Panama Canal route a bit confusing

I thought I was good at travel planning - but I admit to not being able to understand the Serenade transcanal excursion opportunities.

Please give me some advice on the ports I'm not familiar with!

April 28 Panama Canal cruising tendered

Why is this tendered? Do some people chose to leave the ship as it passes through the Canal? Wouldn't watching from the ship be better??

April 28 Fuerte Amador tendered

I can't information on this stop. Is it at the end of the locks? What are some of the best things to do here?

April 30 Puntarenas

Suggestions for shore excursions please!

May2 Huatulco

Again - suggested activities?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

mringoldus....Have done this route on the Radiance the last two years and we are doing it again in the spring (Radiance). You do not have the opportunity to get off of the ship during the transit. And you are right....even if you did have the chance you would not want to. Going through the locks is awesome. This is a truly fantastic day. Fuerte Amador is basically on the outskirts of Panama City. You have to tender to get to it. This year was the first time we had stopped there and it was awful Hopefully they have worked it out by now. Tenders got lost for hours. Excursions to museums got there to find the museums closed, etc. We just stayed onboard but heard many bad things. Otherwise, the trip was fantastic. Puntarenas....I would recommend a ship's excursion. They are all long though as everything is a long distance from the pier. If you don't want to do a ship's excursion though...there will be plenty of taxi drivers that will take you on a tour. (Again, most everything that you would want to see is a ways from the pier.) Hutualco....a beautiful port. The pier is only about 18 mos old. It is hard for the captain to get the ship into but a great port! We played golf but a lot of people just hired taxis to take them on tours and really seemed to enjoy it. I think I answered your questions. I hope it helps a little. This is a fantastic trip!

Did this same trip last year on the Radiance, first time for some of these port for RCL. In Costa Rice we did the Zip Line Tour, on our own, full day including lunch and shopping and it was GREAT! Huatalco we did a sailing and snorkel trip, about 5 hours and it is beautiful. Not a lot to do but the water is pristine. Lots of dolpins. Did not get off the ship in the Canal Zone, those that did were not happy campers. We went in October and it RAINED and RAINED and POURED and was miserable for those outside and on the tours. We watched from our balcony for awhile then went up to the Viking Crown and got lunch from the Windjammer, moved one of the couches close to the window and watched while we ate and drank. It was awesome. Remember that you will be able to actually touch the side of the locks as the ship makes the transit, we only had about 2 feet on each side of the boat to spare! Awesome SHIP and awesome trip. Hope you have a balcony!

Sadly - I'm not going (I've arranged this trip for my relatives). Wish I was!One is an avid golfer and I remember skiiergirl mentioning the taxi and golf outing on a previous post It just seemed a bit pricey but a unique opprtunity to play an international course.

What can a person do in Fuerte Amador?

They do have a balcony (it's a gty so we don't know the cabin number yet.)

Archived