Dogs on board???

Briarwood

any non service animal should be thrown overboard immediately. End of discussion.

Oh man I would like to see you try .

The ship may be filled with kid haters, chair hogs, smokers ,non tippers, and dress code offenders.

But do not ever underestimate how crazy animal lovers get when they see an animal harmed.

I am a deaf person and I have a pomeranian that I got from Dogs For the Deaf in Central Point Oregon. I could have taken my little Missie with me when I cruised, but I left her home and boarded her in a kennel, because the cruise lines have rooms that have special lights and etc that notify a person. I feel that only seeing eye dogs or service dogs should be allowed on a cruise line, These dogs are specially trained to go potty at a certain time of the day, to go under the table in a restaruant, so they are not seen, but I think with these people who took their dog lied and said it was a service animal just so they would not have to pay a kennel bill or the dog may have some serious problems that now one would take care of it (in other words it is spoiled rotten). I think what cruise lines should do is require a note from a physican stating that the dog needs to come with them, then this kind of thing would come to a stop on the cruise ships and people would know that the person got a note from a physician stating that they needed it. Carnival has also started a program now where Handicapped rooms are no longer advertised so non-handicapped people could get them. Now when you call to make your reservation, you have to ask for one, they are the only cruise line that is doing this and I think it is a great idea.

I think what cruise lines should do is require a note from a physican stating that the dog needs to come with them, then this kind of thing would come to a stop on the cruise ships and people would know that the person got a note from a physician stating that they needed it.

I believe this is already the case. Still, that is not good enough for some of the nosy people around here. They believe that it is their right to second guess the word of the physician (that Carnival has already accepted, incidentally)...

It was very consciously NOT a blanket statement -- thus the use of words like "most" and "many of" and "it's only speculation". There is no doubt that there are many instances where people genuinely need a certain medication and their lives are in danger without that medication. I do not feel and am not trying to say that the need for a service animal is greater than the need for that sort of medication. On the other hand, there are also plenty of people who take medications that they don't particularly need or even ones that they have cheated the system to obtain...

Those people who cheat the system to obtain meds are worthy of scorn, to be sure...this would be one of the few sticking points between us...because it just seems like you reserve your scorn for those while exonerating anyone who is thought to have a "service animal"...I am not accusing you of anything, just saying that is how it appears to me and, again, there is that difference of opinion...;)

Do you really think, though, that it should be OUR PLACE as complete strangers on a message board to weigh in and judge whether they "really need" their medications or not? Shouldn't that instead be between them and their doctors? I say that weighing in as to whether a stranger we see on a ship "really needs" their service animal is every bit as presumptuous and inappropriate as trying to decide if their medications are really necessary...

ok, so I would have to agree with you there...:)

I'm not exactly sure how the need for a service animal relates to the manners or propriety of the person responsible for taking care of and cleaning up after the dog. No question, letting a dog do its business on the Lido deck and not cleaning up after it is unacceptable behavior. Guess what? Even the disabled can be jerks who don't behave properly! It has NOTHING to do with whether the dog is really a needed service animal...

I wasn't pointing out the manners or propriety of the animal's owners, the thing I was pointing out was all service animals are trained not to do that sort of thing...I used to volunteer at a service animal training facility in Virginia and I can state as fact this training is intense and it would be about 10 million to one that a service animal would have an "accident"...

I don't have a problem with having a differing opinion. I love different opinions. My problem is in sharing an opinion - ANY opinion - on a topic that is not any of our business. I actually believe in civil rights, and I believe that the right to privacy concerning one's health issues is, in fact, a civil right...

Having a discussion on a forum board about what one observes and others opine about the circumstances does not violate anyone's civil rights...nobody here is violating that person's civil rights...it is merely a discussion on a board...noone here, I think, has inquired as to that person's medical history so there is no civil rights violation...I can understand that you are upset when you think people are trashing another person who may or may not be disabled but to equal that to a civil rights violation would be make every one of those entertainment news shows illegal...gossip is venomous and deadly to be sure but it is not a violation of anyone's civil rights and this is not gossip, this is just a discussion among CC members.

Whether the dog was or wasn't really a service dog can't be determined. We have already established that they come in all shapes and sizes and serve a multitude of purposes.

That said, I'm disgusted that a woman claiming to have a service dog would allow it to pee and leave the mess behind.

My husband and I are huge dog lovers. We have five and compete in conformation, flyball, agility, field work and disc with our pack. That said, we suffer the stereotypes caused by irresponsible dog owners who allow their dogs to go to the bathroom all over the place, and worse, leave it behind. For anyone who wants to use a service dog to allow this to happen is irresponsible and a major detriment to the responsible service dog owners out there.

There is a member on here that is handicapped and uses a wheelchair. She posted on here I think about a year ago that she brought her service dog on board. A lab. Mentioned that he accidentally did his duty on the lido deck near the pool.....which isn't the norm, but it does happen from time to time. The dog had never been on a ship so it could have something to do with that........

She did say they had their balcony set up for him to do his duty.....

So it is not unheard of.......

It is not the end of the world:rolleyes:

amen...

much ado about nothing;)

There is a member on here that is handicapped and uses a wheelchair. She posted on here I think about a year ago that she brought her service dog on board. A lab. Mentioned that he accidentally did his duty on the lido deck near the pool.....which isn't the norm, but it does happen from time to time. The dog had never been on a ship so it could have something to do with that........

She did say they had their balcony set up for him to do his duty.....

So it is not unheard of.......

It is not the end of the world:rolleyes:

Kurb, I never said it was the end of the world...I used to volunteer as a service animal trainer and I know from that experience that the odds of a service animal having an "accident" is about ten million to one...yes, accidents do happen and I am not disputing that...;)

Kurb, I never said it was the end of the world...I used to volunteer as a service animal trainer and I know from that experience that the odds of a service animal having an "accident" is about ten million to one...yes, accidents do happen and I am not disputing that...;)

No you are not.....but one in about 10 million:p Those odds would make it pretty much unlikely:p

Even the dog whisperer will tell you **** happens:D

Those people who cheat the system to obtain meds are worthy of scorn, to be sure...this would be one of the few sticking points between us...because it just seems like you reserve your scorn for those while exonerating anyone who is thought to have a "service animal"...I am not accusing you of anything, just saying that is how it appears to me and, again, there is that difference of opinion...;)

Not exactly. I am saying that I have no right to judge or inquire into the private business of ANY of these people - those who have medications that may or may not be legitimate and those who have service animals that may or may not be legitimate. It is, quite simply, none of my business. Nor yours. Nor anybody's here. If they satisfy Carnival's requirements and Carnival allows them aboard, that is really all any of us need to know...

I wasn't pointing out the manners or propriety of the animal's owners, the thing I was pointing out was all service animals are trained not to do that sort of thing...I used to volunteer at a service animal training facility in Virginia and I can state as fact this training is intense and it would be about 10 million to one that a service animal would have an "accident"...

You are certainly right about the training, although "10 million to one" is certainly overstating the odds. They are animals. They may just have an accident someday... It would certainly be the exception and not the rule, but it would not be entirely improbable...

And it should also be noted that with animal training of any sort, the training must be continued and reinforced or it will not stick. If the owner happens to be a "jerk" and doesn't maintain the training, the odds of the dog having an accident would go up considerably...

No you are not.....but one in about 10 million:p Those odds would make it pretty much unlikely:p

Even the dog whisperer will tell you **** happens:D

OMG, you just made almost fall out of my chair I was laughing so hard!!! :D

When I went through the training course I was told that a properly trained dog will "never have an accident" hence the incredible odds...service animals of all types are only as good as their human trainers...maybe this one's trainer wasn't so great??? ;)

By the way, I had to quit after a year of doing it...it broke my heart every time I had to turn the dog over...I would get too attached to them...:(

Not exactly. I am saying that I have no right to judge or inquire into the private business of ANY of these people - those who have medications that may or may not be legitimate and those who have service animals that may or may not be legitimate. It is, quite simply, none of my business. Nor yours. Nor anybody's here. If they satisfy Carnival's requirements and Carnival allows them aboard, that is really all any of us need to know...

agreed :)

You are certainly right about the training, although "10 million to one" is certainly overstating the odds. They are animals. They may just have an accident someday... It would certainly be the exception and not the rule, but it would not be entirely improbable...

When I went through the training course I was told that a properly trained dog will "never have an accident" hence the incredible odds...service animals of all types are only as good as their human trainers...maybe this one's trainer wasn't so great??? ;)

And it should also be noted that with animal training of any sort, the training must be continued and reinforced or it will not stick. If the owner happens to be a "jerk" and doesn't maintain the training, the odds of the dog having an accident would go up considerably...

OMG, you just made almost fall out of my chair I was laughing so hard!!!

By the way, I had to quit after a year of doing it...it broke my heart every time I had to turn the dog over...I would get too attached to them...:(

LOL! I love Cesar Milan:D

And I loooove dogs:) Especially mine:D

I have a friend that also trains service dogs......she knows how much I love dogs and asked me if I wanted to train with her.......I had to pass......I'm like you I would have a hard time giving them back also:(

I love being able to get on the same page with somebody with whom I initially seem to disagree! Thanks for being open-minded.:)

I was on a Princess cruise in 2002 & saw a dog wandering around the adult pool area. I called the Purser's desk & they said a "very good customer" smuggled it aboard & had been reprimanded. On the Pride last Dec saw a service animal for a blind lady & there was an obvious difference to me. The dog was not an issue at all. I for one would stop cruising if they allowed dogs - half the reason we get away is so we don't have to listen to the 4 dogs we have next door.

I was on a Princess cruise in 2002 & saw a dog wandering around the adult pool area. I called the Purser's desk & they said a "very good customer" smuggled it aboard & had been reprimanded. On the Pride last Dec saw a service animal for a blind lady & there was an obvious difference to me. The dog was not an issue at all. I for one would stop cruising if they allowed dogs - half the reason we get away is so we don't have to listen to the 4 dogs we have next door.

Smuggle a dog:confused::p That could be a whole new topic:p:D

Archived