Half Moon Cay - Snorkel By Boat

WARANEEB

I have snorkelled off the beach at Half Moon many times. This trip I am considering the Snorkel By Boat excursion for 1 1/2 hours. If you have gone on this excursion can you please tell me your thoughts? How many people are on the snorkel boat? Did you see a lot of fish? Thank you.

We did this excursion on the day after Thanksgiving last year. My memory is that there was about 25 people and we did see a lot of fish and the visibility was excellent. A couple who swam a litle further out from the boat (as compared to the majority of the group) saw a turtle.

I have done both on separate trips to HMC. First time was in the snorkel area off the beach...it was a fantastic experience; I saw lots of fish....I even came face to face with an octopus! Second time I went out on the boat. It was fun, and viewing the island from the boat was beautiful. The water, of course, was deep. The coral was disappointing ( this was 2 years ago,) and the water was not very clear or calm. I was glad I experienced the deep water snorkel, but would stick to the "from the beach" snorkelling in the future. Much depends on the conditions of the day!

Karen

once in October 07 and again in March 08. There are a lot of fish, the coral is beautiful if you snorkel heading toward the island side. The reef is small but the variety of fish was amazing.

In October the water was much warmer and calmer than in March. We had heavy swells in March that made snorkeling a bit difficult. I have been snorkeling where ever and when ever I can for 10 years, it was hard for me.

All that being said, I will be out there again twice on our B2B in October ;-))

Link to HMC galleries, there are pics from both snorkel trips:

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/half_moon_cay

http://www.pbase.com/dchip/halfmooncaymarch

Cheers, Denise

Archived