Cruise Insurance

AmandaL

We will be cruising in November and I was wondering if we should get the cruise insurance through Carnival? I hear that there are other companies that offer it, but my carnival planner guy ranted and raved about how good Carnival vacation insurance is. We have cruised one other time and did not purchase insurance, but knowing our luck, I'd feel better if we had it. So my question is what to do about insurance.

My DH and I purchased cruise insurance for the first time this year for our June 2009 cruise, since we'll be in wonderful Hurricane season. We booked ours through our travel agent. It was a good idea for us with our cruise and the weather, but it's a judgement call :) I think ours was $120 for both of us and covers any medical emergency expenses or if you miss your ship it covers the cost to get you to the next port to meet the ship.

It's a personal decision I think :)

We will be cruising in November and I was wondering if we should get the cruise insurance through Carnival? I hear that there are other companies that offer it, but my carnival planner guy ranted and raved about how good Carnival vacation insurance is.
That's probably because he gets a commission on each policy he sells.

Do a yahoo or google search for vacation or cruise insurance and find what works for you. Carnival charges more, but that is for the convenience.

Ask for a copy of the policy before you buy to see what is and is not covered.

With Respect To other 3rd Party Policies, the Carnival Berkley Policy is “lacking” in these areas:

· Carnival Policy has No Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions

· Carnival’s $30,000 Medical Evacuation coverage is barely adequate for the Caribbean and very low for European Cruises.

· Carnival’s $10,000 Medical coverage is pretty low.

· Carnival has no Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Coverage for Airline Flights or for the Cruise.

· Carnival’s premiums are overall higher than the 3rd party policies which have better coverages. The Carnival premiums are MUCH higher for younger travelers, who can save 50% or more, with higher coverages, by using the 3rd party policies.

The following 3 Policies stand-out for the indicated reasons:

PATRIOT T.R.I.P. is an (almost) comparable policy in coverages (except for too low coverage for Medical Evacuation and for Baggage Delay/Loss), with MUCH lower premiums.

TRAVEL INSURED LITE EXPANDED is about 25% less expensive for Senior Travelers and some 50% less expensive for Younger Travelers. The policy offers much higher Medical Expense and Medical Evacuation coverages, and includes Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions, optional AD&D coverage, 1 kid per adult insured FREE, and Trip Cancellation coverage for Extended School Schedule.

CSA FREESTYLE looks to give the “best bang for the buck” with much higher/better coverag (for all but Baggage Delay/Loss). The policy includes coverages for Missed Connection, Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions when purchased as late as FINAL Payment, Rental Car CDW, and AD&D Flight coverage. The premiums are lower for Seniors and quite a bit lower for Younger Travelers, but you can decrease those premiums by 20% more if you purchase your policy less than 20 days before sailing (I suspect that you lose the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions).

You can compare the popular policies at http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com and at http://www.insuremytrip.com. Check your Health Insurance coverage - our Blue Cross Blue Shield turns out to have a complete "Overseas Package".

ken

<Check your Health Insurance coverage - our Blue Cross Blue Shield turns out to have a complete "Overseas Package". >

I just check with AARP and was told we have 80% coverage after a $250.00 deductable. I could kick myself for not looking into this sooner, say about 10 cruises back. Thank you for your help.

Thats a good idea..... but if you have to be airlifted out, etc. 80% of a lot of money is a lot of money:)

If I book through Costco, I always get their insurance. If not I go to insure my trip dot com and go with the best coverage for the lowest rate. It's always a competitive price. I wouldn't cruise without insurance.......

We will be cruising in November and I was wondering if we should get the cruise insurance through Carnival? I hear that there are other companies that offer it, but my carnival planner guy ranted and raved about how good Carnival vacation insurance is. We have cruised one other time and did not purchase insurance, but knowing our luck, I'd feel better if we had it. So my question is what to do about insurance.

Did your PVP quote a price for you? If not get Carnival's price then check it against some of the online quotes you can get. Premiums are based on travel cost per person. Make sure the coverage is the same for all you check.

<Check your Health Insurance coverage - our Blue Cross Blue Shield turns out to have a complete "Overseas Package". >

I just check with AARP and was told we have 80% coverage after a $250.00 deductable. I could kick myself for not looking into this sooner, say about 10 cruises back. Thank you for your help.

If you are talking about a Medicare Supplement Plan, You have an annual $250. deductible, then 80% emergency medical coverage UP TO A MAXIMUM LIFETIME PAYOUT OF $50,000.

One Air Ambulance could exceed that coverage, forever.

Dan

If you are talking about a Medicare Supplement Plan, You have an annual $250. deductible, then 80% emergency medical coverage UP TO A MAXIMUM LIFETIME PAYOUT OF $50,000.

One Air Ambulance could exceed that coverage, forever.

Dan

Dan; we were insured but received a call last night that the company is no longer in business. Cannot get insurance with Carnival due to the pre existing conditions clause; we are past the 70 day period. Being old, the other companies want $300.00 per person, per cruise, we are going on a BTB. We realize an airlift would be over the top $$wise, so think Carnival can just drop us overboard or on an island. Think this will be a BTB with our fingers crossed. At least we have the Medicare Supplement Plan, that should help. $1,200.00 is out of the question at this time. Rae

I realize the cost for a back to back would be quite high, but not nearly as costly if you actually need it. I've used one of the companies that Ken076 mentioned (the last one) and I have to tell you, they came through for me. I had to cancel my cruise pretty last minute due to a family illness and not only did I get the cost of my cruise back, but also the insurance premium that I originally paid (I still don't get that one). Hopefully one never needs the insurance, but to me it's worth every penny just for piece of mind.

Dan; we were insured but received a call last night that the company is no longer in business. Cannot get insurance with Carnival due to the pre existing conditions clause; we are past the 70 day period. Being old, the other companies want $300.00 per person, per cruise, we are going on a BTB. We realize an airlift would be over the top $$wise, so think Carnival can just drop us overboard or on an island. Think this will be a BTB with our fingers crossed. At least we have the Medicare Supplement Plan, that should help. $1,200.00 is out of the question at this time. Rae

Did you look at insuremytrip.com and the other one linked above. We are old too and our transatlantic with a stay in Europe afterward, air home and pre-x for my heart all covered for under $250. [trip was over $10,000.]

I see you are in the penalty period but if you just booked, that doesn't mean anything. If you are saying that you had insurance but that they went out of business, call some of the online travel insurance companies and explain that. Also try your State Insurance Commissioners office to see if they have a state insurance guaranty pool to cover your situation.

Dan

One thing to keep in mind with any sort of travel insurance: If it's offered by the vendor, it maybe a good dollar price, but you can bet that premium that the policy heavily favors the vendor.

Using a third-party insurance, whether it be a company like CSA, Travel Guard, Access America, etc. or some other provider, typically results in a policy that favors you, the traveler, much more. Also, while it may cost more for non-vendor-supplied insurance, realize you're getting much, much more.

Did you look at insuremytrip.com and the other one linked above. We are old too and our transatlantic with a stay in Europe afterward, air home and pre-x for my heart all covered for under $250. [trip was over $10,000.]

I see you are in the penalty period but if you just booked, that doesn't mean anything. If you are saying that you had insurance but that they went out of business, call some of the online travel insurance companies and explain that. Also try your State Insurance Commissioners office to see if they have a state insurance guaranty pool to cover your situation.

Dan

Will give it a shot tomorrow, at least we have AARP to fall back on. That does take some of the pressure off. Thanks for your time and effort.

We have no right to cruise with the economy in the toilet. Lets hope Change in Washington will be the Miracle that we need. Just heard from one of the German companies we have done business with for years is closing down after 115 years. It is all about the economy.

I was born in a Depression and I am sure I will die in a Depression yet I will do that deed with a smile on my face, if I am cruising. Rae

Archived