Cabin refrigerators

Pettifogger

Yah, think of them as coolers, not as refrigerators; I'm not sure if ice would melt in one (didn't try), but wouldn't be surprised. You might check on the temperature at which the meds are required to be stored; if it's not under 40F, the cooler is probably adequate. Someone at HAL might have better info on the cooler's temps.

- Richard

Yah, think of them as coolers, not as refrigerators; I'm not sure if ice would melt in one (didn't try), but wouldn't be surprised. You might check on the temperature at which the meds are required to be stored; if it's not under 40F, the cooler is probably adequate. Someone at HAL might have better info on the cooler's temps.

- Richard

We placed ice in our refrigerator on the Westerdam... and it melted.

Verandah cabins do have a fridge, but they are really not cold enough for meds that require refridgeration. They do have special refridgerators that are colder. I would call ship services and alert them to your need for a refridgerater that can keep meds at the proper temp.

If we ask for a special refrigerator, will they put it where the typical one is or will it take up space somewhere else? We're in an outside cabin.

My husband is a diabetic and we've been traveling on HAL ships for over 10 years with no problem keeping his meds in the 'frig' provided in the verandah cabins. Don't get all paranoid about it, they are fine, just not very roomy. Happy Sailing!

His meds need to be at 36-46 degrees. However, if I put ice in my fridge right now at home, I would expect it to melt. Refrigerators are generally kept at 40 degrees. I'll call HAL just to be sure. I appreciate the heads up on this. Never hurts to be prepared.

They might take everything out for you but they won't fill it with water. Unless you want to pay for the bottled water, that is.....for free no. We take everything out and put it in a box under the bed, then put it all back when we pack to leave. That way we have use of the frig for anything we might want to put in it. Usually bottled water or sodas we purchase at the ports. Happy Sailing!

You can also ask your room steward to empty the frig. Bring a couple of appropriate bottles (athletic type) from home and fill them on the ship and put them in the frig. Water on the ship is very pure so no real need for bottled water. You can also take your bottles on excursions that don't provide beverages.

You can also ask your room steward to empty the frig. Bring a couple of appropriate bottles (athletic type) from home and fill them on the ship and put them in the frig. Water on the ship is very pure so no real need for bottled water. You can also take your bottles on excursions that don't provide beverages.

Can you bring can cokes on? Does HAL serve cokes :confused:

TIA

I'm not sure if ice would melt in one (didn't try), but wouldn't be surprised.
They cool to about 25 degrees (F) below ambient cabin temperature. Ice will melt.

His meds need to be at 36-46 degrees.

You'll be fine.

Do all staterooms have refrigerators? Or just Verandah? Dh and I will be in an inside room on the Volendam.
On the R-class ships only verandah cabins (BC and above) have fridges. However, you can rent one for $2/day. Call ship services at 800-541-1576.

Great question. We're going to be on the Eurodam for 10 days and my husband has to take injections that require refrigeration. I didn't even think to check. Would a verandah cabin have a refrig. ? We're in a VE category.

I have had a similar problem. I was on injections of investigational drugs that needed refrigeration. I did not feel confident with the refrigerator in the room and the steward in and out of it. I was afraid something would get messed up with moving things etc. I stored my meds in the medical unit refrigerator and it worked out well. I don't know if you travel by air but as soon as I was on the plane I asked for lots of ice for the meds also. It is always good to plan ahead with the medical conditions. Have a great cruise

Archived