Which do you do?? Cash or credit card for sign & sail acct?

kiraryker

We are taking our kids this trip and I'm wondering if we should just put cash on the acct. just in case?? I read where someone's kid forgot to sign out and had a $140 internet charge on their acct.

Which do you prefer? I found that when it was just me & the hubby the credit card on acct. worked fine but now that we will have our kids with charging privlages I am wondering if cash wouldn't be safer?

We have always just used a credit card and have never had a problem, but then I don't have small kids or even teens to cruise with.

Just a couple of thoughts about this--

You could purchase an internet pkg--if they forgot to check out and ran all their minutes out, the package would be used up but no additional charges.

You could restrict their charging privileges on their S&S cards (not give them any)

You could set their charging privileges up with cash but use the cc for yours & your DH's. If they run out of cash, you could decide whether to let their account stand at $0 or add more cash.

You can always check your acct balance on the tv and monitor it that way.

I always use cash. I put X amount on my S&S card from the get go and check balance to see where I am at. I like to not worry about anything messing up with my cards so I deal in cash.

As for my kids they can not buy anything without me or my husband. They are only 9 and 13 and there is nothing they need that I didn't bring or that they can not just ask us to go get.

So you can check as the cruise is going at what you are spending? and if so how does the TV know??(might be a stupid question)

Thanks

It is close circuit from the ship. It's how they put the shore talks and other activities on the tv. You can also call up your S&S balance by using the remote to enter your S&S number.

I always use cash. I put X amount on my S&S card from the get go and check balance to see where I am at. I like to not worry about anything messing up with my cards so I deal in cash.

I usually use cash too. I only have the debit/bank card and I don't like the idea of a hold being put on the card when I have other bills that come out of that. I also like the idea of being able to look at my balance throughout the cruise to see just how much I am spending whether I need to slow down on my spending or not.

We are taking our kids this trip and I'm wondering if we should just put cash on the acct. just in case?? I read where someone's kid forgot to sign out and had a $140 internet charge on their acct.

Which do you prefer? I found that when it was just me & the hubby the credit card on acct. worked fine but now that we will have our kids with charging privlages I am wondering if cash wouldn't be safer?

We don't have kids anymore traveling with us. We used cash on our cruise in Nov 2008 for the first time. It worked out well. No bills to deal with later.

It is close circuit from the ship. It's how they put the shore talks and other activities on the tv. You can also call up your S&S balance by using the remote to enter your S&S number.

Not all ships have the interactive TV where you can see your account(s).

Might be a silly question, but how do you set up a cash account??

You need to go to the Purser's desk as soon as your're on board (huge line usually) and put their minimum amount in cash on your account and if you run out, they'll call you and you have to give them more cash. We just do a cc at check-in and pay it off as soon as the bill comes in, much easier for us.

So you can check as the cruise is going at what you are spending? and if so how does the TV know??(might be a stupid question)

Thanks

Nope, that is not a stupid question by any means...the CCTV system on the ship is set up to receive the databse info on your charges...this is on an OnDemand basis, everything is programmed into the database, your room number, account portfolio and list of charges...each tv has an id number in the database that corresponds with your room number and the folio numbers of everyone in your room; what this does is makes the option of checking your account on your tv possible and keeping it private...meaning the person in the next room can check theirs but not yours...it is really very fascinating! :D

I have used my debit card on most cruises. I have never had a problem -- but you read the horror stories of everyone on the boards that have had a problem, so this last time I used the debit card of my business account and left just enuf money in there to cover my expenses and left the personal account untouched for emergencies.

For the kids, we had $100 OBC per cabin. This was their spending money. I had their tips moved over to my account so their OBC wouldn't be used up by their tips.

Archived