Scuba in Aruba or Curacao?

CruzinSouth

I am also doing Aruba and Curacao in October on the AOS. As I have never dived in either destination, I'm really looking forward to this exotic location. I wonder how it compares to Cozumel or Grand Cayman? What are the average depths?

Since many of the dives can be done a shore dives the average depths can be fairly shallow. Curacao isn't known for wall diving like Grand Cayman is, but I'd say the diving is pretty similar. I think Curacao is a little better in that it hasn't been affected by hurricanes the way both GCM and Cozumel have been. Cozumel is unique in that just about all the dives there are drift dives. Like GCM, there is little if any current in Curacao.

Apparently we will be in Curacao for the end of carnival, the Grand Farewell Carnival Parade which takes place from 5.00 P.M till midnight. Since we are in port from 8:00 am till midnight I should be able to dive and experinece the parade. Yippie! :D

• 4 weeks later...
I've also been diving in both Aruba and Curacao. They were both good but if you only pick one, I'd go to Curacao and another vote for "The Dive Bus". They are a short cab ride from the pier.

The Dive Bus website recommends reserving ahead of time, but they do not provide a secure link to submit credit card info. Do you think we can just walk up to the hut and take a couple of divbes with them?

mainelycarib,

Suzy provides an Excel spreadsheet on the website for you to fill out. In it you put when you'll be there, what equipment you want and PART of your credit card information. You then send this to her. Once she confirms she has room you email her with the rest of your credit card information. Not quite as secure as SSL or using Paypal but reduces the chance someone will have your full credit card number.

The Dive Bus website recommends reserving ahead of time, but they do not provide a secure link to submit credit card info. Do you think we can just walk up to the hut and take a couple of divbes with them?

You could try to walk up and get a dive, but that's taking a big chance as they only take small groups.

You really, really, really don't want to miss diving with The Dive Bus folks. I just got back from another trip, and I can't wait to go back!

Just watch out for the blackmail pictures... :D

Wendy

next up

http://www.freewebs.com/grandeur-11-19-09

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

the latest blackmail pix (photos 4-26)

http://www.the-dive-bus.com/index.php?spgmGal=Diving%20with%20The%20Dive%20Bus/March%2009&spgmPage=1&spgmFilters=&option=com_mambospgm&Itemid=10

Here's another vote for the Dive Bus in Curacao. My DH and I did two shore dives with them in February. The first dive was quite leisurely along the drop-off with divemaster Crowley and one other couple. The second dive was just 3 of us--Crowley, my dh and me.--and we made it out to the car pile. The visability was good--not great but better than we'd had the rest of the week in the Caribbean. However the dives were a lot of fun and there was tons of sea life (as well as all the cool junk in the carpile). They do run a first rate operation. Cab to/from the ship ran $10 each way.

--Ellen

Archived