swim with the dolphins or waverunners out to see stingrays?

jaredcoreymama

We left the towels in the trailer at the beach. You won't need them anywhere on the waverunner. Even at Rum Point, you'll dry off pretty fast. you could squeeze one towel in the waverunner compartment if you really want to but we used it for camera, extra contact lenses, cash, sun tan lotion - those types of necessities. :)

• 1 month later...
you can make reservations for Dolphin Cove at reservations@caymandolphincove.com or call 1-345-946-3396.

I have been there and it was a lot of fun.

I would love to hear a review of your time at Dolphin Cove....we are planning a Dolphin Swim there for next week...

Also.....did you have to pay in advance???? Someone on my Roll Call said they did not but in the emails I received from Dolphin Cove they were asking for a credit card #

Thanks!

I would love to hear a review of your time at Dolphin Cove....we are planning a Dolphin Swim there for next week...

Also.....did you have to pay in advance???? Someone on my Roll Call said they did not but in the emails I received from Dolphin Cove they were asking for a credit card #

Thanks!

Liza, please post back about your dolphin experience at Dolphin Cove.

I am currently trying to decide if I want to book with Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery.

Thanks!

Liza, please post back about your dolphin experience at Dolphin Cove.

I am currently trying to decide if I want to book with Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery.

Thanks!

I sure will!! So far i have had great responses to my emails/questions. I told Latoya that I was not comfortable sending CC info via email and she said it was fine to pay when we got there....

I used Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel for a Royal Swim in February. We had a great experience while we where there but they ticked me off a bit regarding a booking for next week......... Just before I left on the cruise in Feb they posted a sale...30% off for anyone on a Carnival ship...you had to book by 2/28 for a swim prior to 4/15. Originally I thought we would go back there in Coz during this April cruise. We were there on 2/16 and when we checked in I told them that i wanted to book for 4/13. The woman at the desk told me that it was an online sale only to wait until we got back home.....When we got home the sale was no longer showing on the website. I called and spoke with someone who said they had gotten enough bookings so they pulled it. I explained what happened. Basically they told me too bad.

I still considered going with them in Coz but when I opted to do the Dolphin swim in GC instead I decided to give Dolphin Cove a try. I am leaving in a few hours for Miami. We'll be in GC next Wed. It usually takes me a few days until i get to a review. I will post the GC part of it here on this thread.

Just returned from our week long cruise! Great time in Cozumel, was looking forward to the Wave Runner Excursion. We have two 13 year old boys so thought this would be an adventure. Unfortunately, this was the worst excursion in the history of our crusing (this is our 5th cruise).

First, if you have never driven a wave runner, this is not for you. The excursion is only 2 hours long, and at the beginning, you are told to go as fast as you can as not to waste anyone's time at Stingray City. Well, the ocean was very choppy with high swells, and I was scared to death. The guide kept YELLING at me to go faster. When we finally got to Stingray City, we only were allowed to stay for 5 minutes, then we had to get back on the wave runners and gun it to the beach. Again, we only stayed for a few minutes before having to get on the wave runners again. By this time, I am in tears as all of the skin has rubbed off my inner thighs and the salt water is burning the heck out of the raw skin.

The ride back was a little better as we were riding with the waves and not against them. But even then, even the experienced riders were tipping over.

Ugh, never again. This excursion should have been cancelled due to the rough sea conditions. I was in horrible pain for the remainder of the cruise and could not enjoy the ocean because of my skin being so raw.

Shawn&Kate, I'm so sorry to hear that you had a terrible time with Grand Cayman excursions. I have read a few similar reviews of that tour and am hoping that it won't be the same way with Ebanks. That sounds awful! We're taking our young children with us....maybe I'll email Shawn and ask him about their policy with rough seas. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad my review helped. I was so looking forward to this excursion, and it really ha,d a very negative effect on the rest of our cruise. I just don't want others to experience the same thing. If I had it to do over, I would have booked with Fat Fish Adventures and took the boat out to Stingray City. His group looked like they were having a blast!

I'm hoping that our weather isn't as bad as yours. We have friends that cruised with Carnival last week and they didn't even make it to Grand Cayman. I talked it over with my husband and if the seas are too choppy then the kids and I will not chance this excursion. He still wants to do it with his friends.

Can you tell me if the dolphin encounter is in the open ocean or in a protected lagoon?? My kids have shark issues.......................:eek::D

I just got back from the Carnival Liberty and we used Dolphin Cove in GC for the Dolphin Swim....It was a great experience! I would absolutely use them again!

It is a protected area....in fact there were no fish swimming around us at all.

I will be posting a full review of my cruise in a couple of days and as I said earlier when I get to the GC part I will post that to this thread as well. I have 2 papers and an exam at school this week so it might take me a bit to get to the review but I can try and answer questions in the meantime....

I just got back from the Carnival Liberty and we used Dolphin Cove in GC for the Dolphin Swim....It was a great experience! I would absolutely use them again!

It is a protected area....in fact there were no fish swimming around us at all.

I will be posting a full review of my cruise in a couple of days and as I said earlier when I get to the GC part I will post that to this thread as well. I have 2 papers and an exam at school this week so it might take me a bit to get to the review but I can try and answer questions in the meantime....

Thank you so much for this update!!!!

I look forward to reading the GC part of your cruise review.

I will try to book this weekend.

So you booked with Dolphin Cove online?

Yes....everything via email.

It was a blast! It was about a 15 minute ride from the pier to the dolphins. We booked through our cruiseline, so a shuttle was provided. The facility is brand new, so everything was clean and beautiful. We were divided into smaller groups depending on what package we purchased. (We did the dolphin push, pull & swim) First, we were all given lifejackets and then taught how to do some different motions to communicate with the dolphin. Then small groups of around 10 were brought into each section of the pool. (Beware - the pool is filled with salt water for those that are sensitive to that) The instructor did some tricks with the dolphin and then let each person do a kiss, hug, push, and pull with the dolphin. There is someone filming and taking photos of every trick so you can purchase them when you're done. It was truly an amazing experience to be that close to a dolphin and see how intellgent they are! I wish we could have been there longer!

Our tour also gave us some time across the street at the Turle Farm. We didn't have full access to the whole park, but just the turtle viewing area. It was amazing to see so many turtles in one place! They are grouped by size so the larger ones are right at the front an you have to walk around for the baby ones. They allow you to pick up the babies and take pictures with them and that was a lot of fun!

Comments & tips:

-Wash off in the shower after because the salt water residue is gross when you're walking around the port for hours after

-Bring a disposable water camera! They don't tell you this, but we were able to bring it down into the pool with us and took really close pictures of the dolphin.

-Photos were an outrageous $15 a piece, but came out great, so we did purchase 2 of them.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Here or through email is fine too.

(kermiefrg@aol.com)

First, I agree...thank you for your response and the update.

Second, the problem I have with booking through either company is that if you skip GC, you will not get a refund. I found a tour company that offers this excursion although I do not know if its for Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery. It's shoretrips dot com. At least if you book through them and the ship skips GC you will get a refund. Just something to think about.;)

First, I agree...thank you for your response and the update.

Second, the problem I have with booking through either company is that if you skip GC, you will not get a refund. I found a tour company that offers this excursion although I do not know if its for Dolphin Cove or Dolphin Discovery. It's shoretrips dot com. At least if you book through them and the ship skips GC you will get a refund. Just something to think about.;)

Not so....Dolphin Cove will give you a full refund if you can't tender....this is one of the reasons I chose them over Dolphin Discoveries.

Not so....Dolphin Cove will give you a full refund if you can't tender....this is one of the reasons I chose them over Dolphin Discoveries.

Did they send that to you via email so that you could print it out and have it for verification/proof later if something happened?

I have read recommendations about shortrips dot com for other excursions. They appear to be reputable. I have not checked with them about this, though.

As long as the information comes via email/computer so that I can have a printed copy, I feel fine booking directly with Dolphin Cove. I am so thankful to read your positive review LizaMM! I look forward to reading more.

Really. Thanks for the info. Good to know. Sorry...it was def dolphin discovery that I emailed and said no refund. With Dolphin Cove....I couldn't find any info on their site regarding a refund.

Did they send that to you via email so that you could print it out and have it for verification/proof later if something happened?

I have read recommendations about shortrips dot com for other excursions. They appear to be reputable. I have not checked with them about this, though.

As long as the information comes via email/computer so that I can have a printed copy, I feel fine booking directly with Dolphin Cove. I am so thankful to read your positive review LizaMM! I look forward to reading more.

I'm glad to hear you read good recommendations for shortrips dot com.

I think I did see it somewhere on the website....BUT the initial info email they sent me included the refund information.

We did the sea doo to stingray city tour with fat fish adventures on Thanksgiving day. Peter (the owner) was an AMAZING guide!

This is a smaller company and they treat you like old friends. It was just the 4 of us all day and we had the time of our lives!

I HIGHLY recommend them!

:D

We are a group of 4 and want to do this tour. This company seems to get better reviews than the others. Did they "push" you like the others do? How fast were you going? One of the adult girls in our group is excited to go but a little nervous about the waverunner. If you rent one for 2 people, can you switch drivers? Thanks

I think I did see it somewhere on the website....BUT the initial info email they sent me included the refund information.

Great to know! Thanks!

11legend, have you compared the price with Dolphin Cove directly vs. booking it with shortrips dot com? I have not compared them. I was just wondering if it is any cheaper to book directly with DC.

I hope to book this weekend when my husband and I can sit down and plan our full GC day. (He wants to dive as well. )

Great to know! Thanks!

11legend, have you compared the price with Dolphin Cove directly vs. booking it with shortrips dot com? I have not compared them. I was just wondering if it is any cheaper to book directly with DC.

I hope to book this weekend when my husband and I can sit down and plan our full GC day. (He wants to dive as well. )

I'm actually not sure if shoretrips dot com's excursion is dolphin cove or dolphin discovery. The price I saw on their website (dolphin encounter) was $103 which I thought was very reasonable. I think Dolphin Discovery was about $99 so its only a few bucks more....if its Dolphin Discovery (which is the one that doesn't give a refund so the extra few dollars is worth it). With dolphin cove's website I couldn't find any prices. Also, they state on their website refunds only with 48 hours notice so I would def get it in writing that they will give you a full refund if the ship does not dock.

Yes, I will definitely verify that and print out a copy to keep.

Thanks so much! I also know that another poster is doing a dolphin encounter some time in April. She promised to post reviews when she returns. I have been waiting for that one too. I may wait one more week to book so that I can read that review also.

Archived