Advice on cruising with a 1 year old

Littlegoo75

I've cruised before, but never with a baby. We are planning on booking a cruise in mid April, and it will be my husband and I and our one year old (he'll be a couple weeks shy of his 1st birthday at the time of sailing), his parents (in their 60's) and DH's sister, her DH and their three kids, ages 4,6, and 9.

I know the older kids will end up spending a lot of time at Camp Carnival, but kids under 2 are not allowed in Camp Carnival, right?

I did read that there was babysitting available on board, but are the hours limited? Is there baby sitting on board when the ship is in port? I am not sure if I want to take him off the ship when we dock in Montego Bay. I really want to spend the day there, but I might end up having to stay on the ship with the baby. I am not worried about Cozumel or Grand Cayman, just Jamaica.

We are actually planning on paying for my in-laws (mom and pop) so we won't feel bad if we ask them to babysit a couple of hours here and there, but I don't want them to miss out on visiting any of the ports of call.

I already plan to take him out of the dining room if he fusses, won't submerge him in the pool, etc. All of those baby things that annoy people that don't have kids (hey, I have been there, done that!).

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't leave my child on the ship while on an excursion - what if something happens and you don't get back? Just my thought.

Anyways, are you not wanting to take him off in Montego Bay because of the excursion you are on or just reports of what you've heard about MoBay? As with any place just be aware of your surroundings.

When we arrived in MoBay we had already decided we were going to Doctors Cave beach for awhile. We had no problems or incidents, my daughter was 20 months old, and then we did a bit of shopping. I was there with hubby, my parents and sister.

I can't help you on the questions about babysitting because we didn't utilize any of that. My daughter was with us the whole time except for some of the later evening stuff when she was sleeping and my parents were with her.

Camp Carnival will be open on port days and you can leave the older children on board but the baby will have to go with you or stay with the grandparents on the ship. I believe a child has to be 2 yrs old by sailing date in order to be allowed in Camp Carnival. The babysitting (they charge by the hour for this service) is for the evening hours after 10pm (until 2 or 3am, cant remember which), but again I don't believe they except little ones under the age of 2. Hope this helps.

Happy sailing :)

Barb

Archived