Dogs on board???

Briarwood

I have a ?

If someone is allowed to bring a (quote)service animal onboard , do they have to pay 2nd or 3rd person rates .

I have nothing against them onboard personaly , unless I step in crap . Then someone might be short an animal . ;)

A child is charged a rate , I think an animal should be charged as well , JMO .

You're always whining about everything. Everything is Carnivals fault blah blah blah. If you hate the company so much don't cruise with them.

LMAO!!! I hate carnival sooo much, that's why I'm platinum:rolleyes:

BTW what the hell are you smoking:confused:

I have a ?

If someone is allowed to bring a (quote)service animal onboard , do they have to pay 2nd or 3rd person rates .

I have nothing against them onboard personaly , unless I step in crap . Then someone might be short an animal . ;)

A child is charged a rate , I think an animal should be charged as well , JMO .

It would be ridiculous to charge someone who GENUINELY needs a service dog for bringing one.

Obviously if it was a CHOICE to bring an animal(aka a pet if it's a choice), being charged extra makes sense, but IMO a service dog is a necessity to some of the people that have them...it's not something they can just leave behind for the hell of it.

Bringing your child on a cruise is a choice. So that's not really a valid comparison to a service animal.

That's basically saying a blind person should have to pay more for a cruise because they have a seeing eye dog.....and again, IMO, that's not right.

I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, severe anxiety,post traumatic stress, and severe depression. My doctor advised me to get my rock certified as a service dog in case's where I felt I needed the support. She was a rottie, she was certified and no she didn't wear a working vest but we kept the paperwork with us. I didn't bring her on the cruise with us she stayed with her "grandma and grandpa" which spoiled her rotten. It was her vacation as well. Yes I missed her but I didn't think it was fair to have to answer to why there was a rottie on board and why. The answering the "why's" were just about as stressful. She did go through training to look for panic attacks and let me tell you she was awesome at picking them out. We had to put her down last April and my heart breaks daily. I am looking for a rottie puppy to have trained again for the same thing but again they won't go on cruise's with us because I don't feel I need one on a cruise my hubby is there and he too is trained very well to pick up on those darn panic attacks.

LMAO!!! I hate carnival sooo much, that's why I'm platinum:rolleyes:

BTW what the hell are you smoking:confused:

Then don't come here ripping Carnival everyday and supporting all the lying whiners that come here with their tales blaming Carnival for everything and taking no responsibility for themselves

as someone who trains service dogs for their first year ( see my avatar)... the first and most difficult thing we teach is to releive on command... my dogs are taught starting at 6 weeks of age, that they can only "go" when I tell them it is time to go. so that "accidents" like that don't happen. My guess is that the dogs are like the OP said, and are "emotional support" dogs, which in MHO give real service dogs a bad name. My mothers husband is a psychologist and said that just about anyone can request the need for an emotional support dog, and they do not require any professional training like the service dogs trained for the blind, like mine.. etc. they are mere "pets" that get to go everywhere. they are not certified as a service dog, not trained as a service dog... they just make the owner feel more comfortable. IMHO, if they do not possess certification, they should not be allowed. Just my thoughts...

as someone who trains service dogs for their first year ( see my avatar)... the first and most difficult thing we teach is to releive on command... my dogs are taught starting at 6 weeks of age, that they can only "go" when I tell them it is time to go. so that "accidents" like that don't happen. My guess is that the dogs are like the OP said, and are "emotional support" dogs, which in MHO give real service dogs a bad name. My mothers husband is a psychologist and said that just about anyone can request the need for an emotional support dog, and they do not require any professional training like the service dogs trained for the blind, like mine.. etc. they are mere "pets" that get to go everywhere. they are not certified as a service dog, not trained as a service dog... they just make the owner feel more comfortable. IMHO, if they do not possess certification, they should not be allowed. Just my thoughts...

Hey, where are you training in Virginia? I trained for a year in Hampton Roads back in the early 90's. I agree with you fully on the differences between a sewrvice dog and an emotional support dog and I agree with your thoughts...just a thought...:D

Then don't come here ripping Carnival everyday and supporting all the lying whiners that come here with their tales blaming Carnival for everything and taking no responsibility for themselves

Ripping Carnival:confused: You are hilarious!!! How about every now and then you come out of your naive little shell of a world you live in and say something nice:p:D

Hey, where are you training in Virginia? I trained for a year in Hampton Roads back in the early 90's. I agree with you fully on the differences between a sewrvice dog and an emotional support dog and I agree with your thoughts...just a thought...:D

hi bulldog !! I live outside of Lynchburg, .. I train for the Guide Dog Foundation in New York... have been involved for about 3 years.. great work, isn't it? to see the finished product, leading the way for his / her new owner? It takes my breath away.. to know that you were involved in something like that.. to make that much of a difference for someone who you don't know and may not ever meet ?? it is a satisfying feeling... though I must say that it is sooo difficult to part with the dog after so much time together... I say.. " not again !!!!"... but then do it all over again !! very rewarding... thanks for the comments.

My family also raises puppies that will be trained as guide dogs for the blind. They are raised, trained, and socialized from the age of 7 weeks until 18 months before entering formal guide dog training for 4 to 6 months. After that, they spend an additional 4 to 6 weeks in training with the blind person that they will guide. The training of these dogs and their owners is first rate and the working dog will lie quietly under the table while their master dines. No one should be concerned about a legitimate guide dog, which is easily identifiable.

IMHO, no legitimate service dog of any type would be carried around a public place. The dog that the OP observed is not a service dog. It is a dog belonging to a person who is scamming the system.

HUMMMMM....maybe people should go over to the RCCI board and read your posts on Freedom of the Seas...:rolleyes:

My mama says..If you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all...

hi bulldog !! I live outside of Lynchburg, .. I train for the Guide Dog Foundation in New York... have been involved for about 3 years.. great work, isn't it? to see the finished product, leading the way for his / her new owner? It takes my breath away.. to know that you were involved in something like that.. to make that much of a difference for someone who you don't know and may not ever meet ?? it is a satisfying feeling... though I must say that it is sooo difficult to part with the dog after so much time together... I say.. " not again !!!!"... but then do it all over again !! very rewarding... thanks for the comments.

Yes, it is a great feeling to know you are making a huge difference in someone's life! I volunteered for training service dogs for Canine Companions for Independence, I could only do it for a year for several reasons...the biggest of which was I was on active duty and had to transfer...and the sad sad fact that I grew so attached to my animals it broke my heart to have to give them away...:(...still, it was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. :D

P.S.- the hardest one I had to train was an Alaskan Malamute puppy named "Sire"...he was trained to be a hearing dog for a deaf person...it was a gratifying experience to see him when he was put through his paces and passed the inital training test with flying colors!! Then I had to turn him over for the formal training...(don't tell anybody but I cried like a baby when I turned him over ;))

I can see your point, but on the other hand who wants an animal peeing and crapping all over the decks? No way that is being cleaned up and sanitized every time.

People bring babies/toddlers on these cruises that crawl on the decks. I just think there are major health issues here. This is probably not a popular opinion, but I am not sure any service animal belongs on a cruise ship unless they have a sanitary solution to deal with the dogs' elimination.

I would dare say infants and toddlers on cruise ships pose a much greater "health issue" to the other cruise guests than any service animal ever has.

IMHO, if they do not possess certification, they should not be allowed. Just my thoughts...

Well, perhaps when you become Chairman of the Board of Carnival corporation, you will get to make such decisions. ;) Meanwhile, if Carnival says they meet the criteria and are allowed, that is all any of us need to know.

Archived