NCL Gem to W. Med 1st Cruise & LOTS of Questions!!

I finally did it and booked my first cruise (well, I was on the Silja ferry cruise last year but that doesn't REALLY count lol).

I have many questions & hoping some kind people can help. I have been to Europe a few times on my own and like the freedom of "doing my own thing" so being on the ship is a concern, also I am hoping the excursions can pack in what I want without feeling "herded". OK...so whew, here are my questions..

I am mid-30s single, going solo on Norwegian Gem. Is this a decent cruise for my age range? Do they have any activities geared toward singles like I read about for RCCl and/or Carnival at night or first day (not that I mind being solo, but might be nice to meet some new people who aren't already with family/friends). What kinds of activites do they plan? Do they have evening activities? Classes/workshops?

Is it hard to get dining for 1 in the restaurants (I am not big on buffets so hoping to get to the sit down places - also is there a sit, down one outside that is not buffet style?).

Which restaurants on Gem W. Med cruise have cover charge? Most specifically interested in Tequilas and the Italian one - have heard different things, the NCL rep on phone I thought said there was, reading online I don't see there is - also how much are these 2 places?). How much are normal drink prices ie martini/cosmo or then a vodka/cran? Also just buying a single bottle of club soda/seltzer? I am wondering if I would be better off not buying the drink package - I drink mostly bottled seltzer/club soda @ home. Can you bring seltzer and or regular sodas on board? Have read conflicting things and just don't want a problem boarding.

Spa - heard about the "pass" what does it get you? Worth it? I don't use hot tubs, but saw the stone chairs and they looked nice. Is there always a wait? I know they limit # sell but still few chairs. I would like to use after the long day/before dinner but prb time others would too... Also, for massages, does anyone know prices on those? How/when to book? Adult pool - is it nice/full? Lounge pool chairs - can you ever find a place to sit???

Rooms- I have and "obstructed oceanview" on deck 8. Would anyone know about these? Are they horrible? They said it's "partial" I guess and for the price it was much cheaper than the regular ocean which was on deck 5.

Excursions - I am so confused on this on. I normall do my own planning in Europe but missing the boat makes me nervous. I know the train is wonderful but I just keep thininking "what if I can't find the station, what if something happens.." should I just buck up and pay extra for their excursions esp in Rome? I was planning to get train then do the tour in city myself to save and get more time on my own.

Malta - any of theirs you rec? Naples - I am leaning toward the Amalfi & Pompei one - any thoughts? I wanted the one with Capri/Sorrento but read toooo many stories of people getting sick on the hydrofoil and seeing someone sick would ruin it for me ugh! Livorno - Thiniking of Pisa/Florence trip they have $$ but think for time it might get the most in, would love to drink wine in Tuscany too but not enough time! Any other better recs there to get things in? Thinking the Monaco/Eze on for the last stop (saw Eze on Sam Brown's show a few years ago) any recs here?? Nice looks good too though....

Would anyone know of a private tour person who might charge LESS than the NCL tours for 1 person?? Most are very $ because based on 3-4 people. Being single sucks for cruising :(

I am staying 2 extra night in Barcelona @ Hotel Jazz - any other recs that might be cheaper? How do I get to the port from hotel & then back? Taxi best? Cost? Does anyone know if the airport bus pick up in a.m. FROM where you drop off? I guess I will be taking that in as it's the cheapest forme of transport.

Any recs for good restaurants in Barcelona?

ANY and ALL help for info would be so greatly appreciated!!

Hi,

If you post this on the NCL Gem roll call of the week you are going to Europe, then you might be able to find some people that are looking to do tours that would be of interest to you.

I am sure that you would get answers to your questions there also. This is our 5th cruise but we have never been to Europe. I guess that we also have lots of questions.

Judi

First, take a deep breath. Is probably easiest to tackle things one step at a time. As the others said, for your ship specific questions, its best to ask on the board for that cruise line. For the different ports, it all comes down to your comfort level. We tend to do our own independent thing in most ports, in some ports we'll do a private tour and sometimes we do a ships tour. Definitely look at the roll call for your cruise to meet up with other going on the same cruise. Sometimes you can share private tours with them. The private tour operators are very good at getting people back to the ship on time, their reputation is at risk. Going on your own is definitely the highest risk, but if you watch your time and always have a backup plan, usually it all works out. If you search on your individual ports, you will find info on private and do it yourself ideas here.

Archived