Yet another Mt Gay Rum question

cruisejunkie136

I'm cruising with a group of friends the beginning of March with a stop in Barbados. we loooooooove Mt. Gay Rum and were thinking of stopping by the factory.

After reading numerous postings I see the Mt. Gay Visitor Center which is close to the pier is not very eventfull as no rum is produced there and is just a tourist depot...

A few postings indicate the production facility is way up North..

Here are the questions.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do they accept visits??? Is it actually worth visiting????? How far is the drive??

Can we combine the rum factory/distillery with a beach nearby and make it back in time before our cruise ship leaves????

Thanks

No, it's not a factory, but they do have tours. I've been there three times and still haven't done the tour. There is a gift shop and a bar. If you take the tour, the price includes tasting at the bar after the tour. We always just went to the bar where there is inside and outside seating. The photo shows how close you are to the coast from the outside seating area. The main road is between the visitor's center and the water. They sell all of the types of rum you can imagine. At the bar they have a menu of drinks that are delicious. The gift shop sells recipe books for the drinks that they sell as well as rum, hats, t-shirts, maps of the island, etc. This is a very pleasant way to spend an hour or two. I'm not a big drinker, but I do like rum when in the Caribbean and this place has got to have the best rum drinks I've ever had.

You can go to this visitors center and then go to Malibu beach (another rum factory with a beach). I've never been to that beach, but it's not far from the Mt. Gay visitor's center. I always see at least one cab at Mt. Gay.

http://barbados.org/distill.htm

2165882810100375545S600x600Q85.jpg

Can I ask what they charge for drinks at the bar? This sounds like a nice place to get a few yummy drinks! :p

I went to the malibu beach last year. There is a small charge to use the beach. Additional charge for the tour with a drink included.

A drink was $5, but the guy brought me 2. Had to cut the trip short due to rain.

I recommend the Beach 10 min from the ship

Malibu Visitor Centre

Learn more about rum production via a video presentation and a tour through the distillery.

This facility is located on a magnificent beach and features a beach-side bar and restaurant.

Archived