What to do in Costa Maya???? Please Help!!!

fisherman4life

I dont know if this helps, but my wife and I are trying the Maya Palms Resort in March. They have great reviews on this site and it looks like they have something for everyone. We are doing a snokeling trip plus lunch. Take a look on line and see if this meets your needs.

Just a thought.

I have to piggyback on Fisherman4life on this one - we've never been to Costa Maya and really don't know what to do. We're doing ruins in Belize and beach in Grand Cayman, so we're really looking for something different I guess. Any of the veterans who can help us out - HELP!!!!

Iam not a veteran ,but we are making our third trip to costa maya in about 2 weeks. You can shop in the area right off the ship ,but i would definitely take a cab ride to Mahajual. there are many places that have an all day one price for food and drinks .Most have other things like snorkeling etc. for additional charges. if you read some of the other reviews you will get several names of places to go .Lots of jewelry sale .have to barter thats the fun .mostly sterling but some other things too. my husband loves costa maya because you can do what you want.You don't have to do the cruise ship excursions in this port , you can save alittle money .Have fun

We went to Chacchoben Mayan ruins. They were great to walk around. We had prearranged a tour independently ($43pp) and were back in Mahahual about four hours later. They were also willing to drop us off back at the port, but we didn't want to head back so soon. We had time for lunch and sunbathing on the beach as well as about 45 minutes of snorkeling. We looked at the shops a little but didn't see anything of interest.

there are many places that have an all day one price for food and drinks .Most have other things like snorkeling etc. for additional charges.

You don't have to do the cruise ship excursions in this port , you can save alittle money .Have fun

If you do the 'one price' deal, you will feel obligated to stay in one spot. We choose to walk around, a drink here, a drink there, a snack here, a lunch there, etc. We might spend as much as the one price deal, but we see lots more. Last trip, with beers, margaritas, civeche, whole fried fish -- we spent under $40 for the two of us.

This is definitely a port you can do your own thing and relax for the day.

I really wanted to do a beach thing, but alas, the weather did not cooperate basically the entire trip.

We did take a cab into Majahual though - provide to be a nice walk around. I had a massage - $5 for 10 minutes, but she went for 20 minutes instead. :)

We walked around the port area as well, and ended up at Banditos (we went to Mamasita's in Belize the day before already). They play some pretty good dance music near the swimup bar (yes, I risked it and took a swim that day... brrr!), and had your typical group dance stuff in the main seating area.

But.... They had some MEAN daiquiris and fajitas! I've never had better in my life! 2 beers, 2-28 oz strawberry daiquiris and a plate of chicken fajitas was $40 + tip.

We walked around the port area as well, and ended up at Banditos (we went to Mamasita's in Belize the day before already). They play some pretty good dance music near the swimup bar (yes, I risked it and took a swim that day... brrr!), and had your typical group dance stuff in the main seating area.

But.... They had some MEAN daiquiris and fajitas! I've never had better in my life! 2 beers, 2-28 oz strawberry daiquiris and a plate of chicken fajitas was $40 + tip.

Hi Rizzo -- Where was Banditos? We walked from one end of town to the other and don't remember seeing a swim up bar.

Weather was a bummer wasn't it? :(

2 questions:

How much was taxi to Mahajual and would it be safe to do so with a child?

Thanks!

I have not been to Mahajual yet, but have asked the same question about bringing a child. I was told that it was safe. Also, taxi there is $4pp and $3pp on the way back. Hope that helps.

If anyone has a different take on safety with a child please let us know. Thanks

Costa Maya is wonderful in that you will have lots to enjoy right in the Port Area plus the town is only a $3.00 ride away.

My DH went on a horse riding excursion which he thoroughly enjoyed and I went walking on my own around the town taking pictures and doing some shopping.

There is plenty to see and do between the town and the port area without even booking excursions.

Photos of Costa Maya (pre-hurricane Dean) in the link below.

Kathy:)

We just got back from Costa Maya and I agree with the Maya Palms suggestion. The beach was not crowded there was a total of 12 of us there. We enjoyed the secuded beach, hammocks, food and hospitality. We took the snorkel option and the reef was beautiful. We highly recommend.

Hi Rizzo -- Where was Banditos? We walked from one end of town to the other and don't remember seeing a swim up bar.

Weather was a bummer wasn't it? :(

Banditos is back at the port area - when you walked through there the swim up bar was right in between Banditos and Mamacita's.

The weather completely bummed out the entire trip - I've never experienced anything like that in the Caribbean before!

Banditos is back at the port area - when you walked through there the swim up bar was right in between Banditos and Mamacita's.

The weather completely bummed out the entire trip - I've never experienced anything like that in the Caribbean before!

Ditto that about the weather. We didn't spend any time at the port. Just walked through and caught the cab to town. Great lunch at El Delphin. On the way back through the port, stopped at a little hut for a beer and a margarita behind the pool where the swim up bar was. A really "energetic" couple was dancing on the bar and had to be cold in the water.

Wasn't you though. :) She had blond hair and his head was shaved. :D

What are the closest ruins in Costa Maya? We're only going to be there from 7am-2pm (ship time). That means, because they are 2 hours behind us, that we're really going to only have about 5 hours there.

Do we have time to make it to some really close ruins and get back? Are there any really good operators that anyone would suggest to do this? We have no desire to pay the cruise lines extra, we like to book independently. Thank in advance for the advice!! :)

Ditto that about the weather. We didn't spend any time at the port. Just walked through and caught the cab to town. Great lunch at El Delphin. On the way back through the port, stopped at a little hut for a beer and a margarita behind the pool where the swim up bar was. A really "energetic" couple was dancing on the bar and had to be cold in the water.

Wasn't you though. :) She had blond hair and his head was shaved. :D

If you were at the bar closest to the ship you were at Bandito's. :) And this is how I relate this post to the subject matter - sorry for the thread stealing!

And I was up there dancing for a few minutes with them - the water wasn't that cold, actually, lol. He knew I was on my HM, but I couldn't remember him from anywhere, lol. Must have been the shirt!

we have six in our party 2 in the 50's 2 in the 30's and 2 in the 20's.

we know little about the island and we are having trouble finding excursions to do..

please help us..

all feedback will be appreciated:)

We were just there last week and took an ATV tour. It was $50 per person if you rode two to an ATV. We took a nice long ride through Majahual and the mangroves. Got a great view of the area. We stopped in Majahual for a drink and a bite to eat. Would recommend Fernando from Shark Tours. He was above and beyond accomodating. We had just done the beach in Roatan so we were looking for something a bit more active.

Archived