MSC Will change your cabin even if it has been assigned!

nononsense42

My tickets arrived today very promptly for the Feb. 28th sailing on the Orchestra. My assigned cabin in the very back end (aft) of the ship, 9223 was "upgraded to a Cat. 11 cabin, deck 12, underneath an eating area.

We are just 2 people and the cat. 9 cabin would hold 4 people, so MSC chose to take ours and give it to someone who wanted a cabin for 4 and "upgraded" us. Now upgrading would be okay, except if you truly wanted the cabin you chose. My husband wanted the aft cabin because he had heard how prized they are, how the balcony is bigger and the wake is beautiful. I had heard that it vibrated, sometimes all night and I was starting to get worried and even thought about asking for a room change. One woman on this board apparently slept in the bathroom on the floor one night and then later moved to another cabin more midship.

I called MSC today and they thought it was fine to move us because they gave us an upgrade. :rolleyes:

If you are a couple and you have a much coveted cabin booked at the aft of the ship, you need to call MSC and see if you still have it and if you are going to be able to keep it.

We have been on 16 cruises with several cruiselines and I have never had an assigned cabin taken away before. It is totally ridiculous.

I am so pleased to hear the positive reviews coming in, but if MSC keeps doing this sort of thing people will not accept it. "I" want to choose where I am going to be on the ship. When I get an assigned cabin, it is "mine".......what is the point of choosing a cabin and then have them take it away?! Some lines offer guarantees, and you don't know where you will end up. Then you give up your choice of cabin location.

In my case it may be a blessing that we were changed, but you may not feel that way if you are really planning on your cabin and its location!

It just isn't right to take away an assigned cabin.:(

bE HAPPY WITH YOUR UPGRADE, I WAS ON THE 1/10 SAILING WIHT A FAMILY OF 10, WE HAD CAT 10 SILMILAR TO 11 & ONE OF US HAD CAT 9. YES, THE REAR DOES VIBRATE A LOT. USUALLY THE REAR CABINS HAVE A MUCH LARGER VERANDA, THESE DO NOT, ALSO I THOUGHT 10 & 11 CABINS WERE SLIGHLY LARGER. BE HAPPY WITH THE CHANGE & SAY THANK YOU. ENJOY, WE DID.

bE HAPPY WITH YOUR UPGRADE, I WAS ON THE 1/10 SAILING WIHT A FAMILY OF 10, WE HAD CAT 10 SILMILAR TO 11 & ONE OF US HAD CAT 9. YES, THE REAR DOES VIBRATE A LOT. USUALLY THE REAR CABINS HAVE A MUCH LARGER VERANDA, THESE DO NOT, ALSO I THOUGHT 10 & 11 CABINS WERE SLIGHLY LARGER. BE HAPPY WITH THE CHANGE & SAY THANK YOU. ENJOY, WE DID.

You missed the point of my post. My point is if someone books early and chooses a cabin in a certain location on a ship and is given that cabin number, then they have every right to expect to have that cabin.

I'm not going to say thank you for this because even though in my case it may be a good thing, for other people it will be a major disappointment.

There are only so many cabins on this ship that will hold 4 people. The "upgrade fairy" benefited MSC because they wanted to sell 4 fares. No other cruise line that I am aware of will take your cabin and give it to someone else.

When we booked our cruise, if I had wanted a cabin elsewhere, I would have chosen one midship with no clubs, eating areas, or pools above or below. As it was, we decided to try the aft for the first time. Now we are in a cabin not of our choice.

I will enjoy my cruise, I always do, but this post is not about that. It is to let others know this can happen in case they REALLY want the cabin of THEIR choice..

My tickets arrived today very promptly for the Feb. 28th sailing on the Orchestra. My assigned cabin in the very back end (aft) of the ship, 9223 was "upgraded to a Cat. 11 cabin, deck 12, underneath an eating area.

We are just 2 people and the cat. 9 cabin would hold 4 people, so MSC chose to take ours and give it to someone who wanted a cabin for 4 and "upgraded" us. Now upgrading would be okay, except if you truly wanted the cabin you chose. My husband wanted the aft cabin because he had heard how prized they are, how the balcony is bigger and the wake is beautiful. I had heard that it vibrated, sometimes all night and I was starting to get worried and even thought about asking for a room change. One woman on this board apparently slept in the bathroom on the floor one night and then later moved to another cabin more midship.

I called MSC today and they thought it was fine to move us because they gave us an upgrade. :rolleyes:

If you are a couple and you have a much coveted cabin booked at the aft of the ship, you need to call MSC and see if you still have it and if you are going to be able to keep it.

We have been on 16 cruises with several cruiselines and I have never had an assigned cabin taken away before. It is totally ridiculous.

I am so pleased to hear the positive reviews coming in, but if MSC keeps doing this sort of thing people will not accept it. "I" want to choose where I am going to be on the ship. When I get an assigned cabin, it is "mine".......what is the point of choosing a cabin and then have them take it away?! Some lines offer guarantees, and you don't know where you will end up. Then you give up your choice of cabin location.

In my case it may be a blessing that we were changed, but you may not feel that way if you are really planning on your cabin and its location!

The did the same to me and my friend and our travel agent had it fixed. They said the same thing about upgrading us but my TA explained that it's only OK to upgrade if you check with the passengers first. A guarantee is one thing but if you have selected a specific cabin, as we did since we also are sailing in the Aft balcony, it is not OK. Did you book through a TA?

My tickets arrived today very promptly for the Feb. 28th sailing on the Orchestra. ....................

I am sailing on the same date and have reserved an aft cabin too. We have our daughter with us so a regular double cabin will not do. I haven't received docs yet so don't know if anything has changed. I totally agree with you that it is not right for a cruise-line to change a confirmed cabin number without communicating with the client. You should have been given the option of this 'upgrade' rather than forcing it upon you.

I must say however that I look forward to meeting you as you seem to have a great attitude about your vacation. At least it won't be snowing eh?

If you would prefer to keep your aft, call your TA and MSC.

I have a TA and our aft cabin was definitely assigned to someone else. My TA got us a cabin more forward and hopefully in a bit better location.

I can't wait to leave this snow behind! I'm very excited about sailing on this ship and I will be with a group of family, so that will make it extra special:)

I noticed in with my tickets this morning a voucher for our onboard credit for the fuel charge, $56.00 each:)

You're saying the aft balconies are not larger than standard ? Has anyone stayed in the aft cabins on deck 8 (Arpa) of the Orchestra ? We're booked on one of those cabins for the March 7th sailing and are expecting a larger balcony. What are the size of the balconies there ? It is considered a category 9.

I have read of this on other lines too, but sorry, can't remember where and point you to a particular post.

We booked our next cruise directly with MSC in the UK. I have booked a four berth cabin as I wanted the option to add my eldest son at a later date if necessary. At the moment there are 3 of us in the cabin. I was told at the time of booking, that as we weren't completely filling the cabin, we may find ourselves reassigned. (He did add it would be unlikely as there were 3 of us. though) If they do move us, hopefully it will be to a suite & I won't be complaining. :)

I've read if the person doesn't buy out the entire cabin that they can stick total strangers together in one cabin. personally I think this would be worse than just switching cabins who knows who the possible roomate would be.

Where on earth did you hear this? I cannot believe this is true at all. It does happen on overnight sleeper trains in Europe..but on a cruise ship???? Lol, there would be mutiny. :D

I agree it's just plain wrong to re-assign cabins without the prior consent of the passenger(s) who reserved the cabin. I am surprised MSC is doing this. When booking an assigned cabin with other lines I have been asked, "would you agree to be upgraded if an upgrade becomes available?". MSC seems to be skipping this crucial step in the booking process. Not good. It's these kinds of missteps that irritate people. I would love an upgrade, pretty much without question. But MSC should get the passenger's consent when booking. Period.

I have heard this happening on other lines as well. Indeed, when I booked my recent HAL cruise, the travel agent specifically asked me if I would accept an upgrade. As my VD cabin was more desirable to me than an 'upgraded' VA-VC one would be (larger balcony), I had her put on the reservation that I would only accept an upgrade to a suite. Had I said that I accepted an upgrade, I do not get the impression they would have necessarily contacted me beforehand.

I personally always travel with my parents, so need a triple room at least. As these rooms are usually limited, I don't think it's terrible of the cruise line to have moved a couple to accommodate a 4-person party in the cabin. That being said, it should have been your option whether to accept the upgrade or not. If you booked thru a TA, I would complain big-time to them, and next time, be sure to specify no upgrades on your reservation.

Trust me I do know how you feel about a cabin change. I booked really early on a princess new year cruise and I'd have been happy if all they'd done was change my cabin. Instead i was informed that the ship was going in to dry dock so no cruise at all. to be fair they did offer an alternative but it was different dates, different itinerary so i declined and got my £600 deposit back

I am a TA, and it is VERY customary for ALL cruiselines to upgrade and reassign cabins. If you have had a cabin reassigned one of several scenarios has occured. (1) you are booked in a triple or quad cabin as a double. All cruise lines will "upgrade" you if they need to sell your triple or quad cabin, some ask your permission, some do not. (2) you or your TA DID NOT remove your booking from the "complimentary upgrade" status. You or the TA must request to be removed from that upgrade designation! You will NOT be given the opportunity to turn it down, and there is no guarantee that you will get a particular category (such as a suite), it will just be a category higher than what you booked. (3) you booked a GTY- guaranteed cabin, even once assigned, GTYs can be changed, after all, you booked a GTY.

It is NOT true that a cruiseline will add other guests to your cabin! Total nonsense! I haven't got a clue where that thought came from! Frankly, it would be illegal to do so.

You could be reassigned from a quad cabin if you are a triple, but highly unlikely UNLESS it is Carnival. Carnival will usually not allow you to book into a triple or quad unless you have 3 or 4 guests. If you do book into a triple or quad as a double by booking online - EXPECT to be moved! Inventory control constantly scours the inventory for these "under" booked cabins!

I have only had 1 cruiseline NOT change a cabin once booked REGARDLESS of occupancy and REGARDLESS of their inventory and that is Royal Caribbean.

I have booked the aft cabin on deck 10 for the Poesia Bermuda cruise April 17, 2010. I wanted the cat. 9 aft but was clearly told by MSC that I may loose the cabin IF MSC needed it for a triple or quad. I opted to book cat. 7 which only holds 2. I did not want to take the chance. Yes, I was warned.

I guess the only real answer is to book exactly what you want, if you are 2 in a room, only book a room that will hold 2. If you do not want an upgrade because you chose a specific cabin, exclude yourself from the automatic upgrade program. And NEVER book a GTY if cabin placement is that important to you. If you are a self-booker, call the cruiseline and request this information. If you book with a TA (thank you), but make sure he/she knows your feelings on this! We can take measures to eliminate any unwanted surprises!

I hope everyone has a great future cruise with MSC, I have clients just off of the Orchestra and they LOVED it!

CAYMUS< WE were a party of 10 & i was in all cat except suites. We stayed in cat 10, which was spacious, middle of ship & no vibations. Other family members were in std & aft. The aft, which is supposed to be same size, seemed slightly smaller & you do get vibations especially when the ship is docking. Std cat is defintrly smaller, we had a sofa loveseat & largewr furniture for storage, plus a slightly larger balcony, also position is midship. Whatever, i`m sure you will have a great time.

I am a TA, and it is VERY customary for ALL cruiselines to upgrade and reassign cabins. If you have had a cabin reassigned one of several scenarios has occured. (1) you are booked in a triple or quad cabin as a double. All cruise lines will "upgrade" you if they need to sell your triple or quad cabin, some ask your permission, some do not. (2) you or your TA DID NOT remove your booking from the "complimentary upgrade" status. You or the TA must request to be removed from that upgrade designation! You will NOT be given the opportunity to turn it down, and there is no guarantee that you will get a particular category (such as a suite), it will just be a category higher than what you booked. (3) you booked a GTY- guaranteed cabin, even once assigned, GTYs can be changed, after all, you booked a GTY.

It is NOT true that a cruiseline will add other guests to your cabin! Total nonsense! I haven't got a clue where that thought came from! Frankly, it would be illegal to do so.

You could be reassigned from a quad cabin if you are a triple, but highly unlikely UNLESS it is Carnival. Carnival will usually not allow you to book into a triple or quad unless you have 3 or 4 guests. If you do book into a triple or quad as a double by booking online - EXPECT to be moved! Inventory control constantly scours the inventory for these "under" booked cabins!

I have only had 1 cruiseline NOT change a cabin once booked REGARDLESS of occupancy and REGARDLESS of their inventory and that is Royal Caribbean.

I have booked the aft cabin on deck 10 for the Poesia Bermuda cruise April 17, 2010. I wanted the cat. 9 aft but was clearly told by MSC that I may loose the cabin IF MSC needed it for a triple or quad. I opted to book cat. 7 which only holds 2. I did not want to take the chance. Yes, I was warned.

I guess the only real answer is to book exactly what you want, if you are 2 in a room, only book a room that will hold 2. If you do not want an upgrade because you chose a specific cabin, exclude yourself from the automatic upgrade program. And NEVER book a GTY if cabin placement is that important to you. If you are a self-booker, call the cruiseline and request this information. If you book with a TA (thank you), but make sure he/she knows your feelings on this! We can take measures to eliminate any unwanted surprises!

I hope everyone has a great future cruise with MSC, I have clients just off of the Orchestra and they LOVED it!

None of the above scenarios holds true for us, as it turns out. We are a family 4 who booked a specific aft balcony cabin and MSC changed that on us without contacting our TA, which we thought was odd. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately based on the recent reviews of the aft cabins, she was able to have it changed back.

All cruiselines reserve the right to move you if you are two people booked into a room that can handle 3 or 4 and it's needed. It's in the contract. Even if you mark your room as "no upgrade" it's still no guarantee. You must be four people in a four person room to have the no changes rules work.

Hi,We are a family of 6 and we booked connecting Cat 9 Aft Cabin on MSC Poesia Nov 30th 09, as we are travelling with two young children the connecting cabin was purchased for Grandparents, do you think it may be likey that the connecting cabin could be shifted as they are not four in this cabin?I couldn't see any other options in terms of double balcony connecting with a quad room on this ship?I am not to concerned and will be happy to just be on the cruise but it certainly would be more handy to have a room next door you can go to after the kids are put to bed!ThanksTracey

Hi,We are a family of 6 and we booked connecting Cat 9 Aft Cabin on MSC Poesia Nov 30th 09, as we are travelling with two young children the connecting cabin was purchased for Grandparents, do you think it may be likey that the connecting cabin could be shifted as they are not four in this cabin?I couldn't see any other options in terms of double balcony connecting with a quad room on this ship?I am not to concerned and will be happy to just be on the cruise but it certainly would be more handy to have a room next door you can go to after the kids are put to bed!ThanksTracey

I would definitely call MSC or the TA you booked through. If MSC needs the cabin for 4 people the grandparents could well end up on Deck 12 like us. Some people have found that their cabin was changed and their TA managed to get it back, but we could not. Good luck.

Archived