NCL Upgrades/Upsells

JEDIKNIGHT

On Gem I've booked an AA and A4.

Might be interested in upgrading the A4 to an AA.

I booked thru a travel agent. Does that end any chances of my getting a call from the "upsell/upgrade" fairy?

Is there any way I'd be able to initiate the upgrade/upsell myself?

Thanks

I booked thru a travel agent. Does that end any chances of my getting a call from the "upsell/upgrade" fairy?

Thanks

Afraid not , its completely random . Its a supply issue .

And none of us have ever figured out the way in which they choose . Keep your fingers crossed ;)

Thanks

You can initiate a change to higher category, but you pay the market rate on the room (not the Upsell Fairy rate).

Traveled on the Gem on 12/6/2008. I orginally booked the most inexpensive balcony GTY cabin. Three days before we were scheduled to leave, I checked availablity online and saw that there were several open rooms. I call my TA and asked them to investigate a free upgrade. While on hold they upgraded us to a Mini Suite. Doesn't hurt to call and ask.

FYI, upgrade and upsell are completely different. Upgrade does not involve you paying any more money for a better cabin. Many times, it's the same cabin type (ie inside, OV, balcony) but in a better location. More rare is an upgrade to a higher cabin type.

Upsell is when more money is paid for a better cabin. Sometimes people call to make the offer, others have reported calling on their own and getting a good deal. Of course, how good that deal is would be completely up to you.

I agree that I would call your TA just to see what they could or would do for you. It never hurts to ask. Before you call them, go online to NCL.com and find out what the current rate difference is between what you have booked and what you want booked. You have to go by NCL's prices because that is what the upsell fairy will use. Take what the difference is currently from what you have and what you want, and then divide that amount in half. That is close to the amount the upsell fairy will offer it to you.

The reason I suggest you do that research first is, if you call your TA and they tell you they can get you the cabin you want for X amount of dollars more that what you have already paid, you can see if it is a close enough deal to just go ahead and do it through your TA, rather than hoping for a call from the upsell fairy.

Usually they call the balcony cabins for minisuites, lower balcony cabins for upper balcony cabins, and then oceanview cabins for balcony cabins. Its much the same for inside cabins. Very rarely do they call inside cabins for a oceanview or balcony cabin.

Outside of the suites, most of the rest of the cabins are of similar sizes. Minisuites usually have bath tubs, most of the balcony and oceanview cabins have showers. Frankly, I don't think its a big deal anyway.

Archived