bringing WC on International flights?

Arwenmark

I have never traveled on an international flight so I don't know how they handle transport of personal WC's. I know they are not ADA or DOT so can anyone tell me what your experience has been with this.

most likely I would bring my folding WC.

This would be flights to and from Barcelona. Thanks for any info.

What kind of wheelchair and what airport/airline are you flying out of? All of this makes a huge difference.

I flew last July on Continental from Newark, NJ to Barcelona with my electric scooter. No problems whatsoever. Barcelona is amazing and everything is accessible.

On the other hand, I flew out of JFK to Malaga through Paris on Air France. It was an absolute horror story. I can give you the details but the long and short of it is to avoid JFK and Air France at all costs.

I've flown an awful lot of places with my scooter so please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Kate

I have flown my manual and power chair at least 50 times including London. If you are just flying a manual chair they have to put it in the closet. If they have first or business class they have a closet. First come first served. If they have to stow it take the arms and pegs on board with you. I'm assuming you are flying to and from the USA. They have to comply and are usually great.

I've flown to the Philippines (from a US city) with my manual chair, without a problem. They stowed it in the passenger cabin closet, had it ready for me when I got off the plane, and had an in-flight wheelchair for my use (that's a VERY long flight). And I've flown to/from Canada without incident (on Canadian airlines). You shouldn't have a problem with a collapsible manual chair.

I have never traveled on an international flight so I don't know how they handle transport of personal WC's. I know they are not ADA or DOT so can anyone tell me what your experience has been with this.

most likely I would bring my folding WC.

This would be flights to and from Barcelona. Thanks for any info.

You might want to go to www.flyertalk.com . They have a disability airline travel forum that is very helpful.

Archived