alaska-the one thing we must do...

rashrg123

Hi,

I am a Carribean Cruiser and my wife likes Alaska. So surprise...we are going to Alaska!!

We made an agreement. One Alaska cruise and I never have to go back!!!

We are not doing any land tours, but we wanted to know, In your opinion what is the one thing that we can not miss while cruising Alaska?

We are going to Ketchitkan, Sitka, and Juno.

Thanks,

Robert

one day is a "cruise only" at Hubbard bay. I made sure that our suite was on the side of the ship that will be facing the glaciers.

They swivel the ship so that everyone who stays in their cabin gets a look for part of the time. You're missing about 3 of the 4 hours of glacier time by doing that though - Murphy's Laws state that the largest calving will happen when you're facing away from it! :D

They swivel the ship so that everyone who stays in their cabin gets a look for part of the time. You're missing about 3 of the 4 hours of glacier time by doing that though - Murphy's Laws state that the largest calving will happen when you're facing away from it! :D

how funny i can't stand Murphy!! thanks for the info...

We have been on multiple Caribbean cruises and to Hawaii. We thought we were only going to Alaska once too-but, guess what?-it was our favorite of all cruises and we went back again this past September,

Not sure I understand the comment about not doing any land tours-the excursions in Alaska are fantastic.

Anyway, here's our thoughts.

Best excursion: flightseeing to the Misty Fjords out of Ketchikcan (Island Wings or Carlin Air).

Second best (also Ketchikan) the crab fishermans trip.

Juneua:whale watching with Captain Larry. Also, a trip to the Mendendhall Glacier is cheap and easy. Shuttle bus from town. We walked to the waterfall which was another bonus. There is a walking path by the visitor's center and you may be able to see bear..

Sitka-we walked through the park to the raptor center. They put on a nice program with the eagles. Stopped at the hatchery on the way. Very interesting and cheap day.

As far as viewing the Hubbard Glacier. Get out of the cabins and on top of the decks. Move around as needed when the ship swivels. It is more than a view-it is a wonderful sensory experience. Take some small binoculars.

Robert, listen to your wife-she knows best;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We have been on multiple Caribbean cruises and to Hawaii. We thought we were only going to Alaska once too-but, guess what?-it was our favorite of all cruises and we went back again this past September,

Not sure I understand the comment about not doing any land tours-the excursions in Alaska are fantastic.

Anyway, here's our thoughts.

Best excursion: flightseeing to the Misty Fjords out of Ketchikcan (Island Wings or Carlin Air).

Second best (also Ketchikan) the crab fishermans trip.

Juneua:whale watching with Captain Larry. Also, a trip to the Mendendhall Glacier is cheap and easy. Shuttle bus from town. We walked to the waterfall which was another bonus. There is a walking path by the visitor's center and you may be able to see bear..

Sitka-we walked through the park to the raptor center. They put on a nice program with the eagles. Stopped at the hatchery on the way. Very interesting and cheap day.

As far as viewing the Hubbard Glacier. Get out of the cabins and on top of the decks. Move around as needed when the ship swivels. It is more than a view-it is a wonderful sensory experience. Take some small binoculars.

Robert, listen to your wife-she knows best;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

that was funny. listening to her is how we have survived the first 6 years and i want many more so i will keep on listening!!

thanks for the info.

We agree wholeheartedly, be there in August on the Island Princess 4th time. The Lord be willing and the stock market survives we will go a few more times. There is nothing like Alaska and it is our back yard.

rashrg123 after your cruise you will recognize your wife is the intelligent one. Next time try a one way.

Hi,

I am a Carribean Cruiser and my wife likes Alaska. So surprise...we are going to Alaska!!

We made an agreement. One Alaska cruise and I never have to go back!!!

We are not doing any land tours, but we wanted to know, In your opinion what is the one thing that we can not miss while cruising Alaska?

We are going to Ketchitkan, Sitka, and Juno.

Thanks,

Robert

June will be my first to Alaska but guess what? I have a feeling it won't be my last. And I'll bet you 5 cents it won't be your last either. You'll be hooked like the rest of the folks on this site. Just go to the picture albums board and look at all the breathtaking pix of Alaska. There's NOOOO way 1 trip could ever satisfy the soul. Good luck with that though and, in the meantime, I'll just say bon voyage because you will surely have the time of your life. icon7.gif

I tried Alaska in 2002 and am going back this year. It is the most beautiful place on Earth. I've cruised much of the Caribbean and Hawaii, but Alaska was really a very special place that left such an impression on me. It is hard to put into words.

i guess i should have explained that better...i am a warm weather lover. i don't hate nature. i just prefer warm carribean breezes!!

i am sure i will love alaska. my heart was set on St. Kitts in a speedo with a beer and now we are doing Juno in 15 layers of clothes with hot chocolate!!!

thanks for all the info!!:D

i guess i should have explained that better...i am a warm weather lover. i don't hate nature. i just prefer warm carribean breezes!!

i am sure i will love alaska. my heart was set on St. Kitts in a speedo with a beer and now we are doing Juno in 15 layers of clothes with hot chocolate!!!

I, too, say to hold back your opinions on Alaska just because you think it's too cold. Alaska is much too magical of a place to be able to only go once. There is way too much to see and all of it is incredible! Doing just a cruise up there cuts out a lot of opportunities. We did a cruisetour last June, starting out in Fairbanks. We did 5 nts on land and then did the 7 nt cruise portion. The one thing that we would definitely do again from our cruise portion would be to take the Adventure Bound boat out of Juneau up the Tracy Arm to the twin Sawyer Glaciers. This excursion covers many things. It is about 9 hrs so you have to have that much time while in port do be able to do this. This is not available thru the cruiseline, it is a private excursion. This adventure was absolutely incredible!!! We saw whales, bears, eagles, native birds, sheep, huge ice bergs that we got right up next to, over 700 waterfalls (I even ended up getting under one), new seal moms with their brand new babies floating on the ice and two of the most active calving glaciers up there. The smaller boat size allows you to get very close to these glaciers. Here's the link to check it out, you will not be disappointed! http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

if you can, do a dog sledding tour on the glaciers....just an aside? why do you never want to come back when you have never been here? Alaska is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and has some of the friendliest people you would ever meet....

We are really looking forward to our visit in Alaska and would really love to see the Dogs. I love animals! What tour do we need to go on to take your above mentioned dogsled trip to the glaciers? Sounds awesome!

Oh no...not a speedo! Just kidding. We love the warm waters of the Caribbean too but thought when the sweltering heat of Aug. is upon us here in the Ozarks, it would be a nice relief to get to tour Alaska.

whale watching is one excursion that is relatively inexpensive. We did it for free during our 2006 cruise-- spending time on the deck and looking out for them. The reward was tremendous. We probably saw over 50 whales in less than 2 hour time span. Some of them are very close the ship. You just need to invest some time out there, with warm cloth/hat and have your binoculars ready. We also did whale watching tour in Juneau. Although the operators will not guarantee for whale sighting, no one has ever failed to see them.

I hate the cold and love the Caribbean climate but I have logged more time in Alaska than the Carribean because there is no place like it. People who know me know I would never give up the warmth of a PA spring or summer-except for Alaska. In fact I am booked on a b2b in May (could still be real cool) because the price is right and I LOVE Alaska.

never say never ;) We cruised to Alaska last year, & thought it would be our only time there, but we both loved it so much we want to go back in a year or two, It wasn't cold at all & it is so majestic, one of our favorite trips was floatplane with Seawind Aviation to Misty Fjords. Have fun.

Ketchikan, Tatoosh Islands sea kayaking..Amazing

Juneau..whitewater rafting trip past the mendenhall glacier

Sitka.helicopter ride over the glaciers!!!

I too thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip, but I would go back in a heartbeat!!

It took me over 20 years to finally go to Alaska and I have suffered from PAD(post Alaska depression) ever since. I actually get all weepy when i see a special on Alaska. I am being forced(meaning bro-in-law is paying) to go to the Caribbean in 2010, but then its back to Alaska, unless the right 6 #s hit then I will be going alot sooner and alot more often.

I knew it was going to be beautiful, but never did I imagine it would seep into my blood and become part of me! I was in complete awe of everything around me the entire time.

Okay Im all weepy again THANKS!!

Perhaps the OP means they are not going on a land tour before or after the cruise. At least that is how I understood it. Until he tells us differently, I think he is looking for excursions out of the ports, but has no intention of visiting Alaska for a land tour of the interior.

We loved the Adventure Bound tour out of Juneau. However, you need a long day in Juneau to fit it in.

Perhaps the OP means they are not going on a land tour before or after the cruise. At least that is how I understood it. Until he tells us differently, I think he is looking for excursions out of the ports, but has no intention of visiting Alaska for a land tour of the interior.

We loved the Adventure Bound tour out of Juneau. However, you need a long day in Juneau to fit it in.

You are correct. We are doing shore excursions but not the "land tours".

That's true, you do since it's about a 9 hr trip. But, it sure is worth it if you have the time, isn't it? :) This is the one that the residents of Juneau bring their family and friends on we were told by a local that was onboard with us.

Go late summer and the tempetures are not bad. Not swiming weather but if you get off the ship you might just like Alaska and go back again.

Try taking a hike. Juno is a good place for that. Either go up mount Jueno on your own or take the Roberts tram - at the dook - up the mountain and do some hicking.

cruzzers......

check out http://www.eraflightseeing.com for a four glacier/dogsledding excursion... I recieved a postcard in the mail from them....it is cheaper then booking thru your cruise line...( I have checked different tour companys)... my mom and i just booked this excursion for May. it sounds fabulous!! ( they do have other excursions also...)

Archived