Snorkel and excursion questions

BIG_Steve

Hi,

I'm 51, and haven't snorkeled for 30 years. At this point, I can not see a thing without my glasses. Do contacts work okay with a mask? I'm wondering if the mask tugging at my face would jar a contact loose. I really don't want to buy a prescription mask.....

Should I bring my own gear? I'm wondering if the rental masks are sanitary?

We are going to Freeport, Nassau, and NCLs' private Island each for one day. Wife has no interest in snorkling. Given the itinerary, does anyone know of an excursion that would keep her entertained while I snorkel for an hour or two? She's not into lounging in a chair on the beach, or walking around town without me. I suppose the ideal excursion would be a larger boat that had some kind of entertainment for her to take part in while I swim. Any ideas?

The biggest worry about masks and contacts is if your mask floods you can loose a contact lens. A well fitting mask will stay on without the strap when you breathe in through your nose.

The main worry about using rental or borrowed equipment is many people use spit as a de-fogger. As long as the masked is rinsed thoroughly before use that should not be a big worry. I'd recommend that you get your own snorkel. Rental fins are usually ok, make sure you wash your feet well that night.

Sorry, no info on the excursions, I have not been to those ports yet.

You can get masks with your prescription at any scuba center or on line. And if your eyes are too bad you can get goggles with corrections. I snorkeled with my contacts for years until i got my eyes fixed. And some bigger dive centers around the world now have lenses that they can fit into rented masks.

Archived