Markets in ports

D&S GoGoGo

Hi,

Will be sailing to Belize, Cozumel among a few other places. Does anyone know if there are markets or small grocery stores that you can purchase dried cooking herbs and spices, known to the counrty among other auethentic things right near the port?

Thanks!!

Belize has an small port with quite a few touristy shops. They sold a lot of wood products (bowls, etc) and there were a LOT of knock-off purses and luggage. If you weren't planning an excursion that day, I would say you could waste several hours there shopping, eating and drinking. Beyond the port itself, there wasn't much, but perhaps you could ask a taxi driver to take you to a grocery. Can't remember seeing spices or herbs, but then again, I wasn't looking. I purchased several wood bowls and containers that I use in the kitchen for various herbs and spices :rolleyes:.

Cozumel has a LOT of shopping within walking distance and great beaches too. We usually spend a half day on the beach, several hours in Carlos and Charlies, and then an hour or so walking through the markets. Don't recall seeing groceries or such, but after Carlos and Charlies I am not sure we were seeing everything ;). Again, you could always ask a taxi driver to take you somewhere if nothing is available right there.

Robin

Hi,

Will be sailing to Belize, Cozumel among a few other places. Does anyone know if there are markets or small grocery stores that you can purchase dried cooking herbs and spices, known to the counrty among other auethentic things right near the port?

Thanks!!

In Belize, you will have to go outside of the port area to find something like that. Travel at your own risk.

In Cozumel, go to Chedriau grocery store. It is about 6 blocks to the south of the Punta Langosta pier.

Now the real question is whether or not Customs is going to allow you to bring it back into the US with it being an agriculture product.

Dave

Archived