First Cruise / Independence / With 16mth baby

axlebolt

Hi folks,

for my wifes 30th we decided to splash out on a cruise, A) because we have always fancied one and B) because we liked the idea of seeing different place and not having to fly with Joshua our son.

After much deliberation and looking at many of the cheaper cruise lines we finally went for the Independance partly based on great reviews here and partly because of the child friendly aspects such as the Aqua babies stuff.

For anyone interested we are sailing out of Southhampton on the 9th May around the med

So I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer. :)

Whats the independence like for babies? Is there a creche where we can leave them for a bit day/night? If so do we need to pre book / pay?

We specified with the travel agent we wanted the 6:30 sitting for dinner because of Joshua, but were told we where on a waiting list what does this mean? Also why do we have to say what time we are eating? I thought you could eat whenever you wanted.

Ok thats all for the moment but I sure I'll come up with a few more the more I read up on things :)

TIA

-AB

There was a long thread on this subject on the "Ask a cruise question" about a week ago. You might post your questions on that board and also on the family crusing board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

We've never cruised with children so can't be of any help. If you eat in the Main Dining Room, yes, you need to tell them if you want the Main Seating, Late Seating or perhaps Anytime Dining. You can also use room service 24 hours a day or go to the Windjammer Buffet. You'll find lots of food options.

There is a kids club on each ship separated by age groups.

The times usually start up at 9am -12pm then break for lunch.

Then they have afternoon hours until 4:30pm. and break for dinner.

Then have evening hours until 10pm. After 10pm you have

to pay a fee. The older groups have a group dinner for kids at Johnny Rockets that you have to sign up for ahead of time.

Check out cruisinmama's link to the kids club programs, you may

be able to see the schedule for your childs age group.

For the 16th month old, your child is too young for any activities in Adventure Ocean but there is incabin babysitting available. I'm not certain on the price but it's been around $10-12 per hour. You sign up for it at guest relations, and you should sign up early in the cruise because availability is based on what staff has free time in their schedule that week.

There is a small area in the H20 Zone, the Baby Zone, that is specifically designed for babies.

By specifying the 6:30 dining time you asked for traditional dining. Since you were told you were waitlisted, that means you currently are scheduled to eat at the late dining time, typically 8:30pm. If you don't want set dining times, you need to sign up for My Time Dining which allows you to eat at anytime between 6 and 9:30pm. Contact your travel agent about signing up for this; it requires you to prepay your tips.

I just got off Independence of the Seas and there is a baby area by the pool where they can splash and get wet. Its small but it'll do.

There is incabin babysitting that you can arrange at the front desk. I believe it is just offered at night.

There is "My Choice" dining now on Independence. It is located in the King Lear diningroom and you can eat whenever you want there. You have to have "My Choice" dining on your reservation. They charge gratuities each time you dine there and it is put on your room card.

All the babies I saw on Independence (and I saw at least a dozen) looked quite content. Their parents, on the other hand, looked tired!

Archived