Dawn Princess Cabin A737 Urgent Details Please

Bellbowrie

Checked the Cruise Personaliser & found that we have been moved from Caribe C443 twin balcony to Aloha A737 (quad??)balcony.

The notes on the deck plan state for A737 " Will accommodate third and fourth person” and "Two lower beds not convertible to queen; shower only".

Our Cruise Summary says beds are "convertible twins" but have our doubts.

We are afraid this cabin has three drop down bunks and a sofa bed. Not exactly suitable for an elderly couple on a 42 day cruise.

Does anybody have recent experience (last 12months) in this cabin or the one next door A735

Also, what is our best strategy to get the "upgrade" reversed. Hoping our TA can organise.

Advice will be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Ross

Checked the Cruise Personaliser & found that we have been moved from Caribe C443 twin balcony to Aloha A737 (quad??)balcony.

The notes on the deck plan state for A737 " Will accommodate third and fourth person” and "Two lower beds not convertible to queen; shower only".

Our Cruise Summary says beds are "convertible twins" but have our doubts.

We are afraid this cabin has three drop down bunks and a sofa bed. Not exactly suitable for an elderly couple on a 42 day cruise.

Does anybody have recent experience (last 12months) in this cabin or the one next door A735

Also, what is our best strategy to get the "upgrade" reversed. Hoping our TA can organise.

Advice will be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Ross

Ross, I just checked the deck plans for the Dawn. This is indeed a regular balcony stateroom which will mean no sofa/sofa bed at all on the Dawn. Regular balcony staterooms are more or less just a bedroom with balcony, and they do not have an actual sitting area or sofa on this class of ship or larger. The stateroom will sleep a 3rd and 4th passenger and it is designated as such on the deck plans. Regular balcony staterooms only offer a shower, no tub, until you get to the mini suite and full suite level, so that is quite normal.

But these two staterooms are noted on the deck plans that the twins can not be combined to form a queen lower bed.

It will have two upper pull out from the wall type twins (that can be stored away if not needed) and two lower twins (non-convertible to queen). So, if this is a problem, you may want to get your TA on this immediately to see if you can possibly switch to another stateroom in this category before they are all gone.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out on this one. ;)

Ross, I just checked the deck plans for the Dawn. This is indeed a regular balcony stateroom which will mean no sofa/sofa bed at all on the Dawn. Regular balcony staterooms are more or less just a bedroom with balcony, and they do not have an actual sitting area or sofa on this class of ship or larger. The stateroom will sleep a 3rd and 4th passenger and it is designated as such on the deck plans. Regular balcony staterooms only offer a shower, no tub, until you get to the mini suite and full suite level, so that is quite normal.

But these two staterooms are noted on the deck plans that the twins can not be combined to form a queen lower bed.

It will have two upper pull out from the wall type twins (that can be stored away if not needed) and two lower twins (non-convertible to queen). So, if this is a problem, you may want to get your TA on this immediately to see if you can possibly switch to another stateroom in this category before they are all gone.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out on this one. ;)

Thanks for your help Toto2Kansas, our worst fears have been confirmed by a CC recently on the ship.

The TA is to try to get us back to original cabin. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks for your help Toto2Kansas, our worst fears have been confirmed by a CC recently on the ship.

The TA is to try to get us back to original cabin. Will let you know how we get on.

Best of luck, I hope you are able to get your original stateroom back, or another that doesn't have all these little differences.

One reason to mark your booking as 'no upgrade accepted' for this very reason. All upgrades are not good upgrades as there are some staterooms that are not equal.

Again, best of luck, and check back and let us all know what happens with this one, please! ;)

Actually, what Toto said may not be the case. I remember reading about the quad balcony cabins on the Sun class ships having a very unusual layout in which three of the beds fold down from the wall and only one bed is down all the time. Hulagirl has stayed in these cabins and posts warnings about these. Here is a link to a thread about this from about a year ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=692591&highlight=princess+quad+balcony

Hope the link will work. Otherwise, try copying and pasting it in the address bar.

Actually, what Toto said may not be the case. I remember reading about the quad balcony cabins on the Sun class ships having a very unusual layout in which three of the beds fold down from the wall and only one bed is down all the time. Hulagirl has stayed in these cabins and posts warnings about these. Here is a link to a thread about this from about a year ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=692591&highlight=princess+quad+balcony

Hope the link will work. Otherwise, try copying and pasting it in the address bar.

OMG-I had forgotten about that. Yes, you are correct, and I remember pictures of these posted somewhere. They said the stateroom was horrible. Let me see if I can locate that post/site that shows the layout. I stand totally corrected on this one.

Thanks for the reminder!

Edited-Found the post with the pictures of the balcony quads...... again, sorry, my error about the twins, this should be more accurate as the pictures show the exact layout.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=421041&highlight=class+quad+balcony+cabin

Thanks for finding the pictures Toto. The best I could do was search for an old thread on the topic and post the link. I remembered Hulagirl's pictures and how horrible the room looked and it sure stuck in my mind.

Toto is correct, if you look at the deck plans there is what looks like a Flower, next to the Quad red dot. the two beds on the floor will be twin only confugration.

OMG-I had forgotten about that. Yes, you are correct, and I remember pictures of these posted somewhere. They said the stateroom was horrible. Let me see if I can locate that post/site that shows the layout. I stand totally corrected on this one.

Thanks for the reminder!

Edited-Found the post with the pictures of the balcony quads...... again, sorry, my error about the twins, this should be more accurate as the pictures show the exact layout.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=421041&highlight=class+quad+balcony+cabin

For the record & to help other with a similar problem in the future the following link is to Dawn Princess Roll Call where we have also been discussing this issue.

It has been confirmed that the cabin has three drop down bunks and some sort of sofa bed. Not the queen cabin balcony we paid for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639107&page=21

May get something from TA today.

Thanks folks

Ross

For the record & to help other with a similar problem in the future the following link is to Dawn Princess Roll Call where we have also been discussing this issue.

It has been confirmed that the cabin has three drop down bunks and some sort of sofa bed. Not the queen cabin balcony we paid for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639107&page=21

May get something from TA today.

Thanks folks

Ross

Ross, again, best of luck on this. Sorry for the confusion.

I know the reports of this stateroom are gastly, let's hope your TA can get this straightened out quickly. Let us know!

Ross, again, best of luck on this. Sorry for the confusion.

I know the reports of this stateroom are gastly, let's hope your TA can get this straightened out quickly. Let us know!

Just received advice from our TA that we have been moved back to our original cabin allocation. This is also updated on Cruise Personaliser.

Have asked that we be marked as not to be moved or upgraded.

Thanks to all for your support and suggestions. Without CCs I feel sure we wouldn't have realised the predicament we were in.

Ross

Just received advice from our TA that we have been moved back to our original cabin allocation. This is also updated on Cruise Personaliser.

Have asked that we be marked as not to be moved or upgraded.

Thanks to all for your support and suggestions. Without CCs I feel sure we wouldn't have realised the predicament we were in.

Ross

i'm so glad you got your other cabin back! i can't imagine 7 days in that cabin let alone 42! yikes :eek:

I just read through this thread and see you had seen the webshots we have of that cabin. So glad you had seen that before I was able to post on here.

Thank goodness you were able to change. To this day I will never forget opening the door to the cabin and thinking they had mistakenly put us in a closet. I couldn't believe what we were in. Thank goodness our daughter at the time was 9 because it was a small, tight cabin.

Glad the cabin was changed!:)

Hulagirl

Thank you for taking those pictures, I have no idea how I could have forgotten them. A picture is worth a thousand words, and seeing those, OMG, thankfully someone could be forwarned. ;)

Ross

Happy to hear you resolved this problem, I am sure you will be much happier in your original stateroom. I remember the 'gasp' that came out of me when I first saw Hulagirl's pictures. And the description made it all the worse.

Have a great cruise, and smooth sailing to you and yours!

I just read through this thread and see you had seen the webshots we have of that cabin. So glad you had seen that before I was able to post on here.

Thank goodness you were able to change. To this day I will never forget opening the door to the cabin and thinking they had mistakenly put us in a closet. I couldn't believe what we were in. Thank goodness our daughter at the time was 9 because it was a small, tight cabin.

Glad the cabin was changed!:)

Thank you so much for posting those pictures, we are hugely greatful for your doing that.

Firstly for understanding the extent of our predicament and secondly being able to demonstrate to the TA that we really had an issue.

It was really only drawing our TAs attention to them that enabled us to get a change back.

I can fully understand your horror as we were going through that without even being there, couldn't sleep and quite depressed. At least you gave us the chance to be able to get out. Otherwise we would certainly have been stuck in it for 6 weeks.

I think we were sort of lucky to get back because the ship is almost full.

I am so glad we had the pictures and you were able to see them. Thank goodness you were able to get your original cabin back.

We first had this cabin on the Sun Princess back in 1999. That was the time we spent 12 days in the cabin with our then 9 year old daughter. The cruise was nice, but it almost ended our cruising on Princess. We had the Grand booked for the following year and when we returned I went to our new TA and had her find out if the new ship had these same horrible cabins. Was so glad to learn that only this class of ship has these particular triple/quad balcony cabins. The couch you see there we had to use for our suitcases. There was nowhere we could store them. So both my daughter and my husband had to climb up to bunks to sleep.

A couple years ago we did two one night cruises to Vancouver B.C. from Seattle. This is when we took the pictures of the Dawn Princess cabin. We were given this cabin as an upgrade (I thought "Oh No, Not Again!") but then decided we would take it for the one night so we could take pictures of it and be able to post them. It is a cabin that you just can't imagine until you actually see the picture. If anyone at Princess is asked about this they will tell you it has an actual bed in the cabin, which we know is not true. My TA at the time of the booking for the Sun Princess told me it did also.

So glad everything worked out for you. Yes, it is definitely true that a pictures if worth a thousand words!

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.

I am so glad we had the pictures and you were able to see them. Thank goodness you were able to get your original cabin back.

We first had this cabin on the Sun Princess back in 1999. That was the time we spent 12 days in the cabin with our then 9 year old daughter. The cruise was nice, but it almost ended our cruising on Princess. We had the Grand booked for the following year and when we returned I went to our new TA and had her find out if the new ship had these same horrible cabins. Was so glad to learn that only this class of ship has these particular triple/quad balcony cabins. The couch you see there we had to use for our suitcases. There was nowhere we could store them. So both my daughter and my husband had to climb up to bunks to sleep.

A couple years ago we did two one night cruises to Vancouver B.C. from Seattle. This is when we took the pictures of the Dawn Princess cabin. We were given this cabin as an upgrade (I thought "Oh No, Not Again!") but then decided we would take it for the one night so we could take pictures of it and be able to post them. It is a cabin that you just can't imagine until you actually see the picture. If anyone at Princess is asked about this they will tell you it has an actual bed in the cabin, which we know is not true. My TA at the time of the booking for the Sun Princess told me it did also.

So glad everything worked out for you. Yes, it is definitely true that a pictures if worth a thousand words!

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks again. Really feel for you on that experience. I think it would have put us off Princess for ever.

I'm surprised there seem to be no more references to these on CC, although a person on our coming cruise had a look at it a couple of weeks ago to confirm what they encountered at a pervious time and she said it it is still the same as your photos. I was wondering if they had refurbished to be better but it seems not.

A new section on CC for horror cabins might be the go???

Yes, this would definitely fit into the cabin horror story.

I honestly don't think they could refurbish these cabins unless they actually combined the 2 that are side by side and make them into one cabin. Then it would work. They are just so incredibly narrow that I just don't think a bed could actually fit in there.

We look back and cringe to think we were all actually in that cabin and know we would never fit in there again. :D Besides, I just can't imagine even trying to climb up to those 2 upper bunks.

Thank goodness for digital cameras and scanners so we can see pictures of cabins. I tried to describe this cabin to a lady here on the CC board a few years ago, but she just wouldn't believe the cabin was this bad. Have no idea if she actually went on the cruise or not. She and her 2 friends were elderly and I couldn't imagine them climbing the ladders. Have always wondered what happened.

Take care and I'm glad everything worked out for you!

Yes, this would definitely fit into the cabin horror story.

I honestly don't think they could refurbish these cabins unless they actually combined the 2 that are side by side and make them into one cabin. Then it would work. They are just so incredibly narrow that I just don't think a bed could actually fit in there.

We look back and cringe to think we were all actually in that cabin and know we would never fit in there again. :D Besides, I just can't imagine even trying to climb up to those 2 upper bunks.

Thank goodness for digital cameras and scanners so we can see pictures of cabins. I tried to describe this cabin to a lady here on the CC board a few years ago, but she just wouldn't believe the cabin was this bad. Have no idea if she actually went on the cruise or not. She and her 2 friends were elderly and I couldn't imagine them climbing the ladders. Have always wondered what happened.

Take care and I'm glad everything worked out for you!

I remember seeing that posting when I did the search & that there was no

acknowledgement. Pity she didn't get back to CC on her return

You take care also and hope your future cruises go well. Maybe sometime do the Australia ones.

Thank you also! I would love to go to Australia. The pictures of your country are beautiful. We met the nicest young couple from there on the Tahitian Princess a few years ago. Hopefully someday we can make it.

Do take care.

Archived