Summit - Mystery Light In Toilet

CruiseDiver

Hi all,

Just returned from Summit cruise with good time had by all.

Just wondering if any prior Summit cruisers have seen the mystery light in toilet late at night with all lights out. Seemed to be a glow in the water. Didn't believe my wife when she told me about it until I saw it for myself and confirmed by my tablemates Charlie & Bridgett from Virginia, Ann & Bodann from Ft Lauderdale, and Keith and Sheila from jolly olde England (well I don't think Sheila had a chance to see it. Hi guys!). Anyway, it seemed to show about 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock in the morning but, I checked when I got up the last day at 6:30am, closed the bathroom door with lights out and there was the glow in the toilet. The light disappeared after flushing. Anyone else see the light and you guys going on Summit soon. Let us know if you see the light. We'll have people all the way from England looking for answers. Maybe you'll need to take a geigercounter to check for radiation. icon_biggrin.gif

Let us know. We'll be waiting.

James

17s.gif

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Voyager of the Seas 05/00

Majesty of the Seas 02/01

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

Sovereign of the Seas 09/02

Navigator of the Seas 03/03

Celebrity Summit 03/26/04

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=3>

<param name="day" value=26>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Til Summit cruise

Weird!!! Were you going through the Bermuda Triangle at the time?

Anita

And now Infinity 2005!

Millennium 2003

Century 2002

Summit 2001

Century 2000

Zenith 1996

Horizon 1994

Horizon 1993

Sunward 1992

Star Princess 1990

Maxim Gorky 1974 & 1975

We'll be on the Summit May 21 and will definitely check out the glowing toilet. Wonder if it can produce a tan on the posterior. . .

Barb

Pacific Coast/Alaska 14-day cruise in only. . .

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Summit - Alaska, Aug/Sep 2003

I'm not crazy???? I saw the light also. No kidding. Thought maybe it was from "down below". Seriously, I don't know what it was either but it definitely was there. Anyone know why or where it comes from?

Dolphin - 1990

Horizon - 1994, 1995, 1995

Century - 1997, 2000, 2001

Galaxy - 1998

Zenith - 1992, 1999, 2002

Millennium - 2003

Summit 2004

Summit 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;3;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown to Summit 2005

Could you tell us what you were doing for the three hours prior to seeing the water in the toilet glow....... icon_biggrin.gif

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

This has been observed before and adequately explained as follows: The water used in the "black water" system on board the M class ships utilizes the same pipes as the fresh water in the galley; however, at night, the pipes must be cleaned in order to safely re-use the pipes for delivery of the fresh water to the galley. In order to properly disinfect the pipes, am ultra violet light is used. The glow you are observing is actually the disinfection process underway. I'm an engineer and you must trust me on this.

With Compassion for others we build...we fight for peace and freedom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seabee:

This has been observed before and adequately explained as follows: The water used in the "black water" system on board the M class ships utilizes the same pipes as the fresh water in the galley; however, at night, the pipes must be cleaned in order to safely re-use the pipes for delivery of the fresh water to the galley. In order to properly disinfect the pipes, am ultra violet light is used. The glow you are observing is actually the disinfection process underway. I'm an engineer and you must trust me on this.

With Compassion for others we build...we fight for peace and freedom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I might buy the ultraviolet light thing. But, fresh water and black water travelling through the same pipes?? I don't think so (but i could be wrong). I would think the black water piping (waste disposal) would be different from fresh water delivery>?!

icon_biggrin.gif I had to laugh when my husband showed me this post. We sailed on the Millenium a couple of years ago, and the "toilet light" became the running joke at our dinner table. We initially thought it was nothing more than the alcohol induced delusion of one of our tablemates...until we witnessed it ourselves. Veeeeery spooky. Definitely helpful for proper placement in the middle of the night though.

I guess the ultraviolet light is necessary to guide the alligators that live in the sewer pipes on the ship.

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

WOW!

I didn't expect to get such a great response on this subject so quickly. No Anita, we were not in the Bermuda Triangle at the time. Were sailing the Eastern and Southern Carib at the time. SeaBee seems to have the answer with the ultraviolet light but I have to agree with Tbelian. I can't see waste water using the same piping system as fresh water in the galley, unless it's the drain water from the galley. We could be wrong. Maybe someone can supply more info on black water and fresh water piping on ships.

My wife did have a lot of green colored drinks while she was on the cruise. Maybe if she and others had enough of these, they could have caused the glow. icon_biggrin.gif Boy, I'm going to get hit when she reads this one. icon_eek.gif

17s.gif

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

</applet>

Til Summit cruise

Galley water (drainage) along with drainage from sinks, and showers, is technically 'grey water'.

Black water is toilet (sewage).

They do not mix the two. I'm sure seabee was pulling our leg (to some extent).

Mispelled one of my tablemates name, should be Bohdan instead of Bodann. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info Tbelian.

I'll still tell my wife to stay away from the green drinks until we're sure they are not the origin of the glow. icon_rolleyes.gif

Boy, I'm going to get it. icon_eek.gif

James

17s.gif

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

</applet>

Til Summit cruise

No, toilet used when we return to the room at end of night without seeing a light and wake up in the middle of night and there's the light.

Unless room steward is returning to room after we go to bed and re-disinfecting toilet after we go to sleep. Now that's what I call room service. icon_smile.gif

17s.gif

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

</applet>

Til Summit cruise

We are on the Summit 4/16 and we will definitely look out for the light! I do like the flashlight from the deck below theory though.

Azure Seas 1/92

Polynesia 1/93

SS Norway 5/95

Sun Princess 11/99

Grand Princess 10/01

SS Norway 4/02

Horizon 11/02

Summit 04/04

Hey, I just told DH Larry to watch out for the glow as he is much more likely to visit the "head" at night. He said if they flush with sea water it could be those phosphorescent sea organisms. What do you think?

Azure Seas 1/92

Polynesia 1/93

SS Norway 5/95

Sun Princess 11/99

Grand Princess 10/01

SS Norway 4/02

Horizon 11/02

Summit 04/04

Your hubby may have something there Mjmagee. Maybe you can steal some food from the dining room and see what the sea organisms may like. If you can catch a few, maybe they'll be good for night fishing.

Have fun on your cruise and tell Simon the Old McDonald chicken man from 3/26 cruise said hi.

James

17s.gif

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

</applet>

Til Summit cruise

It is just the room stewards nightly hiding spot. How else do you think they can be right at hand the minute you need something if they were not there the whole time? (They used to hide under the beds until the passengers got wise...)

I don't know for sure, but I bet they are using seawater to flush the toilets. Why desalinate water for the toilets?

If they are using seawater, then it is the phosphorescent that everyone is seeing. When it is dark and they are agitated, they glow green.

Hello all,

As far as our tablemates on the 3/26 cruise are concerned I am the keeper of the light, I saw it first well at least I was crazy enough to admitt it first icon_biggrin.gif

My hubby wants to blame it on my Midori Sours but that had nothing to do with it, I asure you.

We have started a KEEPERS of the Light little club fan club going as funny as it seems I really would like to konw what it was from.

One thing we do know is that when we asked the Maitr'D about it and our waiter they seemed to know nothing. I am wondering if this is because they are below the "Light" level being in crew cabins icon_rolleyes.gif

At any rate lets find out what this baby is, and then all celebrate with a Midori Sour for being the great detectives that we are!

Sincerely,

The Keeper of the Lights, First Lady

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

</applet>

Til Summit cruise