Limon

MAO

Please tell me about Limon Costa Rica.

Need all information! Whats the weather like, what are the beaches like, what fun activities are there, what is the port area like, is there shopping...you get the drift, I want it all;):)

If those of you who have been there can tell me alittle bit I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance, gotta plan next cruise during this cruise withdrawel time:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing! Come on you guys you gotta have something for me;):)

If I post over on the main board someone will inevidably (sp?) tell me to post here.

Does anyone have pics?

What did you do when you were there, is it warm in Jan?

PLEASE help this poor soul learn about Limon:D

Nothing! Come on you guys you gotta have something for me;):)

If I post over on the main board someone will inevidably (sp?) tell me to post here.

Does anyone have pics?

What did you do when you were there, is it warm in Jan?

PLEASE help this poor soul learn about Limon:D

We were in Limon 7 years ago on a Panama Canal cruise on the Sun Princess. The port is walkable, but best to stay with a crowd. There is duty-free shopping and a city market. It's a bit run down in places, and there is crime. We didn't go to the beach there. But we took an excellent cruise through a mangrove swamp, where we saw sloths, crocodiles, caymans, 4 types of monkeys and native birds. Our trip was in April and it was hot. I'm sure that January will be warm. Hope this helps.

DavidnSteph

THANK YOU! It was very nice of you to share your experiance. We are having a hard time finding a cruise with differant stops and Limon and Colon are two we haven't done so I'm trying to gather info

Again thank you!

At the end of the pier in Limon there is a nice craft market to shop in. Not far from outside of the pier area there is a small park. Last week several sloths were seen in the trees in the park. There are some shops outside the pier area but overall it is not a great place or a pretty place to be wandering around by yourselves. Costa Rica is a beautiful county and a place I would without a doubt recommend planning to do an excursion, either through the cruiseline or booked ahead of time through a private vendor to get you outside of Limon to enjoy all the country has to offer. Didn't see any beaches within safe walking distance of the port. Roads/streets are narrow with many potholes within and outside of the city. Temp was low eighties when we there Feb 9th but humidity is very high. Our tour with J.J. took us to the canal to view wildlife and it is best to go as early in the morning as possible. We saw many different birds, the Jesus Lizard, many slothes, and other wildlife, then onto the banana plantation which we found interesting. To a restaurant and beach that the locals visit for lunch and a swim in the ocean. Stopped at a fruitstand besdie the road and sampled chocolate beans, banana's and many other fruits if we had wished. Went to the highest point in Limon for a great view of the port and surrounding area. We also stopped at a local grocery store to purchase coffee and vanilla at great prices. I've not listed all that we did but we did have a great day and hope to return to Costa Rica again someday as there is much more that we didn't get to experience in our day there. Unfortuantely the garbage beside the road detracts greatly from the beauty of the county but then again, it is part of the experience and we overall enjoyed it all.

Here are some pictures from Puerto Limon:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/puerto_limon

It isn't the most scenic city and has a seedy feel to it. It also isn't very large. I recommend taking a tour. If you are adventurous, maybe try whitewater rafting:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/reventazon_river__el_carmen_section_costa_rica

You didn't say when you are going, but although February is normally the dry season, it rained heavily and experienced flooding just a few weeks ago (as you can see from my pictures).

• 2 weeks later...

Looks to me like Cahuita National Park is the way to go:

It's about an hour's drive south of Puerto Limon, can also be visited easily by taxi from either port. The park contains the only mature coral reef on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, and the adjacent village of Cahuita is filled with colorful Caribbean charm, as well as small cafes, excellent restaurants and good shopping. A taxi from the port to the park or village should cost about US$45 each way.

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Natural/Cahuita.html

Looks to me like Cahuita National Park is the way to go:

It's about an hour's drive south of Puerto Limon, can also be visited easily by taxi from either port. The park contains the only mature coral reef on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, and the adjacent village of Cahuita is filled with colorful Caribbean charm, as well as small cafes, excellent restaurants and good shopping. A taxi from the port to the park or village should cost about US$45 each way.

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Natural/Cahuita.html

Did you snorkel while you were at Cahuita N.P.? What did you do once you got to the park? Did your taxi wait or did you have to find another taxi for your return? I've spent a lot of time in Costa Rica, but mostly on the Pacific side and the northern interior. Costa Rica is a "gem" with many wonderful national parks. My only experience with the eastern coast has been on Tortuguero....I have no desire to go back there.

Please tell me about Limon Costa Rica.

Need all information! Whats the weather like, what are the beaches like, what fun activities are there, what is the port area like, is there shopping...you get the drift, I want it all;):)

If those of you who have been there can tell me alittle bit I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance, gotta plan next cruise during this cruise withdrawel time:rolleyes:

The east coast of Costa Rica is very hot and extremely humid. I've never been to Limon but I spent some time in Tortuguero and the humidity was oppressive. Our clothes were always damp. Try to take a very light weight fabric item to wear. Supplex fabric shorts and shirts are the best. The sporting good stores have them as well as LL Bean mail order. Do not dress in resort wear. Teva, or similar, sandals are a good choice. The river area around Tortuguero is interesting for native wildlife and birds. Rafting in Costa Rica is good, but I don't know of any spots close to Limon. Saftety standards in C.R. are not like in the US. Check out all equipment including the raft and vest before hand. This goes for fishing trips, kayaks, and other water sports. My husband enjoyed the zip lines. I couldn't do it. I was all suited up and froze on the platform. The canopy trams and cable cars are great. I don't know if there are any close enough to Limon.

I will probably go to Cahuita N.P. on my day in Puerto Limon. I'd like to find a nature guide that would take a group of 2 to 8.

Here are some pictures from Puerto Limon:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/puerto_limon

It isn't the most scenic city and has a seedy feel to it. It also isn't very large. I recommend taking a tour. If you are adventurous, maybe try whitewater rafting:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/reventazon_river__el_carmen_section_costa_rica

You didn't say when you are going, but although February is normally the dry season, it rained heavily and experienced flooding just a few weeks ago (as you can see from my pictures).

Thanks for sharing....I just may cancel the banana railway excursion and stay on the ship:eek:

Archived