A strange request for anyone cruising in the near future....

MamaParrotHead

My 9 year old daughter and I are redecorating her room (in a seaside theme), and I thought it'd be neat to get some pretty, small glass jars and bottles and fill them with sand from different places and decorate and label the containers as to where the contents came from. If anyone cruising in the next few months is agreeable, I was going to ask that you bring along just a small ziploc and while you're enjoying your fabulous vacation on various beaches of the world, if you could posibly grab a cup or so of sand and put it in the ziploc, and send it to me (along with obviously labelling it as to where it came from), I'd gladly pay for postage (although I may suggest you double or triple baggie it, LOL.

No need for Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan or Cozumel, as we're headed there in the fall and would love to bottle our own memories from there. :)

I know it's crazy, but if anyone could make that extra effort, a 9 year old "beach baby" who happens to live in land-locked Iowa (and her mom) would surely appreciate it. :)

Email me at the address below if you're interested.

Thanks.

Really? I've purchased seashells and starfish from the old dudes on the roadsides and such, had them in my carry on and declared them...I wouldn't think it'd be any different. Now that I think about it, I actually have had a few bottles of sand from Bermuda from when I was younger that someone purchased in a gift shop (they had pretty labels and such on them) brought back for me.

ETA: I just found this, "Pure sand, such as a small container of decorative beach sand, is usually allowed.". I just don't want anyone to think they'd get in trouble for me, LOL. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

Really? I've purchased seashells and starfish from the old dudes on the roadsides and such, had them in my carry on and declared them...I wouldn't think it'd be any different. Now that I think about it, I actually have had a few bottles of sand from Bermuda from when I was younger that someone purchased in a gift shop (they had pretty labels and such on them) brought back for me.

I can't remember what specifically the custom's form said. I could be wrong. Would it be considered something agricultural? I know we had some sand in a coke bottle at a resort in GC and a guide told us we couldn't take it onboard.:confused:

My 9 year old daughter and I are redecorating her room (in a seaside theme), and I thought it'd be neat to get some pretty, small glass jars and bottles and fill them with sand from different places and decorate and label the containers as to where the contents came from. If anyone cruising in the next few months is agreeable, I was going to ask that you bring along just a small ziploc and while you're enjoying your fabulous vacation on various beaches of the world, if you could posibly grab a cup or so of sand and put it in the ziploc, and send it to me (along with obviously labelling it as to where it came from), I'd gladly pay for postage (although I may suggest you double or triple baggie it, LOL.

No need for Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan or Cozumel, as we're headed there in the fall and would love to bottle our own memories from there. :)

I know it's crazy, but if anyone could make that extra effort, a 9 year old "beach baby" who happens to live in land-locked Iowa (and her mom) would surely appreciate it. :)

Email me at the address below if you're interested.

Thanks.

If I can ever get my problems here at the office fixed I'll be in Progreso early next week. I'd be more than happy to grab some sand from Corona Beach!!!

:)

Send me an email with the address and I'll get it for you!!

:)

MPH,

When you're in Cozumel will you be going across to PDC, Akumal or Tulum? If not, I'll be headed that way at the end of April.

Joe

Actually, we're trying to make it simple this time around (first time taking the kidlets) and just hitting Chankanaab and maybe a shop or two before we get back on the port. Anything you have the time to scoop up would be appreciated! :) Thanks so much.

Archived