11:30 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale?

CBowling

Anyone with experience leaving cruise ship in Ft. Lauderdale? We are on Enchantment for 4 night cruise May 7 -11. What are my chances of catching an 11:30 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport? Are there plenty of cabs at terminal and how long does it take to get there? Help. I don't want to miss my flight, but this would be my best flight option.

Thanks!

Ft. Lauderdale is the only cruise port/airport combination I would EVER try a before noon flight. I did do this once in both Miami and Orlando and would NEVER try it again. If one small thing went wrong we would never have made it through security and the plane. Too nerve racking for me.

Tim

Wow that's pretty early, we have arrived at the airport that early before and since it wasnt a weekend, the security lines werent that bad. I'd check to see if there is a later flight. Why have that added stress worrying about making it to the airport on time. Too many things can happen that would prevent you from catching your flight

I really goofed and made 9:05am flight ressie from Fort Lauderdale on March 29 from IOS 8 night eastern caribbean cruise. What do you think? Can we make it? Thanks for any advice!

Wow! That's a heck of a mistake. The ship doesn't even dock until 7am :eek:

If I were you, I would probably try and change the reservation. I have experience flying in/out of FLL and while it's not as bad as Tampa or Orlando, I think you still need to allow yourself an hour to get through everything at the very least. If you somehow happen to fall off the ship at 7am, it's about 30 mins to get there, which puts you at 7:30 and then 1 hour to get through everything and you are talking 8:30. If it they don't start letting people off until 7:30 then you'd barely make it.

I mean to make that flight, you're going to have to be the first off and hope you can get off immediately and that the ship isn't late.

Good luck. I wish you the best.

Raytownlady, were you skeptical about my 11:30 or the post regarding the 9:00?

I would NEVER try the 9:00. I usually try and book a 2:30 or later. Most the time I can make it to the airport by noon. I have no experience @ Ft. Lauderdale, and thought it was worth asking the question.

I really goofed and made 9:05am flight ressie from Fort Lauderdale on March 29 from IOS 8 night eastern caribbean cruise. What do you think? Can we make it? Thanks for any advice!

Mary

Wow, that in my opinion is too early to risk. It is possible to make a flight that early, but any hiccup and you are in serious danger of missing the flight. Cruise ships do not always arrive on time to port (i.e. bad weather, mechanical problems, medical issue etc.) can all delay the ship. Also people are not allowed to leave the ship as soon as the ship docks - this ship must clear custmoms/immigration. You may not be able to leave the ship for 30-60 minutes after it docks (and sometimes even longer). Then you need to factor in the possibilities of hitting traffic on way to the airport and potentially long lines to pass through security, and potentially long lines to check luggage. If it were me I would pay a change fee and book a later flight. These days flights are often flying full, so if you miss your flight you may have a very long wait to get a new one. Also if you have travel insurance my guess if they would not cover and additional expenses you incur by missing your flight since it was such an early flight.

Good luck and have a nice cruise. :)

Anyone with experience leaving cruise ship in Ft. Lauderdale? We are on Enchantment for 4 night cruise May 7 -11. What are my chances of catching an 11:30 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale airport? Are there plenty of cabs at terminal and how long does it take to get there? Help. I don't want to miss my flight, but this would be my best flight option.

Thanks!

We haven't sailed out of there since 2003. Unless something drastic has changed you won't have any problems. Very short trip from the port to the airport.

Mary

Mary I hate to say it but you may have a problem with that time. To many things have to go just right to stand a chance. The ship has to dock and be cleared on time. You need to self carry your bags off the ship. Very few ships disembarking at that time. Again unless something has changed it is a small airport and can get very crowded if there are multiple ships in port.

If it was me I would try and change the flights.

Raytownlady, were you skeptical about my 11:30 or the post regarding the 9:00?

I would NEVER try the 9:00. I usually try and book a 2:30 or later. Most the time I can make it to the airport by noon. I have no experience @ Ft. Lauderdale, and thought it was worth asking the question.

The airport is only 15 to 20 minutes from the cruise port and you can usually get off the ship by 8:00 you should have lots of time.:):):)

Archived