East martella museum or art and historical musuem key west

worry wart

anyone been to either of these two museums in Key West? I've been to Hemingway already but would like to visit another museum. How far is the Martella museum from the pier? Anyone know what upcoming displays will be featured at Art/Historical house in April of 09?

The East Martello museum has the haunted doll, Robert, I think his name is. He is bigger than I imagined. There are artifacts of early Key West, photos, etc. The garden has sculptures. There is a small book and souvenier shop too.

I'll tell you, however, that I am not sure I would go there if I had to take a taxi, plus there is an entry fee. The museum in the Customs House is better in my opinion. I don't much care for the statue of King Lear that currently guards the front steps, but the statues change from time-to-time, so maybe--hopefully--it will be gone by the time you arrive.

Another museum that I have found to be worthwhile is the Mel Fisher sunken treasure museum. It is said to be the most popular museum in South Florida.

Yes. The Martello towers would be nice if you were staying in Key West and rented bikes to go to them. It would almost also be an excuse to see the other side of the island; Higgs and Smathers Beaches and the White Stree Pier.

There's the Wrecker's Museum and the Audubon House right around Whitehead and Front.

Pjk

Archived