DEET bug repellant & snorkel ??

DEwoman

Could someone please tell me what kind of bug spray or wipes to bring on a snorkel or beach trip? I understand some brands are not good for the fragile ecosystem. This is new to me. Is there a definite need to use when we go to Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, or Caymans? Thanks so kindly.

Be nice to the ocean and all it's coral and fish. Put your chemical laden bug spray on after you're done snorkeling. I've never been bitten by any bugs while out snorkeling. Wear biodegradable sunscreen if you plan on going into the water.

Thanks, I am reading these posts and I've only been to the Florida Keys and Virgin Islands and never used any of the bug sprays before at all. Are people complaining about the sand fleas at the beches then? Is that it? Thanks!

Could someone please tell me what kind of bug spray or wipes to bring on a snorkel or beach trip? I understand some brands are not good for the fragile ecosystem. This is new to me. Is there a definite need to use when we go to Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, or Caymans? Thanks so kindly.

I've dove/snorkeled all these places and except for Roatan, I didn't need mosquito spray (Roatan was really bad 100 yds. away from the beach). Pick up some Avon skin-so-soft. It's actually a very good mosquito repellant and if you apply it before you hit the beach in Roatan (leave it at home for the other islands) it won't wash off. Plus it's Deet free (I don't do well with Deet). Also talk to your doctor about Belize and Roatan. If you're going in-land at all, my doctor recommended taking anti-malarial pills as malaria is still reported in these countries (though beaches and cities are fine).

Randall

Thanks again. I was wondering, do you have any tips on the best snorkeling at any of those places? Everything looks good to me! Our choices that we saw with Carnival are the Turneffe trip and Goff's Caye at Belize. It seemed like that would be good since they leave from the boat. I appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks again. I was wondering, do you have any tips on the best snorkeling at any of those places? Everything looks good to me! Our choices that we saw with Carnival are the Turneffe trip and Goff's Caye at Belize. It seemed like that would be good since they leave from the boat. I appreciate any feedback you have.

Definitely do Turneffe Caye in Belize, great snorkeling. In Roatan we snorkeled at Anthony's key resort (just be aware it's on the other side of the island so plan on 30 minutes each way). For Grand Cayman do a shore snorkel on your own at Eden Rock (just a short walk from the tender pier) or Sunset House (where I like to go, just a 3-5 min taxi from George Town). Both locations have full dive shops so you can rent day lockers, get directions on where to snorkel and rent any equipment you might need (Sunset House has "My Bar" next to the ocean for relaxing having a drink AFTER you snorkel). Cozumel has the state park and several reefs you can get to from shore. I only dive there but search the web and you'll find several recommendations.

Have fun!

Randall

Archived