Question about getting to the Conquest and back

TransplantedOkies

My family will be flying into Hobby Airport on March 6th for our very first cruise that departs March 8th. We have reserved a rental car at Hobby airport for March 6th through March 8th.

My question is when we drop the car off on March 8th will we still be able to have Carnival pick us up from the airport and bring us to the ship?

I know the Carnival transfers are expensive, but is there any other way we can arrange transportation?

When we return to port on March 15th we will have to have transportation back to Hobby to pick up our rental car again.

We reserved the rental car at Hobby due to the inavailability to get a rental car in Galveston due to the hurricane.

We also did this so we would not have to pay parking fees for a week.

We are staying at a hotel in Webster, TX for 5 days after our cruise.

Well, I can answer part of your questions..you should be able to take Carnival bus from the airport to the port as long as you go the day of the cruise. You can't go to Galveston a day early and take their bus for some reason. And you can take the bus back to Hobby after the cruise if its the same day. Hobby Apt is $30(i think)each way..per person. There is supposedly a super shuttle that you might be able to take. But i don't know the details of that. Depends on how many people you have and if you have to pay for all yourself or if there are more families to split the cost. Some have used limos as cheaply when the cost was split between a couple of families. Hope this helps some!

That should work then, call the cruiseline or who ever you booked your cruise through and you can get signed up for the transfers. Of course, you have to pay then too. but I like having it all set up. If they want to know a flight number for either way, you can always have looked one up and give them that one!! ;)

This might seem like a crazy idea, but did you check the prices for the car rental and parking for the week. Some of the car companies give pretty good deals for longer rentals, and the parking in Galveston is only $50 for the week. When you combine this with the increased ease of driving yourself to and from the terminal, it might work out to be the better plan?>

This might seem like a crazy idea, but did you check the prices for the car rental and parking for the week. Some of the car companies give pretty good deals for longer rentals, and the parking in Galveston is only $50 for the week. When you combine this with the increased ease of driving yourself to and from the terminal, it might work out to be the better plan?>

I did exactly this during the week of 1/10-1-18 (Conquest). The car (small compact) came out to $187.60 and I stayed at the Hotel Galvez for one night before the cruise and was able to keep my car there for the week for $14. They also had a shuttle between their hotel and the port.

The rate I got was through Budget and didnt involve any special codes. It did take some time constantly searching and using Kayak.

For a little over 200 this allowed a lot more flexibility and gave my GF and I the time to do a little more sight seeing and we didn't feel rushed.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way(cheap & efficient) to get from Houston to Galveston or vice versa. If someone could or would come up with the right idea & plan they'd strike a gold mine.

You could always look in to booking a town car or SUV transportation via a limo service, such as Gulf Coast Limousine. Not sure of the exact price, but a town car to Hobby from Galveston would probably be in the same range as a pay per person shuttle bus. Having a personal driver is a lot better than being herded like cattle too.

Archived