Nervous 11 yr old

2-laner

We will be making our first cruise and first attempt at snorkeling in a few months. My 13 yr old and myself are pretty excited about snorkeling in Cozumel at the reef via a boat. My 11 yr old isn't so sure. She is concerned about sharks out there away from shore. I tried to tell her that I really didn't think this would be a problem. But since I have never been there before, I am afraid my opinion didn't carry much weight. So I thought I would bring it to the experts - you. Do we need to be looking over our shoulders for sharks? :) My daughter would love to hear your responses on this. Thanks :)

We will be making our first cruise and first attempt at snorkeling in a few months. My 13 yr old and myself are pretty excited about snorkeling in Cozumel at the reef via a boat. My 11 yr old isn't so sure. She is concerned about sharks out there away from shore. I tried to tell her that I really didn't think this would be a problem. But since I have never been there before, I am afraid my opinion didn't carry much weight. So I thought I would bring it to the experts - you. Do we need to be looking over our shoulders for sharks? :) My daughter would love to hear your responses on this. Thanks :)

Hi 2-Laner,

For the real answer, this thread should be helpful:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=901768

As far as what to tell an 11-year-old, I think I'd tell her that there probably won't be any sharks at all and if there are, they will be the kind that don't bother people. Maybe she'd like to learn about the different kinds of sharks before she goes? Information goes a long way towards easing anxiety. I'd suggest a book rather than the internet since lots of people like to post the scariest pictures they have!

If she's just too scared when the time comes, you probably won't have a problem leaving her on the boat in the care of the captain. Even experienced divers "call off" a dive if something just doesn't feel right.

Have a wonderful cruise and snorkle expedition!

Kathi

I was reading over the thread you recommended, and I think she will find it encouraging. If anyone backs out, it may be the 13 yr old. She goes in brave, but then sometimes decides she's not as comfortable with it as she thought. While the 11 yr old goes into something aliitle apprehensive, but then just jumps right in usually. But we plan to go with cameras in hand and have the best time we can. Weather permitting. Thanks so much for replying.

Do we need to be looking over our shoulders for sharks?
No, any shark that gets you will not be coming from behind, they will be coming at you from below. :eek: Just kidding.

I have only seen two sharks in the 50+ times I have snorkeled or dove in the Cozumel area. One was a 3 foot reef shark that was no threat at all. The other was a 6 foot bull shark that we sal while diving, as soon as it noticed we were there it left.

Do a yahoo or google search and you'll get no "Hits" if you search for Cozumel Shark attack.

As soon as the other people tell her about the pretty fish and turtles they see, I'm sure she'll be ready to give it a try.

trying some snorkeling before you go? (Get some equipment at Wal-mart and go to the local Y and let them try or rent it if you can from your local dive shop.)

Sometimes it helps to try something new in a controlled environment. This way the 'apprehension' about the new experience is gone. And when you get to the excursion, you have already figured out how to put on your mask, use your snorkel and vest & don your fins:)

I also agree with Kathi. Check out a book from your local library about snorkeling and sharks.

Go snorkeling, enjoy your cruise and bring home some wonderful memories!!

(Only shark I have seen in the wild was a black tip reef shark in Grand Caymen.)

Thank you for all your good advice, and taking the time to reply. Going to check into 'snorkel practice' and see what I can find around here. And the 11 yr old likes the idea of getting some books on the different fishes of that region. May help us know what we are actually seeing once we see it. Can't wait to get down there. :)

Hi,

When we took our son snorkeling for the first time he was 11yrs. old as well. I highly recommend going with a boat-based snorkel excursion. They always have a crew member that will get in the water with everyone. We took the captain aside, anticipating he'd have problems, and asked if a crew member could help him when we got to the site (you're mom and dad, you just don't rate as experts compared to total strangers, go figure). Anyway, the crew member came over while we were sailing out and introduced himself to my son, struck up a quick conversation and told him he was going to show him how to snorkel. When we arrived on the reef, my wife and I quickly got in the water and the crew member worked with him without us around (mom's look of anxiety doesn't help). It took some work on the ladder but eventually he got our son in the water. Once he put his face in the water, that was it, he was heck to keep up with chasing around checking out all the fish. He was the last one out and couldn't wait until we went again. :D

As far as sharks, it's a big ocean and unfortuately few sharks (I've seen 3 in 10 years of diving). You can try some questions like, "when was the last time you saw a bear in the woods? They're there but we don't see them because they don't like to hang around people and neither do sharks?" Tell her, "Due to man hunting them, it's a shame but the sharks are barely able to maintain any population and they're more afraid of us than we are of them". Then, not to brag, take her to my underwater picture site (http://www.randallgamby.com) and show her all the wonderful fish she may see (most are from the Caribbean) and get her to try to remember their names as she "finds" them in the reef (I've spent a lot of time researching the names of the fish in my pictures). See which fish she likes and print off their pictures to take along with you (and maybe google the name to learn a bit more about them). If you make this a game for her maybe she'll forget all about the sharks she won't see.

Randall

P.S. don't go in the "creatures" gallery on my website with her, there are octopi, eels and crabs in it and you probably don't want to go there with her. :p

Randall: What wonderful pictures! I dive, and like to take pictures also, but do not have digital camera. What kind of camera is this?

Hi,

Various types of Canon point and shoots (Canon Powershot A620 at the moment) with the Canon enclosures. I've also added a strobe in the past few years (triggers off the flash of the camera through a fiber optic cable). I've also invested in at least 10 books on how to shoot underwater. Think they've made the difference more than the camera type.

Thanks by the way! :p

Randall

P.S. I have my 2008 pictures I need to add and I'm going diving in the Caribbean in a week so I'll be even more backed up. But I'll get them all on eventually! :D

P.P.S. I've got my new avitar picture I shot this morning in a pool while doing a refresher. ;)

Archived