no they will not. And, once they accept, THEY can not change their mind either.

By the way, I have purchase at least 8 hotel rooms via Priceline, 3 Jamaica and 1 Cancun via SkyAuction. These guys all do what they say they do. You just need to understand the rules/limits.

The link by an earlier poster is great to get an IDEA of what you will find. No promises though.

Archived