Dogs on board???

Briarwood

LOL! Then you better not use the public bathrooms on a ship :p

ewwwwwwwwwwww I know, those things are gross, and the people that don't wash their hands.............yuck.

But truly Kurban, I love dogs, they are one of my favorite things in life.

But people shouldn't be able to bend rules on their own whims.

And jetexpress, I totally agree any service animal should be allowed. But people can be so selfish they ruin things for others. That was my only point.

Just a note...another area that is growing in the use of service dogs are with children (and adults) with Autism.

The dogs are not required to be large...but larger dogs do seem to have a more calming effect than smaller ones for some reason.

Our son is 17 and has Autism.

The downside to this is that unfortunately, there are those who will abuse the system. Shame on those who "pretend" to need a service dog just to bring Fluffy with them.

In the future, it will probably create more paperwork for those who legitimately use a service dog.

It is wonderful to see the changes these dogs can make in the life of a child who otherwise will not communicate.

I'm so glad to see they are doing this, they are doing alot of research on Autism right now and I think it's wonderful.

Dogs rock in the things they can do for us. And the only thing they want in return is love and food. Wow!!!

Carole

ewwwwwwwwwwww I know, those things are gross, and the people that don't wash their hands.............yuck.

But truly Kurban, I love dogs, they are one of my favorite things in life.

But people shouldn't be able to bend rules on their own whims.

And jetexpress, I totally agree any service animal should be allowed. But people can be so selfish they ruin things for others. That was my only point.

Thanks kyrisong, I think we were on the same page just coming from different angles.

Thanks kyrisong, I think we were on the same page just coming from different angles.

I think so too Jet;) I'm all about helping people, I'm a nurse and anything that can help someone be more independent the more power to them.

I just get so jaded here because there are really obnoxious people in this world willing to bend rules and flat out ignore restrictions (don't even go read the kids in adult hot tub threads:rolleyes:)

Anyway I hope your cousin goes and has a ball, my biggest problem with service animals is keeping my hands off of them, I have to practically sit on my hands to keep myself from trying to pet them,they are such noble animals and I miss mine so when I sail. Even had to control myself from trying to pet the drug dogs in St Thomas or St Marten, can't remember which. LOL

Carole

Wow...just...wow...why the vehement flaming? Where in this post did you see anything resembling an unfair judgment of disabled people?

That person said "I am quite sure they were not service dogs". I would definitely consider that an 'unfair judgment' of disabled people.

Also I would like to say the difference between glasses or medication and a service animal is so immense that it baffles the mind one would even try to compare them.

It's only speculation, but I would guess that most people who have service animals need their animal MORE than most people need their glasses or [many of] their medications...

The OP said they witnessed one of the dogs piddling on the deck near the buffet and the owner just walked away...service animal or not that is just unsanitary and wrong. I have seen service animals on cruise ships and I certainly do not have a problem with that...however, I have also noticed that evey service animal I have seen had a responsible owner that did not let their animal do its business on the deck and then walk away.

Great. So if the problem is with the piddling, make that the problem and don't go into random (and IMO ignorant) speculation about whether or not the dogs are service animals and should be allowed aboard. By the way, it is my understanding that urine (both canine and human) is sterile, and we would be at FAR less health risk from germs from it than from touching a railing or an elevator button on most cruise ships...

My big point, thought, is that if an animal is certified as a service animal (which is the only way Carnival would allow it aboard), then that animal IS a service animal, by definition... People's opinions as to whether an animal SHOULD BE certified as a service animal or whether or not the owner is cheating the system are completely useless opinions. If one wishes to weigh in on such a thing, perhaps he/she should contact President Obama and ask to be appointed "Secretary of Service Animal Authentication". Until one has such credentials, though, I consider any sharing of such opinions to be offensive.

I know. I just get upset when some people feel if you aren't blind, there is no other reason to have a service animal.

I completely agree with most of the posts on here. I hate dogs that are kept in purses like Paris Hilton dogs and from what the accounts have been describing, this is the type of activity that was occuring.

I was not trying to yell at woody or you, I was just stating that ANY service dog should be allowed not just seeing eye dogs.

What i tried to state maybe in a poor way is that there are alot of people out there that do not really need to bring there service Animal on the Cruise.....in my eyes Your Cousins dog is a seeing eye dog....he provided more then just comfort to the owner... and the Animal and is more or less of a lack of a better word not just a Pet..(one does not have to be blind to have a seeing eye dog)......As i stated before I have a service animal in my home and he is a comfort animal. and also a pet..he is designed to give my DW a since of meaning....to take care of something...or someone... My DW is in a wheelchair somedays... and i would NEVER insinuate that a HC person should not have a TRUE working Animal with them....

What really bothers me is all the snotty kids running around ships with no parental supervison. My dog is cleaner and much better behaved than most of the kids that I see on cruise ships. I've always thought it was funny to see stores with signs that say "no pets" but they will let the kids in with snotty noses and dirty hands run all over the place.

There was a service dog on the Spirit last week. Better behaved than most children I know... Not my children of course but others.. LMAO

Donna did you see that Service dog also.....It was a great dog....Juli got to know them pretty well on the cruise

What really bothers me is all the snotty kids running around ships with no parental supervison. My dog is cleaner and much better behaved than most of the kids that I see on cruise ships. I've always thought it was funny to see stores with signs that say "no pets" but they will let the kids in with snotty noses and dirty hands run all over the place.

I agree

I worked in a store for several years . I don't think a Rhino could make any more of a mess than some of the little darlings we had come in (and a few of the adults too) much less a dog or a cat.

That person said "I am quite sure they were not service dogs". I would definitely consider that an 'unfair judgment' of disabled people.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this point...I see it one way and you see it another...no harm, no foul...:)

It's only speculation, but I would guess that most people who have service animals need their animal MORE than most people need their glasses or [many of] their medications...

Again, we will have to agree to disagree...personally I think you are being a bit zealous with this blanket statement...my father, for instance, has several heart and blood medications he must take several times daily...yet he does not require a service animal...

Great. So if the problem is with the piddling, make that the problem and don't go into random (and IMO ignorant) speculation about whether or not the dogs are service animals and should be allowed aboard. By the way, it is my understanding that urine (both canine and human) is sterile, and we would be at FAR less health risk from germs from it than from touching a railing or an elevator button on most cruise ships...

I'll have to look up the sterile point...have heard differing theories on that.

My big point, thought, is that if an animal is certified as a service animal (which is the only way Carnival would allow it aboard), then that animal IS a service animal, by definition... People's opinions as to whether an animal SHOULD BE certified as a service animal or whether or not the owner is cheating the system are completely useless opinions. If one wishes to weigh in on such a thing, perhaps he/she should contact President Obama and ask to be appointed "Secretary of Service Animal Authentication". Until one has such credentials, though, I consider any sharing of such opinions to be offensive.

Just wondering why it was necessary to bring the President into this??? :confused:

For the most part, I agree with the first part of your statement...however, like I have said earlier...I have seen service animals on ships and I have never witnessed any of them doing their business on the decks...in fact on our last cruise there was a lady who was severely handicapped in a motorized wheelchair with a service animal, the dog was a beautiful golden retriever and I had to resist the urge to try to pet it...:o...what I learned was the ship had set up a "private potty area" for the dog in the handicapped suite she occupied...so puppy never had to worry about doing her business in the public areas.

Based on that and previous observations, I would indeed question a human's need for a service animal if he/she is letting it do its business anywhere on the ship except in its own private area...so, again, we will have to agree to disagree...no flaming or name calling necessary, it is perfuctly ok to have differing opinions...;)

So if the problem is with the piddling, make that the problem and don't go into random (and IMO ignorant) speculation about whether or not the dogs are service animals and should be allowed aboard. By the way, it is my understanding that urine (both canine and human) is sterile, and we would be at FAR less health risk from germs from it than from touching a railing or an elevator button on most cruise ships...

Just a little info....Urine contains very little bacteria because the bladder itself is sterile. However, the urethra and genital areas aren't. Also, if a person or animal has any type of urinary tract infection or kidney infection the bacteria is passed on out with the urine. Myself, I don't care how sterile urine is...I don't want to touch it...That is so nasty.

It is DISGUSTING to know that a dog piddled on the deck and what is worse...a crew member had to clean it up. IMO The guest should have been charged for the crew having to do that. Service dogs, with proper documentation, should be allowed on the cruise ships. All of the service dogs I have ever seen have always been very well trained and they would never piddle on the deck.

If in fact Carnival is going to allow (which I do not think will happen) people to bring their pets on board I WILL STOP cruising with them. I have very bad allergies and I would not be able to do it.

Briarwood, , I know you said you were on the Miracle but what sailing was it that you were on?

I was on this same cruise with Briarwood and Wasiii. It was Dec 7, 2008 southern Caribbean. And yes, I saw the little white dog, but that was the only one I saw. I didn't think nothing of it except that it was a service dog.

My brother in law is diabetic and has had several seizures. Their dog knows when the seizure is coming on and alerts my sister. That dog has saved his life a time or two.

Their dog is what I call a "foo foo" dog.... a pomeranian. She is an energetic tiny little ball of fur!! LOL She is very much a lap dog. She is a member of the family and loves most everyone.

So, the size of the dog doesn't matter. My brother in law looks healthy, you would never know he has an illness or why he might have his dog with him.

FYI - My sister and BIL do NOT travel with their dog for the most part. We just cruised on Princess and they left her in the care of some friends.

Just wondering why it was necessary to bring the President into this??? :confused:

For the most part, I agree with the first part of your statement...however, like I have said earlier...I have seen service animals on ships and I have never witnessed any of them doing their business on the decks...in fact on our last cruise there was a lady who was severely handicapped in a motorized wheelchair with a service animal, the dog was a beautiful golden retriever and I had to resist the urge to try to pet it...:o...what I learned was the ship had set up a "private potty area" for the dog in the handicapped suite she occupied...so puppy never had to worry about doing her business in the public areas.

There is a member on here that is handicapped and uses a wheelchair. She posted on here I think about a year ago that she brought her service dog on board. A lab. Mentioned that he accidentally did his duty on the lido deck near the pool.....which isn't the norm, but it does happen from time to time. The dog had never been on a ship so it could have something to do with that........

She did say they had their balcony set up for him to do his duty.....

So it is not unheard of.......

It is not the end of the world:rolleyes:

Well...... Let me begin by saying that my life revolves around my dogs and horses. My DH and I love our dogs like they were family. (He even carries a pic of his little dog in his wallet and drags it out to show anyone who will look, saying, "Let me show you my grandbaby." :rolleyes:) Honestly, I can't imagine my life without a dog in it....

I have been on the Miracle recently and never saw a dog on the ship, but that doesn't mean it never happened. If I HAD seen someone with a dog, I would have gone right up to them and told them how cute the dog was and how much I missed my own dogs back home. And then out of curiosity, I would have asked if it was a service dog. Not because I wanted to throw a fit if it wasn't, but because I would have wondered if Carnival is now allowing pets onboard....which I can't imagine them doing. If I had seen a dog leave a puddle on the floor and the human on the end of the dog's leash just walked away, I would have stopped the person and asked, "Did you know your dog left a puddle back there?" Maybe they didn't notice? But that's just me..... It is totally unacceptable for a dog to leave puddles on a cruise ship....ANY part of a cruise ship, but especially on Lido where so many people are barefooted....

For what it's worth, I don't think any pet should be allowed on a cruise ship. Service dogs are not considered "pets". They have a very important job to perform. It is up to Carnival to accept the animals as service dogs. If someone cheats the system with fake service dog papers on their dog, shame on them! I'm sure this can be done by veterinarians who are less than honest, and I KNOW there are vets like this out there...

I love my dogs dearly, but there is no way I would ever subject them to a week on a cruise ship. :eek: They would be miserable! Plus, why would I want to spend my cruise time cleaning up after and caring for my dogs and worrying about them? It is just WRONG for someone to bring a pet on a ship for many reasons, including but not limited to the obvious.

BUT I also believe it's wrong to take an infant on a cruise for many reasons including the health & safety risks for the baby, but that is a whole nuther can of worms......(donning my flame suit)

I think the real issue here is that the owner did not take responsibility for his/her service dog. I have also seen many service dogs in all shapes and sizes and for various reasons. The owners are usually very responsible, as they should be. I have also seen people abuse the system and register their "pet" as a service dog in order to have their pet in a "no dogs allowed" building. Again, whatever the reason this service dog was "servicing" on the cruise, it sounds like the owner was fully capable of cleaning up the "mess" and should have done so.

I was at an alumni function and a woman brought her service animal - a monkey - to the event. I friend of mine stood too close in the buffet line and the animal tried to bite him. She claims to need the animal for emotional support. He's not allowed by definition in public restaurants but she's sued the county for discrimination. I'm not sure of the status of the case but this post made me think of it.

The monkey was scary.

Just returned recently from a lovely cruise on the Carnival Miracle, after trying both Princess several times, and RCCL, (havn't cruised Carnival since 2000)and was very surprised to find that several passengers had brought their small dogs on board, and were walking around the ship with the dogs in tow....including through the buffet, and adjacent restaurant. One of them piddled on the floor in the area between the buffet and the restaurant part, and the owner just carried on as if nothing had happened....someone could have slipped in the wet spot. I found this appalling, and the owner just kept walking, and yes, I'm sure he knew. I was sitting at a table where I saw it happen, and had to tell one of the staff so they could mop it up.

Is this the norm? I have NEVER seen this on any other ship in my 10 plus cruises, and have no objection if someone needs a service dog, but these were just people's pets. I am very surprised that Carnival allowed these pets on board.

any non service animal should be thrown overboard immediately. End of discussion.

Again, we will have to agree to disagree...personally I think you are being a bit zealous with this blanket statement...my father, for instance, has several heart and blood medications he must take several times daily...yet he does not require a service animal...

It was very consciously NOT a blanket statement -- thus the use of words like "most" and "many of" and "it's only speculation". There is no doubt that there are many instances where people genuinely need a certain medication and their lives are in danger without that medication. I do not feel and am not trying to say that the need for a service animal is greater than the need for that sort of medication. On the other hand, there are also plenty of people who take medications that they don't particularly need or even ones that they have cheated the system to obtain...

Do you really think, though, that it should be OUR PLACE as complete strangers on a message board to weigh in and judge whether they "really need" their medications or not? Shouldn't that instead be between them and their doctors? I say that weighing in as to whether a stranger we see on a ship "really needs" their service animal is every bit as presumptuous and inappropriate as trying to decide if their medications are really necessary...

Based on that and previous observations, I would indeed question a human's need for a service animal if he/she is letting it do its business anywhere on the ship except in its own private area...

I'm not exactly sure how the need for a service animal relates to the manners or propriety of the person responsible for taking care of and cleaning up after the dog. No question, letting a dog do its business on the Lido deck and not cleaning up after it is unacceptable behavior. Guess what? Even the disabled can be jerks who don't behave properly! It has NOTHING to do with whether the dog is really a needed service animal...

so, again, we will have to agree to disagree...no flaming or name calling necessary, it is perfuctly ok to have differing opinions...;)

I don't have a problem with having a differing opinion. I love different opinions. My problem is in sharing an opinion - ANY opinion - on a topic that is not any of our business. I actually believe in civil rights, and I believe that the right to privacy concerning one's health issues is, in fact, a civil right...

I was at an alumni function and a woman brought her service animal - a monkey - to the event. I friend of mine stood too close in the buffet line and the animal tried to bite him. She claims to need the animal for emotional support. He's not allowed by definition in public restaurants but she's sued the county for discrimination. I'm not sure of the status of the case but this post made me think of it.

The monkey was scary.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was grocery shopping in a Ralph's market in California and behind me in line to check out was couple, and a monkey...in the kid part of the shopping cart, wearing a diaper and eating a mango. My son was like 4 at the time and thought it was funny, I thought it was gross that a monkey in a diaper was around the food that I was going to eat.

I asked the manager of the store about it, and he told me they had a permit which stated the monkey was healthy and trained and allowed in public places, so he let them in.

I still think it was kinda gross. :eek:

As for dogs on cruises, I was a Special Education teacher, and one of my students had a little tiny toy poodle that came to class with her, because she had several absence seizures per day (a minor type of seizure where the person seems to stare into nothing for a few minutes, as opposed to a more severe seizure when the convulse). Anyway, from what the girl's dr. said, the doggie was trained to smell these seizures before they began, and could warn the girl, who then warned her aide and myself so she wouldn't fall or get hurt.

Maybe the little dogs you saw did something like this?

Archived